Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for tool ???'s

tjs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am new to the forum. How is everybody? My name is Tim
and I am bulding a tool that currently as a prototype is using a keychain laser. Which in every aspect is adequate at the time. I have some questions though. In my final product I would like the laser to be reliable( switch an laser componentry) it already is aluminum and size and strength is adequate. I would like to have a more accuracy but as it is it is fine as I can turn it in the tool to calibrate. Now I do not need much power ( I don't think) as it does not need to shine more than 10 Feet, but I would like a small say 3/32 size target area ideally My only concerns are long term durability of the switch and components as stated above. Now is is possible to have some thing custom made and still stay in the price range of a keychain laser pointer( I have been quoted 1.39 US dollars a piece for in the 10,000 to 100,000 device range) or will I have to go with a already made product? Thank you for your help

Tim

I have no idea what you want to do...
You will need to be more specific...
What "tool"...:thinking:

Jerry

tjs

I have no idea what you want to do...
You will need to be more specific...
What "tool"...:thinking:

Jerry

It is for a tool that I am making( it will go in the tool to help aim). And basically the particular key chain laser I have is perfect(.355 in diam about 2.5 inches long), but the concerns I have are, durability ,accuraccy(which I can get around) dot size and eye damage(I believe the laser I need should not require much power as I only have to project less than 10feet). I was not sure if one could get a custom laser made that would meet my needs and still stay in the price figures that I had listed(not sure how hard it is to make a laser pointer like I am describing), seeings how I will need high quantities 10,000 or more. I am in the starting stages and looking to get my ducks in a row to begin speaking with potential customers.

Thanks Tim

Last edited:
I would say no, you are not going to get close to 1.39 each especially if you are wanting a better quality laser.

You may be able to find higher quality pre made lasers to integrate into your design though.

tjs

How would the size of the laser beam effect price. And how much more would we be talking? I do have some room to work. I am just trying to keep costs low so that I can pass that on to the consumer and it will be easier for them to buy product.

Size? Do you mean power? More power will cost more money, but if these are to be put into service anywhere the laser will need all sorts of safety devices if it is any stronger than your current pointer.

The cheap laser pointers you are referring to are cheap because they skimp on parts in every way that they can. The electronic circuits inside are usually limited to a resistor and a switch, there's not much protection there for the laser diode itself. The diode in those pointers is usually a lower quality "chip-on-a-board" diode. There is usually no protection from the air on those diodes and dust in an industrial/construction environment would be able to work it's way onto the diode itself most likely destroying it. Those pointer lasers are a lot harder to clean too, if it were to get dirty.

I have no idea what it would cost in those quantities, but what you should ask for is a >5mW red laser, 5.6mm TO-18 package with a constant current driver. The TO-18 package diode protects the delicate part of a diode with a glass window that can be cleaned if it gets dirty. The constant current driver keeps the power going to the diode the same. I'd rather not go into why exactly that is important, but it is necessary for a good quality laser.

If you want to make a good name for your product I would look into something other than a keychain pointer. Your customers are going to judge the quality of your tool as a whole, if the laser is cheap then they will assume the tool is as well. I would never want to degrade the quality of something I manufactured by cutting corners with other essential components for that very reason.

tjs

Size? Do you mean power? More power will cost more money, but if these are to be put into service anywhere the laser will need all sorts of safety devices if it is any stronger than your current pointer.

The cheap laser pointers you are referring to are cheap because they skimp on parts in every way that they can. The electronic circuits inside are usually limited to a resistor and a switch, there's not much protection there for the laser diode itself. The diode in those pointers is usually a lower quality "chip-on-a-board" diode. There is usually no protection from the air on those diodes and dust in an industrial/construction environment would be able to work it's way onto the diode itself most likely destroying it. Those pointer lasers are a lot harder to clean too, if it were to get dirty.

I have no idea what it would cost in those quantities, but what you should ask for is a >5mW red laser, 5.6mm TO-18 package with a constant current driver. The TO-18 package diode protects the delicate part of a diode with a glass window that can be cleaned if it gets dirty. The constant current driver keeps the power going to the diode the same. I'd rather not go into why exactly that is important, but it is necessary for a good quality laser.

If you want to make a good name for your product I would look into something other than a keychain pointer. Your customers are going to judge the quality of your tool as a whole, if the laser is cheap then they will assume the tool is as well. I would never want to degrade the quality of something I manufactured by cutting corners with other essential components for that very reason.

