Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser dim on fully charged battery

Zeebit

Hi guys.

I noticed something weird with my Lazerer Stick. When the battery is fully charged I notice that its output is somewhat weaker that when the battery has been used. I noticed this twice already when the battery is freshly charged. I do not have a multimeter to test the battery's voltage after charging. I dont know whats causing this to happen. Is it a crappy driver? Any thoughts?

jimdt7

Most probably it's a battery issue.
You should get some quality cells, like Sanyo or Panasonic! :beer:
Otherwise find a multimeter and test your batt ;)

Jim

Zeebit

Will test it once borrow from my friend.
Its funny because it dims when fully charged and brightness increases as the voltage drops from 4.2V. Could it be a driver issue?

Edit:
Sorry, this could be a false alarm. I swapped out the battery with another chinese 18650 from my LED flashlight. The battery has been in the flashlight for around 2 weeks from being charged with around 5 mins of usage. The output of the laser using the two cells looks identical. Maybe its because it rained an hour ago and there is not much particulates in the air. I'll check the cell just to make sure.

Last edited:
It could just be cold too. Those lasers don't put out as much light when their crystals aren't properly warmed up.

What battery is with the laser? I don't remember if I included one, or you got one separate.

It's possible it's a battery issue, although for that laser, you really don't need a top shelf battery either.

As far as the driver is concerned, it should actually work better fully charged.

Green lasers can be kind of temperamental with temperature. For example the ones I got from skylasers, don't like the cold. On the other hand the 400mW o-like I just sold a few days ago, works a whole lot better when cold. So probably just as BB said, as the crystals warm up, they shift in position slightly, and you end up getting a but more in output.

Zeebit

Nah, although it rained the ambient temps didn't drop too much, maybe a couple of degrees celcius. I have been using the ultrafire you included. Looks like it was a false alarm. Got the laser to warm up for around 30sec and swapped to another cell and I did not notice any difference. I guess there was less particles in the air after the rain.

As far as the driver goes, what is commonly used in low powered green DPSS lasers?

Things

It can sometimes be the driver pushing the laser too hard too. When this happens the crystals tend to saturate.

Protected batteries will not allow the load the driver/laser's want to pull. This may be limiting you. If you do pull out the protection or buy unprotected batteries, make sure you dont run them too low and dont over charge :p