Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser in eye! Help!!

Back in October, a friend accidently shined his blue 2w laser in my eye directly. Ever since then whenever i close the eye that it did not shine into, there is this grey dot right in the centre of my eye, where ever i look. It can get really annoying. So far i have not been to see anyone about as i have looked online and it says it will go away naturally, but it has be 5 months!!

He said he bought his laser illegally or something and that it was labelled as something else. It is increadibly bright. You can see the full beam at night and just looking at it causes temporary dots or smudges. But i got it in my eye directly from about 1 and a half metres away. will the dot get bigger? what do i do??

Laser looked like this, if not it may be this one
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...hVCVxoKHTPBAx0Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=G9ngbl59fi_a5M:

Last edited:

diachi

Go see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist. You should have went to see them sooner, as there's more of a chance they can do something then.

Unfortunately chances are the damage is permanent - your brain may compensate for the blind spot to some extent so that you no longer notice it, but the damage will always be there.

Maybe get a new friend too ...

Tare is not such thing as purchasing a laser ,illegally, or legal, when you purchasing a laser tare is responsibility even if your purchasing a 1mW laser or 1kW laser you have to be responsible, the seller is not responsible for your friends stupid act.
When people get laser in the eye you must go immediately to the doctor or next day, or same day, your lucky it wasn't at 405nm,
even if you file a lawsuit against your friend it will not bring back your eye.
pointing laser at eyes is :banned:

Last edited:
Retinal burns do not heal.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the damage is done, and it's long past the time anything could have been done about it. What' you're seeing now, is what you're gonna continue to see the rest of your life.

On the plus side, it's not likely a doctor could have done anything for you 5 months ago either, except to give you anti-inflamatories, possibly reduce the damage somewhat.

Go see an ophthalmologist.

Unfortunately, as several of the members here have pointed out, the damage will more than likely be permanent. The best thing to do would be to go see your ophthalmologist or optometrist.

How long was the exposure? Was it a quick swipe or was the laser being aimed at your face?

Razako

No real point in going to a doctor now unless you wanna see how bad the damage is. They can't do anything to repair it anyway.

Vision

This is just unacceptable. As a law student, if I had a friend like that, I guarantee you that I'll drive him homeless in damages. GBH, endangering life,..

Wouldn't even care if it was by accident or not, handling any laser over 100mw, I wouldn't even consider pointing it anywhere near a living being. Man, I'm mad. Guess that's the downside of having handheld lasers so easily available. Any idiot can buy one. I'm pissed. So, sorry for your eye. As others suggested, you better get it looked at.

Razako

This is just unacceptable. As a law student, if I had a friend like that, I guarantee you that I'll drive him homeless in damages. GBH, endangering life,..

Wouldn't even care if it was by accident or not, handling any laser over 100mw, I wouldn't even consider pointing it anywhere near a living being. Man, I'm mad. Guess that's the downside of having handheld lasers so easily available. Any idiot can buy one. I'm pissed. So, sorry for your eye. As others suggested, you better get it looked at.
Well it depends on how much he likes his friend. Even then it would be hard to sue the guy. His friend could just be like "I didn't do that. Prove it!" Sadly, this is the inevitable side effect of having powerful 445 lasers all over ebay where anyone can buy one for $60. Idiots buy them and then hurt someone because they have no idea what they're dealing with.

Last edited:

Vision

Well it depends on how much he likes his friend. Even then it would be hard to sue the guy. His friend could just be like "I didn't do that. Prove it!"

Yeah, I know.. I can't bare the thought of damaging my eyes to something like this tho.

Doesn't sound like it was intentional, though obviously reckless. Accidents do happen, such is life.

Personally, unless the friend in question is very well off, I'd want an apology, but move on after that.

Also at this point, pursuing legal recourse would be difficult, given the amount of time that's passed. Playing devil's advocate, it would go a long way in court to discredit the plaintiff, that there's such a large delay between the incident and any complaint being made. Since there is no documentation of the incident at the time, or immediately after, defense could very well just argue that the damage was not done at that time, but some other time.

Yeah, it wasn't intentional, and he has apologised many times, i have told him not to be so reckless with it. Anyway thanks for the advice!

ok, thanks :) it was being aimed at my face, not sure if he was trying to aim behind me or not, but as soon as it hit my eye i instantly flicked my head around, so it wasn't hitting for that long.

I wasn't happy with him, thats for sure haha, but he was very apologetic and sorry, so i forgave him.