Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Driver Help!!

Hey guy, I'am so noob at this so please help me out.. I have bought a 650nm 5mW Aixiz module off ebay.. and I want to build my own laser (Blu-Ray). I am also going to buy a 405nm Blu Ray laser diode PHR-803T and just needed some help with the driver side of things. I know that with out a driver the lifespan is cut very short.. so I read around the forums and the Micro FlexDrive has been poping up quite alot.. people have told me to buy it preset at around 110-115ma but is this good(can u suggest a better driver or settings).. I want it to be able to burn stuff and visably see the beam while not cutting the lifespan too much.

Also what type of batieries should I use if i was to buy the flexdrive (size and voltage). Lastly is there any schematics or instructions on how to attach the diode to the driver..

If i get this working i will promply add some beam shots since people seem to like them....

Thank you very very much for all you help in advance :p

Welcome.
110 to 115 is a good setting from a FlexDrive. You might be able to go a bit higher if you have a good sink.
The ability to burn will be determined by your ability to focus. 110mA focused properly will definitely burn things.

The battery will be determined by the host. A Single 3.7 or dual 3.0 with a diode on the drive input will work.

Soldering a diode to the drive is fairly simple if you have experience with a iron. There are plenty of tuts here on the forum that will go in detail on how to accomplish this.

ok.. thank you, but the problem is that how would I change the out put voltage.. or is this constant.. I dont understand how you can preset the current without the voltage.. or am I completly wrong?

The driver will regulate the current to the diode. The voltage drop across the diode will not be a issue. Your only concern in reguards to voltage will be the amount you provide the driver. A FlexDrive will only take so much, I think the max is 5.5vdc, not sure.

So you mean if I put for example 3 volts into the flexdrive it will regulate the right power to the diode if I preset it to 100ma

Thats correct. The current from the drive will be constant. The voltage into the drive can vary and will change as the battery drains.

What type of host are you going to use?

An Aixiz module. Also would it matter if the diode is from a burner eg blu ray burner or can it be from for example a ps3 or xbox blu ray READER??

Usually the aixiz module is placed inside a heatsink and then that is placed inside a host. You might want to consider a Heatsink of some sort to help dissipate any heat build up. If your drive is set at 100mA then there will only be a small amount and a sink may not be needed if you keep the duty cycles short.

I only use PHR-803T's cuz there cheap. I think they come from HD-DVD drives, I'm not sure. I can't commit where the specific sleds come from because I've never taken a sled from a complete drive. You can Goggle the diode and it will probably provide you with details on the specifics of each diode.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum ! it would not matter as far as color goes but the power of thoes diodes are diff. the burner diodes are more powerfull.

Best regards Pyro... :eg:

Ok thank you.. Sorry one more question, Ebay.com.au has restriced the buying and selling of this item from Australia, is there any way I could get this item sent to me from another website.. has any one else had this problem or should I consider a more accessable diode for example dvd burner diode (even tho I really want a blu ray diode). Have you seen any websites of origin in Australia?? Are any members of lpf able to send a sled or diode to me..

once again thanks in advance

There are numerous places that you can purchase the sleds from. Check the B/S/T section and then check with the seller to see if they are willing to ship to your location. I think most are. Be sure to check the rep of the seller before you buy. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. PM me if you need to, some of the users here tend to be hostile towards new users asking questions without searching first. good luck

Thank you so much for all your help.. but is this item actually able to be sold and posted to Australia.. that was my question above but thank you i will check out the b/s/t section..

Welcome to the Forum....

IMO... think if you would buy a PHR803T DVD replacement/repair sled and
on a separate order an mini power supply... there should be no problem for
those "repair" parts to get to you in Australia...

But if you want a functioning Laser... it will most likely be confiscated by
the Australian authorities.

You will need to check on your countries Import Laws to be sure...
police-car-004.gif

Jerry

I see.. would you know of any place in particular that sells these "repair" parts. i have checked google and really cant find a trust worthy site to buy it off.. thanks this is my last question i swear LOL :p .... BTW LOVING THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM.. SO HELPFUL

D

Deleted member 8382

welcome to the forums. This repair parts called sleds are sold by MANY members here. Chek the buy7sell/trade board.

Also, I suggest to build your own driver, easy and cheap.

Yours,
Albert