Thank you This is just what I need, a place to build a base. No definately not more power , was just thinking a finer beam. So if I were to give the build shop these component requirements then I would just have to give them the specs of the laser body and the type of switch mechanism I would like to operate it? Would those components fit into a small laser like a keychain laser or do you think it would require something larger? Diameter ? Length?
I think I do see what you are talking about as I have a couple of those small laser pointers and some times they work well and others not so much. Just assumed it may be a battery issue. Your right I don't want to give my potential customers something unreliable.

Last edited:

tjs

just looked one up, what other components are required? Lens? batteries? switch? Could I put that say in a injection molded plastic body or is there some safety issue with that?

A low powered build could go in something plastic. Heat won't be much of an issue with a laser this powerful. The diode itself would be better in a metal aixiz module. Also plastic would isolate the laser from the tool electrically, if it is a power tool with a metal body that may be an advantage.

You will need a lens and a battery(s) at around 3 volts. You probably want a switch as well unless you want the laser running all the time. The switch can be something simple like a twist design on a maglite to something complicated like a pressure pad on a handle of the tool.

Whoever you contract to build the laser will probably use an "aixiz" module, the diode fits in one side and a lens on the other. This module/lens arrangement are pretty standard stuff, one company in particular markets them but many different companies use the same exact stuff. A finer beam is possible, but not very practical. The lenses you would need for that would cost more and the resulting beam would not be much finer than a acrylic or plastic lens. There are other lenses available that project crosshairs or vertical/horizontal lines as well.

The laser should be able to fit in a package not much larger than what you are working with now. The batteries will likely be the largest part of the entire laser. I suggest you avoid button cells, they don't have the capacity needed to run a laser for any period of time. Standard AAA batteries would probably be the best bet; they're available everywhere, are relatively compact, and would be able to run the laser for more than a few minutes before they needed changed.

If you want I can work with you to get something designed and contracted out. I work in manufacturing and have plenty of CAD experience plus personal laser experience. I don't have the resources for 10,000+ parts runs personally but I could easily find someone who does.

tjs

A low powered build could go in something plastic. Heat won't be much of an issue with a laser this powerful. The diode itself would be better in a metal aixiz module. Also plastic would isolate the laser from the tool electrically, if it is a power tool with a metal body that may be an advantage.

You will need a lens and a battery(s) at around 3 volts. You probably want a switch as well unless you want the laser running all the time. The switch can be something simple like a twist design on a maglite to something complicated like a pressure pad on a handle of the tool.

Whoever you contract to build the laser will probably use an "aixiz" module, the diode fits in one side and a lens on the other. This module/lens arrangement are pretty standard stuff, one company in particular markets them but many different companies use the same exact stuff. A finer beam is possible, but not very practical. The lenses you would need for that would cost more and the resulting beam would not be much finer than a acrylic or plastic lens. There are other lenses available that project crosshairs or vertical/horizontal lines as well.

The laser should be able to fit in a package not much larger than what you are working with now. The batteries will likely be the largest part of the entire laser. I suggest you avoid button cells, they don't have the capacity needed to run a laser for any period of time. Standard AAA batteries would probably be the best bet; they're available everywhere, are relatively compact, and would be able to run the laser for more than a few minutes before they needed changed.

If you want I can work with you to get something designed and contracted out. I work in manufacturing and have plenty of CAD experience plus personal laser experience. I don't have the resources for 10,000+ parts runs personally but I could easily find someone who does.

Have you ever seen a bore sight? As I was looking at the components you suggested I ran on to them. If I could make some thing similar in Nylon that is what I would be looking for. The battery thing might be a problem though I would like to keep it small. Say .355 x 3inchs with the twist switch on the opposite end of the laser. If you could give me a rough figure I may be interested. Of course I would not need the taper like a bore sight I just like the clean look. And mine would only need enough power to shine a short distance(less than 10 feet actually). The metal components for the circuitry can probably be molded in the injection mold.

Thanks

He needs an undeveloped country with slave labor in order to get the prices he wants...and even then it's probably not likely.

tjs

He needs an undeveloped country with slave labor in order to get the prices he wants...and even then it's probably not likely.

Ha Just have ta keep prices low because most of the large corps have taken that idea to a new level. So people can't afford to pay big dollars for simple tools. Read an article in a paper I get ,back a while ago, and it was saying china labor was starting to get to expensive and they were worried they were'nt gonna be able to find some place to get cheap labor. Ha (Sick)Actually some of the bore sights you can get for around 11.00 bucks retail and they are brass so I would have to believe some thing that you could injection mold could be made pretty cheap right in U S. Pieces like the housing could probably me made for a nickle in the U S. Just the internals that would cost.
1.39 was just a starting point I was quoted. You don't come up with a finished product and prices over night it takes a lot of research