Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser diode for cnc

Bx3mE

I have been searching for a while now but it seems i cannot get the answer im looking for by googling or searching threads for this info. I want Peace on earth, economic independence and a laser setup for my hobby cnc which can cut through 6mm of stock at resonable speed with high level of detail. :)

Now after experimenting with my 808 3w diode it was obvious i did not do my homework cutting thin white paper is nearly impossible unless i cut the backside and color it first. Yes i know that if i work the optics i can cut the white paper but the depth of field is so narrow when i get there that it is not suitable for paper on a cnc.

So i learnt my lesson and switched to 445nm diode instead. while at it i added some wattage to the mix and in my mail this week i will find a nubm44. Happy me until i read about all the problems you can get with this baby. I believe i will now be able to actually cut what i want but not with the level of detail i want and surely i am more likely to start a fire thal get the result i want.

So what do i want? I want a diode because the machine doubles as router cutter and a lot of other stuff. CO2 would be gr8 but that is another story.
I want to cut thin white paper, cardstock, 6mm balsa wood, vinyls and also engrave on rubber (stamps), oak wood and experiment on anodized aluminium.

What would be the best option for me? Invest in more optics to try and fix my nubm44 beam, buy another (maybe this time single mode) diode or should i just give up? I really want that tiny spot size and 6mm DOF.

Any suggestions for diodes or optics?

I am working on building up and getting to run a 6 watt blue light diode laser CNC. I purchased a Chinese built 6 watt one on eBay and it worked but the gcode software was really fussy and the image software had a virus, thanks Chinese venders.
The controller was a one of a kind, Chinese design. Ripped it all out and replaced with a Arduino R3 Uno and a GbShield the real deal on both. After dealing with another Chinese vender who is on here and does Not know what TTL is and getting a refund I ordered a real LD driver board from J Tech and another from X-wossie (sp) from Russia off eBay.
I use PicSender to download gcode to the Arduino, great product. Still waiting on parts, and thanks to no more Radio Shack its order and wait.