Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser noob needs HELP!

hi everyone,

some time ago i bought a 300 mw laser diode and an axiz housing.

I managed to remove the old diode from the housing, and replace it with the new 300 mw one.

Now i am left with a laser housing with a diode installed correctly (i managed to make it this far)

What I need is somebody to explain to me how to properly power this thing entirely so I can play around with it!

Morgan

Please see the links in my sig. They give a basic intro to start with and loads of links to follow to find the info you need. Also be creative in your use of the search button!

Don't forget to introduce yourself and tell us a little about you in the, "Welcome", section and read the FAQs. Also have a look at the, "Rules and Stickies", section.

Welcome to LPF.

M
:)

Gata

You have a few different options at this point.

Number two is to either get a host or something to hold the components inside and a driver to regulate current to the diode. Look in the Laser pro shop at either the flex drive or micro drive.

There are many combinations of hosts and drivers and batterys that can be used depending on your budget. The cheapest at this point would be to build your own driver or get a micro drive from rckstr.

Anyway I suggest going to the help and tutorials section and looking at the beginners guides for further information. And as always, the search button is your friend.

Last edited:

Kulhu

You have a few different options at this point.

Number one is wire the diode directly to a battery and play around with it for a few minutes max and then search for a new diode. Not recommended.

Number two is to either get a host or something to hold the components inside and a driver to regulate current to the diode. Look in the Laser pro shop at either the flex drive or micro drive.

There are many combinations of hosts and drivers and batterys that can be used depending on your budget. The cheapest at this point would be to build your own driver or get a micro drive from rckstr.

Anyway I suggest going to the help and tutorials section and looking at the beginners guides for further information. And as always, the search button is your friend.

Don't do number one, thats the number 1 killer of diodes.

Morgan

Very poor advice Gata. If you don't want a ton of flaming posts please don't mention that top suggestion again. It might be okay for Youtube but not here. We do things properly. Batteries are Constant Voltage power sources. LDs need a Constant Current power source. You can find a good demonstration video in the, "I want to build a laser thread", below. Have a view. It's the best way to waste a diode other than smacking it with a hammer.

There are also cheaper alternatives for drivers but the OP will probably find those after reading the links in my sig and visiting the, "Help and Tutorials", section as Gata rightly suggests.

M

Last edited:

Gata

If you say so.

Maybe I should have just told him to find a post by Morgan and follow the links in his sig. I guess that would be the way to properly do things.

EDIT: You apparently didn't understand that it was a joke
I'll edit the first post just to avoid further problems. My way of getting a point across is understandably not understood.

Last edited:

Morgan

No, I didn't understand it was a joke. If it was meant that way then fair enough, a laughing emoticon or, "j/k", would have let us know. I wasn't the only one who misinterpretted that. Perhaps the OP could have done too and blown his diode?

Apology accepted. ;)

M

DTR

I did not see a joke in there.

Also your response gave the impression that giving him bad advise would be better than no advise. Which is certainly not the case.

Gata

Speaking to someone in real life is totally different, that is the way I speak to people outside of the internet and with tone and what not I can get across.

I do apologize if I did cost anyone a diode, just shoot me a pm.

Peace?:beer:

first of all, thank you for all of your speedy replies.

second of all, DON'T WORRY! i instantly knew there was a joke intended and ill have you all know my i wont be attempting to attach a battery directly to the diode, so it lives.

---Jake---