Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser levels

How do laser levels project a beam across the surface of the ground? My friend is a landscaper and he wants something he can see in the sunlight but he would like to make it rather than buy it. He is a machinist and can design the host.

Last edited:

wouldn't that make a "fan" shape? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0sV7kj-8E ^
level-laser-line-level-800x800.jpg

I am looking for an on the wall style thing ^ just on the ground

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe its the same things just oriented differently.

Yes it is just a line lens, the angle and orientation will affect the output you guys are referring to

So instead of aiming straight out is it more aimed at the wall at a given angle?

If you aim it with the line parallel to the surface you get a fan-type or plane output. If you align the lens 90 degrees in the plane parallel to the ground (x/y axis), but 30 degrees or so in the perpendicular plane to the ground (x/z axis), you will get the alignment type output that many leveling tools use. Adjusting the x/z axis rotation will adjust how far the laser line can project, I believe. Adjusting the x/y rotation will give you an intersecting plane with the ground :p until it hits 0 degrees, at which they are parallel planes

Last edited:

DrSid

Anyway, common levels use eye-safe 5mW lasers. These make nice dot, which is usually visible even in daylight. Not so much in full sunshine. But if you spread the power into a line, it's basically only visible indoors, or in the evenings.
You could get a lot stronger green pointer (like 200mW), use the same or similar line-generating lens, and it would be visible in daylight. But it won't be eye-safe. At some distances, even the line can be too bright.

@Blackwolf
A level with a potentiometer for power adjust would be great... I can help designing the electronics if you want it.

Just get yourself the module and the generator lens, and I can help with electronics. Pm me.