Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Harp kits - Batch 2 - Finished

Carl B

Re: Laser Harp kits - Batch 2 coming soon!

I have read that Things has said it has to be a duemilanove as you have to be able to remove the Atmega chip from it in order to be able to use the ICSP header and you can't remove the one on the Uno I don't think.
If you can remove the chip from the Arduino Uno board then you might be able to use it.

Carl

Yes, Things is busy too!! :)

Just a small question.

To reprogram the harp, you mentioned that you need an Arduino duemilanove.

I have an Arduino Uno. Can that be used too?

camvo

The Atmega IC is fitted in an IC-socket so you can flip it out with a screw driver.

I also have a Boarduino. There also the Atmega IC is fitted in an IC-socket.

Thanks Carl!

Last edited:

Things

The problem with the Uno is it does USB communication on the microcontroller itself. With the Duemilanove, the USB to serial communication is done on a different chip on the Arduino board.

When programming the harps, you need direct access to this serial chip, which you can't get from the Uno.

If you don't wish to buy another Arduino, you can alternatively use a FT232 breakout board.

So then an Arduino Mega won't work - can't remove the (very different) ATMega chip.

I am FINALLY going to have a few days off, and my Laser Harp is Job #1 for me...

Q: Would be better to do the update BEFORE or AFTER building? I am using a very open case...

Also sending email for updated code!

Last, thanks for all your initial work, and continuing development. While the former is awesome, the latter makes you the ruler of all...

Thanks!

The problem with the Uno is it does USB communication on the microcontroller itself. With the Duemilanove, the USB to serial communication is done on a different chip on the Arduino board.

When programming the harps, you need direct access to this serial chip, which you can't get from the Uno.

If you don't wish to buy another Arduino, you can alternatively use a FT232 breakout board.

Hello Gents,

I applied the 2.45 firmware update... and, as CarlB has noted, the LH is much brighter and works flawlessly in Blanking ON mode.

I initially applied the update and didn't find that the Laser Harp was brighter, but, after checking the programmed parameters, I noticed that the value p was '0' as opposed to the required '228' (operator error :)) So I changed the value, reprogrammed and reset the LH and everything worked well after that.

In Blanking Off mode there is still dual triggering, but, I will not be using that mode as Blanking On Mode works so well!

Kudos to Dan for providing the update and all of his previous R&D!

Regards

Joe

Last edited:

Things

Glad you got it sorted Joe, I saw your email today but I was on my phone, so was a bit difficult to reply to you. That P value is part of the crucial timing system, and would have definitely caused issues.

As for the blanking off mode, I personally never use it, so haven't really had any initiative to figure out what was wrong with it, and was just running to try get everything brighter.

I'll look into that issue of course, though I have a feeling it's something that might be a bit more difficult to fix.

GoolGaul, if the Mega has an external FTDI chip (FT232) then you can use it to program the harp (I'm 99% sure if it's the original Mega and not the newer one, it does) :) You just need to find it's direct connection pins on the Arduino. On the duemilanove for example, it's connected to pins 0 and 1.

FT232.png

^Look for that chip :)

The older Arduino's (like Diecimila) also have these chips, but I believe they don't have an auto reset function. While you can still program the harps with it, it'll make it a bit trickier to do. I couldn't really offer support for it either, since I don't own one myself.

As for the update, really doesn't matter when you do it, this new update doesn't change much apart from more user customization and the brightness increase. Of course, would probably be easier to program the chip before you install everything, but it'll still work fine if you don't.

And yes, when there are improvements to be made, I'll be working towards them. Since I have my own harp (obviously), they benefit me as well.

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

Carl B

I'm glad you got your harp sorted Joe. It sounded to me like the problem had something to do with the new setting values.

Your not going to be able to leave it alone now.:)

I'm just waiting to get the 2W 445nm modual now to go with the 400mW green in my harp. White gloves will be a must.

Carl

Hello Gents,

I applied the 2.45 firmware update... and, as CarlB has noted, the LH is much brighter and works flawlessly in Blanking ON mode.

I initially applied the update and didn't find that the Laser Harp was brighter, but, after checking the programmed parameters, I noticed that the value p was '0' as opposed to the required '228' (operator error :)) So I changed the value, reprogrammed and reset the LH and everything worked well after that.

In Blanking Off mode there is still dual triggering, but, I will not be using that mode as Blanking On Mode works so well!

Kudos to Dan for providing the update and all of his previous R&D!

Regards

Joe

Things

I really need to work on getting a song downpat on the harp. So far I've only managed a few seconds of tetris :D

I love my music, but I'm not too artsy in terms of producing it :)

I really need to work on getting a song downpat on the harp. So far I've only managed a few seconds of tetris :D

I love my music, but I'm not too artsy in terms of producing it :)

That's kinda funny...

reminds me of a friend of mine. Aside from being a music teacher, he spent an inordinate amount of time practicing his Euphonium and Slide Trombone skills. HOURS per day, taking only Sundays off...
He worked for me for a year, and one morning he came in to work as I was just sitting down to start on a piece of music, and went out on his very short day. 3 hours later when he returned, he asked how far I got. When I played this 95% finished piece of music for him, he said:

"With all the time I spend on music, I can't understand how you can write that in 3 hours, where that is my daily practice time, and I couldn't put together 3 notes in 3 days..."

(btw - THIS is that piece which I will be "porting" to the LH)

Hi, I've just joined this forum and stumbled upon this section. I am really into buying one of these kits. Please let me know when they are available and i will definitely buy one. Only one problem is that I am located in Germany. Probably going to kill me with delivery costs and taxes, but I hope it will be worth it!

The pictures of the finished harp look amazing and I can't wait to build my own. I'll make sure to post some photos once I get everything put together.

Thanks for such a great design and any further help to this newbie on how to construct my harp would be fantastic.

Many thanks!

Things

Welcome to the forums Rubrick :)

Shipping anywhere in the world is a flat rate $12, however I'm not sure if your customs will have any fee's once it gets into the country.

GoolGaul, definitely looking forward to what you do with the harp. My entire family is very music orientated, and I've got the ear for it, but I can't actually compose anything :D

csshih

I apologize on the delays with testing - it should be finished up in a day or so.
I have kits bagged up and almost ready to go.

Craig

Hey guys, I've been following the laser harp trail intensively over the last few days and am very keen to learn how to make one and also jump into getting one of these kits. Also user guides and n00bish instructions would be much appreciated. New to all this and really keen to get going with learning the ropes!

MSG me when all this group buy stuff is sorted :).

Reactions: ARG

csshih

2nd batch is out! instructions (to your email) to follow soon!

Craig