Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser green beam weakens in a sec

Hi!

I have got a 10 euro laser- a noname one with the gift box with batteries and 5 different end effect caps.

It weaken in a second after I push the power button. Seemingly it losts its power to half. I tried many different batteries, effect doesn't change. (I always use it with heated room, above 25 celsius, so it has to work).

It doesn't matter how often I push the button, always starts with the same powerful beam, but in a glance of eye, it weakens...

Any suggestions what to do? Go for rechargeable batteries? (or I shouldn't buy the cheapest laser?)

It sounds like a typical cheap eBay pen. Those are some of the worst quality lasers around and you can expect nothing less than that to happen :( I bought a cheap eBay pen a while back and the exact same thing happened as you described.

I would recommend buying a greenie from these guys:
laserbtb
The quality is far superior and batteries will last a lot longer :)

Last edited:
Better ask more then to little nothing wrong. do yourself a favor and buy something better more fun in the end then dimming pos lasers...

Last edited:
This is a 2xAAA pen laser, right? What batteries are you using? Make sure to use alkalines at least. Avoid heavy duty, or zinc batteries. If you have rechargable NiMH on hand, give 'em a shot. They won't hurt.

This last bit is very risky for the laser, and I'd only recommend if you have tried everything else and don't mind frying your laser and just happen to have a 10440 cell. You can use a single 10440 and a spacer/dummy cell, but keep in mind that your laser only expects to see 3V, ~3.3V max, and a single 10440 might give it up to 4.2V, hence the danger of frying your laser.

Thanks for all the help!

The seller from whom I bought the laser told me he can change it for me for a new one. (i don't know if it's worth or not to deal and spend money for the post shipping costs just to get another one from the same construct- I think all would be behave the same).

A new experience, that if I preheat the laser over the radiators in the room, it will operate at full power anytime, for any long period. It just weird, because there is 25 celsius in my house and this temperature seems doesn't enought for long time powerful beam. So if I don't keep it over the heater radiators for 1-2 minutes, it will loose it's power again in a sec.

Tomorrow I try it with Duracells or Energiser betteries.

Thanks for all the help!

try keeping the laser on longer, a lot of greens have a spike in output when turned on, then warm up to average after a little time. Look at anyones dpss lpm graph (dpss is famously unstable compared to diodes)

Better ask more then to little nothing wrong. do yourself a favor and buy something better more fun in the end then dimming pos lasers...
here is another favor you can do yourself--add your general location to your personal profile-that often help us give you better info

try keeping the laser on longer, a lot of greens have a spike in output when turned on, then warm up to average after a little time. Look at anyones dpss lpm graph (dpss is famously unstable compared to diodes)

. Most any DPSS is not a laser that 'likes' cold weather- The bright at first then dim is common- It should stay bright longer each time as the internals get warmed up -- NEVER use two Li-ions in place of two AAAs- sure instant death has been reported. As you were advised- make a 'spacer' and use just ONE 3.6vdc li-ion (do they make a AAA size Li-ion?? not sure)

They do have AAA Lithium-ion batteries, only rarer than garden variety 18650 batteries. And, some cheap laser pens just use resistor to regulate the diode current so I wouldn't try to use Li-ion battery unless I am 100,000,000 % sure it uses chip for current regulation (some chips can accept 5 Volts just fine, so with 4.2 Volts, that would make the driver run a bit warmer as IC drivers as those used in Radio Shack green laser pointer always run as a linear voltage regulator).