Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser legality in Australia

LiquidTech

ok so i want to get a sanwu 304 green laser pen, can i get it if im in the act and if not is there a way to get past the laws?

You risk it being seized by customs if you purchase it outside of your country. About your only certain way is buying it inside Australia. But, you will have to know someone who will sell you one.

GhostDog98

I agree with paul, however if you read this thread (pinned): https:// laserpointerforums.com/threads/actual-laser-laws-by-country.53770/
You can see this note: I've been told you do not need a permit if you are a member of an approved astronomy organisation or if you own a weapon permit.

So, if you can get into an astronomy club, you would be fine(ish)

Hi
Have a host made or purchase one then get your 520 12mm module from DTR and put it together your self
Rich:)

I agree with paul, however if you read this thread (pinned): https:// laserpointerforums.com/threads/actual-laser-laws-by-country.53770/
You can see this note: I've been told you do not need a permit if you are a member of an approved astronomy organisation or if you own a weapon permit.

That is actually not true. That was an opinion that turned out not to be the case. If you are importing a laser pointer over 1 mW or 5 mW depending on where you live in Australia, it is subject to confiscation regardless of even trying to get an exemption prior to ordering it. I believe once you have it you may get away with using it for astronomy, but that won't help you get it imported.

GhostDog98

That is actually not true. That was an opinion that turned out not to be the case. If you are importing a laser pointer over 1 mW or 5 mW depending on where you live in Australia, it is subject to confiscation regardless of even trying to get an exemption prior to ordering it. I believe once you have it you may get away with using it for astronomy, but that won't help you get it imported.
ahhh, yea that sounds correct, fortunately last time i checked the diodes themselves are not illegal, nor are the drivers; Some people have gotten away with stuff by shipping the diode and driver separately

To my best understanding lab lasers are not restricted either. Therefore, you can certainly get the parts needed to build or repair such a laser. Of course these can also be used to build a pointer.

GhostDog98

To my best understanding lab lasers are not restricted either. Therefore, you can certainly get the parts needed to build or repair such a laser. Of course these can also be used to build a pointer.
The bill that was passed defined a laser pointer as portable, just make it so powerful it needs 240v mains.... kappa

You can run any number of low power lasers off an AC main too. Just use a wall wart. I have many of these.

There are quite a few chinese sellers that have a warehouse in Austrlia and ship from it. No customs involved.

That is not correct. That exemption only applies to carrying and using. If you want to import a high power laser you need to apply for the full Import permits. And they are not easy to get.

That is correct to a certain point. As long as the lab lasers are not battery operated they are legal. The Law is pretty much any Pointer or "similar device" that is battery operated.

Eg, My Argon laser is perfectly legal.

Yes, making any Argon laser portable/battery operated would be a huge task considering the high current requirements. I guess I should have added that lab lasers can't be made portable, but that is not something I have even done with one.