Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser diode, 905nm 70w

CraigS

Hello everybody, I have recently found a laser diode that says it reaches a maximum power of 70w, 12v and 30A. I am relatively new to the laser discussion, and was wondering about whether this diode would be good in a laser bar array. If a picture is needed let me know. Thank you in advance for all of your help on the matter.

diachi

Hello everybody, I have recently found a laser diode that says it reaches a maximum power of 70w, 12v and 30A. I am relatively new to the laser discussion, and was wondering about whether this diode would be good in a laser bar array. If a picture is needed let me know. Thank you in advance for all of your help on the matter.

"Would be good in a laser bar array."

Or

"Is it a laser bar array?"

??

Need more information.

CraigS

My plans call for an 8 spot array and each of them is going to have one of these 70w diodes in it. This project is going to have a copper motor that with hopes will generate enough power to run the laser.

diachi

My plans call for an 8 spot array and each of them is going to have one of these 70w diodes in it. This project is going to have a copper motor that with hopes will generate enough power to run the laser.

More information required.

Manufacturer?
Diode model number?
Pictures?
Schematics?
More details about your intended application?

What's a "copper motor"? :confused::confused:

All you've done is provide more vague information that doesn't really tell us anything.

Last edited:

Encap

More information required.

Manufacturer?
Diode model number?
Pictures?
Schematics?

What's a "copper motor"? :confused::confused:

All you've done is provide more vague information that doesn't really tell us anything.

Exactly Diachi and ditto what everyone else has asked.

"Copper motor that with hopes" makes no sense at all and sounds like you don't know what you are doing are perhaps an accident looking for a place to happen. All details asked for are needed to say much of anything---very vague has no real world meaning.

What is it you want to do with such very dangerous invisible lasers and why?

8 X 70W = 560W of 905nm --is on the extremely dangerous to eyesight side? Continuous or pulsed?

Post a link to the diodes you are considering.
Maybe you have the details incorrect or the application has no need for such output power.

Last edited:

diachi

More information!!

Manufacturer?
Diode model number?
Pictures?
Schematics?

The diode in your first picture looks like one of those high peak powered pulsed 905nm diodes used for LIDAR. That form factor is not capable of 70W continuous.

The picture in your second link is a NUBM05 array, a 30W 455nm CW array consisting of 8 diodes, completely different thing. What does it have anything to do with your "70W 905nm" diodes? You're wanting to use it as a mount?

You have have given us no useful information to go off of. Are you trying to waste our time?

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

:horse:

Last edited:

Encap

More information!!

Manufacturer?
Diode model number?
Pictures?
Schematics?

The diode in your first picture looks like one of those high peak powered pulsed 905nm diodes used for LIDAR. That form factor is not capable of 70W continuous.

The picture in your second link is a NUBM05 array, a 30W 455nm CW array consisting of 8 diodes, completely different thing. What does it have anything to do with your "70W 905nm" diodes? You're wanting to use it as a mount?

You have have given us no useful information to go off of. Are you trying to waste our time?

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

:horse:

Exactly Diachi.

Is beginning to sound like a daydreaming troll or someone with no clue about lasers or what he is doing or wants to do wasting everyone's time with meaningless daydreaming rubbish.

Either give us actual real world details --everything is possible in imagination, not so in the real world

Last edited:

CraigS

I did say I was relatively new to this thing I did not join this forum to be made fun of. The array I sent a picture of is not the one I'm buying the one in the picture is an example to let you people see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Encap

I did say I was relatively new to this thing I did not join this forum to be made fun of. The array I sent a picture of is not the one I'm buying the one in the picture is an example to let you people see what I'm talking about.

Not making fun---as everyone has indicated --you are not asking anything that has an answer.

They blue diode block from a video projector is just that--not an example of anything else in any way, shape, or form.

What does "wondering about whether this diode would be good in a laser bar array" that mean? What is you definition of "laser bar array? Can you provide any real world actual example of it?

If you can not even articulate what you want to do that you imagine 905nm laser diodes are the answer for---how can anyone help you?

You have turned it into a meaningless overly generalized question about nothing in particular---you don't even comprehend anything about the laser diodes you mentioned--what do you expect anyone to be able to help with or say?

Last edited:

CraigS

Go to YouTube and look up a 40W laser shotgun. What I am trying to build is similar to that but a lot stronger.

diachi

Just because you're unable to actually provide a solid question or any useful information to go along with it does not mean we're making fun of you.

giphy.gif

Go to YouTube and look up a 40W laser shotgun. What I am trying to build is similar to that but a lot stronger.

Clearly you don't have a clue about what you're doing. For starters, those "70W" diodes you're talking about are nowhere near as powerful as even one of the diodes used in Styro's laser shotgun. The 905nm diodes are 70W PEAK, they are pulsed, each pulse is going to be on the order of 1ns-100ns with a duty cycle of 0.1%. The average power from them is minuscule compared to ONE of the diodes used in the Styro's laser shotgun (5W CW each). If my calculations are correct (anyone want to verify?) the average power from these diodes (assuming 100ns pulse width and 0.1% duty cycle) is around 0.07W or 70mW. (Numbers based on the Osram "SPL PL90_3"). Those LDs are actually 75W peak with 1ns-100ns pulse width, but numbers should be similar. I could provide a more exact value with more information.

Math used:

Power (Peak): 70W
Pulse Width (PW): 100ns
Duty Cycle (D): 0.1% (or 0.001 as a decimal)

Pulse Energy: E=PT, E=70*0.0000001, E=0.000007

Pulse frequency: F=PW/D, F=0.0000001/0.001, F=10,000Hz

Power: P=EF, P=0.000007*10000, P=0.07W

So if you replicated Styro's video with the same number of diodes, replacing them with the Osram SPL PL90_3, you'd end up with a whopping 560mW or 0.56W vs his 40,000mW or 40W.

Do you have experience with lasers? If so, which lasers? How powerful? Which wavelengths?

Last edited:
Man am I glad I didn't get here sooner. What a waste of time. You can ask and ask and ask, but that doesn't mean you'll get a coherent answer. I still see no information that would lead to knowing what he has, though that is a reasonable guess, diachi.

Encap

You can try to do one , with a very high chance of blinding yourself-- if you have $1000 to flush down the toilet on a useless toy and aquire the electronic/electrical and physical skills/knowledge and skills to be make one. MUCH more power??---the same guy did a 200W version see link below. To do anything like that in invisible 905nm with no knowledge or experience is beyond irresponsible, reckless, crazy, dangerous to you and any other people around you and very expensive.

Seriously, the daydream you are proposing requires a lot of time, knowledge in many different technical areas, practical experience skills and a lot of money and for a mostly useless and very dangerous toy. Laser beams do not combine they way you imagine.

Lasers only work they way you imagine in imagination.
The the 40W one in the video is 24 drivers driving 8 laser diodes, each creating a 5W beam---the beams never combine to make a single 40W beam--they are only 40W total when focused precisely on one spot--8 5W beams on one focal point spot.
It very little different from from mounting in a circle or on a bar 8 5W hand held lasers and pointing them all at one spot
They only focus through a lens to a focal point at one particular point---and inch in front or behind that point and they are just 8 individual 5W beams again.
Has all been discussed on LPF many times before--See
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/most-powerful-laser-gun-97602.html
and http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/making-laser-using-dlp-projectors-97928.html

Lasers do not combine the way you imagine see: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/reference-guide-how-combine-lasers-77449.html

PS Here is the 200W version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0

Last edited: