Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Institute of America weighs in on handheld 445nm

WRM

Hello Everyone, I'm reposting this as I just read an entire thread where some members think that they have stronger, more resilient eyes than others and don't think that they need to wear protective goggles when viewing a 1W 445 in their bedroom. One member stated that he's taken many reflections from mirrors in his room and that his eyes are still perfect. Simple science tells you that you are making a large mistake. Please don't try to convince yourselves that it's OK to do any of this. You only have one set of eyes.

This article was in Photonics Spectra a few days days ago. The Laser Institute of America weighs in on handheld 445nm lasers. It's really nothing new; but it confirms everything that we've been saying regarding 445nm safety; and it comes from a well respected entity (LIA). Please read it as you await the delivery of your 445nm laser (especially if you ever thought that we over hype laser safety on this forum). Thanks, Bill

LIA: Class 4 Portable Lasers Pose Risks (photonics.com | Aug 2010 | Business)

All you can do is keep saying it. This thread should be made a sticky in each section of the forum.. WEAR YOUR GOGGLES!!!!

I think I've read somewhere that the eye can correct some small damage by "reassigning" close cells in the retina, but that only works if there are any left at all!

Imagine all of the arctic owners shining their arctics at white bedroom walls in the dark with no goggles. It makes my eyes hurt to think about it!

They have all seen the warnings, there's not much more any of us can do...

DJNY

Imagine all of the arctic owners shining their arctics at white bedroom walls in the dark with no goggles. It makes my eyes hurt to think about it!

They have all seen the warnings, there's not much more any of us can do...

Even WITH the Arctic goggles it is dangerous!
I´m happy that many people cancelled their order after waiting for so long and never got an Arctic in their hands.

Even WITH the Arctic goggles it is dangerous!
I´m happy that many people cancelled their order after waiting for so long and never got an Arctic in their hands.

Yeah that is also true, assuming you are using the worthless pieces of crap wicked sent with the arctic.

At least they look cool though!:crackup:

DJNY

That´s true. I was happy to see them when I opened the package after getting it from customs :cool:

But after I tested them...

:mad:

DON`T TRUST WICKEDLASERS!!!

To me, Wicked Lasers lousy "safety" accessories coupled with the way they priced and promoted the Arctic is the most dangerous part of all this. Now many, many people see these high-powered portables as high-tech toys, but they're certainly not toys. The included safety apparatus NEEDS to work well. Nothing to be done now though except keep pounding safety into people's heads.