Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Hobby

What do you use your laser pointer for the most? I guess mot people have fun burning stuff with their lasers :D

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
the main thing i use my laser for is playing with my cats (its only a 5mw). also, when we lose power in the house, i use my laser instead of a flash light to get around the house.

i used to bring it on road trips so i could point it on reflective signs on the high way but im older now and dont do stupid stuff like this anymore lol.

i enjoy using it outside when there is a lot of fog so i can see the beam. in the summer we frequently get intense thunder storms and the clouds are very low. our house is in a rural area and on top of a ridge. sometimes i am able to hit clouds if they are low enough.

when it is snowing i like shining my laser at icicles and also enjoy shining it thru the snow as it falls. it makes the beam look sparkly because all the little ice crystals light up in its path..

so yeah these are the main things i do with my 5mw green laser.

Hey coldshadow, what 5mw laser would you recommend to be the best? I'm looking for my FIRST laser and I want it to be a good one. I'll also be using it to mess around with my cat ;D and possible star pointing (I heard 15mw might be better for star pointing though). I'd appreciate you help in this. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome :) Happy to be here!

That keychain will be mine by the end of this week, thanks! I was looking at this other one but wanted to ask you if you have any knowledge of its quality..... http://laserglow.com/galileo.html . Would this have a better beam than the keychain or not?

You dont think 15mw is good enough for star pointing?? I suppose 35mw will have to do then. Why not have a little more power right, lol. I just want to be cautious becuase I'm not to familiar with lasers ya know.

tommygreen23 said:
Laserglow is a great and reputable company, they sell high powered completely FDA compliant lasers, but their lower powered lasers are more expensive than other companies. the laser you have picked out there has a max output of 5mW, but the diffrence is it can be left on till the batteries go dead, hence its huge size. it dissipates heat real well and would be great for starpointing in my opinion. it would be visible, but faint. if you want a more visible beam at night, go with a 15mW, it will have a pretty noticible beam. you can also get one form dragonlasers for the price of the galileo, but you can only leave it on for 100 seconds at a time.

hope all this helps! welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the info and welcome Tommygreen23!

I just noticed that the keychain laser Coldshadow recommended me uses button batteries.  How long would that particular model run on those types of batteries?  I'm going to suspect that they arent cheap too, lol.  Is there another 5mw laser thats as compact as the keychain but uses AAA or AA batts??  I rather go for a laser that uses common batts.  

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

Light in all of its permutations, and how it is generated in myriad ways, and how it interacts with things, has always fascinated me. Lasers hold a special place in that fascination - no other light source can come anywhere near the color depth and geometric perfectness of a laser beam, and I am as awestruck by those beams today as I was the first time I saw one. Nor can any other light source match the extreme diffraction effects that coherent laser light can produce.

I use laser pointers to explore light's interaction with the world, and for pure enjoyment of that interaction. Consider this: less than 50 years have passed since the first laser was invented in 1960, and fewer yet since they became generally available. Only a couple of generations have had the opportunity to see coherent light in history, and we are among them. The great majority of people that have ever lived, from paupers to kings, never got to see what light really IS, and what it can do.

Perfect light at our command. At the click of a switch, a green line springs into the night sky from a slender, unassuming device we can hold in one hand. It is a very rare and special thing, that device, and that light.

Just saying hi to everyone. i have been dying for one of these lasers for about six months now and i found the DL website and then this forum. I really like the DL site and i think the fact that they link to a forum where, technically, anyone could bash their product actually says alot about the quality of their lasers. I am a beginning noviced in this but all i know is that I MUST have one of these. This is my "red-rider BB gun" if you will. :) Im sure i will be posting many many questions over the next month or 2 as i save for my laser. I am interested in the 125mW DL laser. i was wondering what the beam distance is on the 125 model (miles). Also, what are the best goggles to get and for an inexpensive price? would any old red tinted sunglasses work as long as they block out the proper amount of light from the dot????? Cause i can just go to a store in town and pick up some red tinted sunglasses for like 10-15 bucks. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

T

timelord

Welcome to the forum mate and have a surf and a read to find out all you need to know about goggles in the safety section. You'll find varies reviews on the DL 125mw which is a very good laser i have one myself ;) Once you get the feel of the forum i hope you'll find it a good place to hang out and talk about our favourite subject laser.

Regards Lee

T

timelord

Timelord said:
Welcome to the forum mate and have a surf and a read to find out all you need to know about goggles in the safety section. You'll find varies reviews on the DL 125mw which is a very good laser i have one myself  ;) Once you get the feel of the forum i hope you'll find it a good place to hang out and talk about our favourite subject lasers.

Regards Lee

S

SenKat

Welcome aboard, ImYoDaDy2 !! Whatever you do - do NOT just get regular sunglasses for this hobby - that is the worst thing you could possibly do for your eyes ! Sunglasses only serve to open your pupils wider, thus letting in more, potentially harmful light. I posted the same question a while back - and am VERY glad I did - definitely check out the safety section on here first - then read, read, and more reading to get up to speed about some do's and don'ts in the laser world. Above all else - safety is paramount - but so is FUN !
Nice to have you here - enjoy !!

the number 1 thing I used my previous lasers for, as I am in the process of getting new ones, besides burning and person fun, is showing it to people who have never heard or seen anything other than those 1 dollar red lasers. Seeing their reaction when a balloon bursts or a match ignites it's truely priceless. ;D ;D

NS0201

ImYoDaDy2 said:
Just saying hi to everyone. i have been dying for one of these lasers for about six months now and i found the DL website and then this forum. I really like the DL site and i think the fact that they link to a forum where, technically, anyone could bash their product actually says alot about the quality of their lasers. I am a beginning noviced in this but all i know is that I MUST have one of these. This is my "red-rider BB gun" if you will. :) Im sure i will be posting many many questions over the next month or 2 as i save for my laser. I am interested in the 125mW DL laser. i was wondering what the beam distance is on the 125 model (miles). Also, what are the best goggles to get and for an inexpensive price? would any old red tinted sunglasses work as long as they block out the proper amount of light from the dot????? Cause i can just go to a store in town and pick up some red tinted sunglasses for like 10-15 bucks. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Rule number one:

Red pulsar from WL $179

Laser goggles $40-$100

Eyes Priceless

Don' buy cheap goggles, Becuase just become there something you will only were when playing with a laser, You waer your eyes always