Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Harp kits - Batch 2 - Finished

Things

Re: Laser Harp kits - Batch 2 - 9 left!

Sorry for the late reply. The only connections for the LCD to work properly would of course be the LCD and power, and the switches.

I should have y own harp back with me within 2 weeks, so keep an eye out for multi coloured beams :)

Still 9 of these left. Considering how little demand there is for them, this will be the last batch.

Dan

Thats ok I had a blown power supply so i was in the process of getting a new one. Is it possible to get a more detailed schematic of how the push buttons are wired or possibly some pictures? Its the last piece i have to complete and am having some trouble with it.

Thanks,
Tim

Things

Hi Tim, there should be a schematic in the manual? If your push buttons have more than 2 pins, they probably have a built in LED or possibly more than 1 set of contacts. If you have a DMM, you can put them on the continuity setting, and press the button to find a set of contacts.

I have started on the RGB beam code, still haven't got my harp here just yet (Should be this week). The code will be deployed in the same way it was last time. If you have no need for multi colour beams, no need to update :)

Cheers,
Dan

My problem was that with the 10k resistors attached not enough volts were getting to the buttons so they weren't powered on. As for the LCD, it did have a row of grey boxes on the bottom but with the buttons connected it reads nothing now. Could this be due to a voltage problem somewhere else now?

Also for LED2, should pin 26, 27, and 28 be sending out 5v to RGB? im only getting .11v from them so the LED doesnt power on

Last edited:

Things

The boxes on the LCD is a tell tale sign that either your buttons aren't connected properly, or the LCD isn't wired properly. LED2 won't power up until the microcontroller has initialized, which means the LCD will be on and displaying text too. Could you maybe draw a schematic or post a pic of how you've connected your buttons?

Cheers,
Dan

csshih

harp kits are quite easy to solder! I got bored this evening/morning and decided to solder one up for myself.

yI3Zi

Craig

Things

About time, you need a laser harp :p :D

I'm thinking of buying a laser harp kit. I'm on my second year of an electrical and computer engineering (5-year) course and looking for some small side project I could build to have fun, and learn some stuff. While looking for ideas, nothing seemed interesting enough... Until I found out about laser harps :)
Thing is, I'm still not knowledgeable enough to actually build something like this from scratch, all I've done is some Atmel micro-controller programming to have LEDs blink on and off, play a small WAV song, small stuff like that, so that's where the kit comes into play.

I've got a couple questions on the kit I hope you could answer.

How detailed is the instruction manual? Seeing as I'm quite new to most of this stuff (although studying in the area), would I be able to understand it all?

Also, you do not include a laser and the galvanometer + amp + power supply. How much would these cost? I do not require them to be high end, just be enough to have fun with the project and get something working well enough. I'm afraid I might not be able to afford these on top of the kit, if they turn out to be too expensive (which I'm guessing they will). Googling just brings up ones which cost like 100$ each (+ shipping & customs), which is too much when I'm already paying 140$ + shipping & customs for the kit. These might just be higher end ones (and overkill), but I don't know since I've never had to buy any.
Since I don't know much about lasers/galvanometers, could tell me what I should be looking for? Maybe even suggest a couple?

Thank you very much for the information!

Last edited:

Things

Hey, the instruction manual does go into very fine detail about almost everything. There is not really anything you could mess up if you follow it word for word.

As for galvanometers, yes, they are the most expensive part of the kit. The upside is, this kit only requires 1, whereas most of the come in sets of 2. Maybe you could ask around a few people in this thread that have built harps and see if they have the 2nd spare one? You'd probably need to source your own power supply for it however.

If not, the $100 ish sets on eBay will do just fine, that is about the cheapest they get. You may be able to find someone to sell the 2nd single one to also.

The laser, well, to get you going you can get 50mW or so green modules for about $30 from China. You'll probably want to upgrade to something a bit higher powered later on, but it'll get you going.

Dan

Last edited:

Thanks for the quick, informative reply!

I've looked around for a while and found a 20Kpps galvo set (like you said, 2x scanner, 2x driver board, 1x power supply) and a 60mW green laser (with TTL). They're shipping within Europe so I'll be able to avoid customs taxes. I'm guessing these should be enough? I'll also have to buy some safety goggles for green lasers. The prices for these are within my price range.

I'll be buying those later since it ends up being quite an investment to do all at once, but I've already ordered a kit from you guys. Do you have any estimate of the shipping date? Thanks!

Last edited:

Things

Csshih will be the guy to give you a shipping estimate, but it's usually on it's way within a day or two.

Dan

The boxes on the LCD is a tell tale sign that either your buttons aren't connected properly, or the LCD isn't wired properly. LED2 won't power up until the microcontroller has initialized, which means the LCD will be on and displaying text too. Could you maybe draw a schematic or post a pic of how you've connected your buttons?

Cheers,
Dan

I had to order new push buttons and got them connected. I attached a picture of the buttons, its a bit messy but i dont want to solder anything till i know its correct. The boxes on the LCD disappeared and it is now blank but seems to be more dim. As for LED2, it still does not light up so im not sure whats wrong with it. Could you briefly explain how the galvo works with the laser harp board?

Last edited:

Things

Hi Tim, from your pic, I can't really see if you're using the 2 resistors as shown in the manual?

As for the galvos, the laser harp board simply outputs a differential +/-5V signal. This is the typical input voltage for most galvo sets.

I took them off since they cut the voltage too much for the push buttons to illuminate but here is another picture.

12+-+1

Last edited:

Things

The resistors are required to pull up the pins when they aren't activated. Removing them will cause the harp to act erratically. It is hard to tell from your pic how you have it wired. How many pins do your buttons have? Which wires are what?