Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Detectors

Hey guys !

I'm looking for a portable device that can detect whether a laser has been pointed on a particular area and then give a response like sound a buzzer or light up an LED etc. Its basically for a laser tag contest between manually controlled robots, so does anyone know of some sort of sensor, detector or target ?

Cheers !
Aarjav Malhotra

At that size you may be able to use a solar cell
or group an array of photo diodes in that area.

I would modulate the Laser beam so that the
sensors could block/ignore ambient light.
Google is a Good place to search for Laser Beam
detectors...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time through our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

What about a laser tag game/parts? They have been around for years.
Target sensor could likely be altered to feed what you want.

I need around 6 detectors so I was wondering if I can get some ready to use solution. Also the room would most likely be having black lights so ambient light might prove to be a serious problem. Can anyone please elaborate on how a solar panel can be used for this application ?

Cheers !
Aarjav

DrSid

You usually modulate the beam to let's say 100Hz.
You just pick signal from solar cell. Then you add frequency filter which will pass 100Hz and higher .. so ambient light signal will not get pass this filter.
You can also cover the solar cell with transparent cover of same color as the laser, to block most of the ambient light of different color.

oh right, sorry my bad :p
btw, how do we put up a filter to block out UV light ? the room would most likely be having black lights and UV has a higher frequency and energy

DrSid

Ever heard of color theory ? Red transparent plastic passes red light, block all the other. While it's hard to judge if it passes UV, in most cases it works same for blue and near UV. So any red transparent plastic or foil would block UV and pass red light almost without losses.
But the frequency modulation on laser is usually also important. Even with optical filter you could get some light interference.

You usually modulate the beam to let's say 100Hz.
You just pick signal from solar cell. Then you add frequency filter which will pass 100Hz and higher .. so ambient light signal will not get pass this filter.

It's funny because many lights actually operate at 100Hz :D

okay, sounds like a really nice alternative to something ready made, thanks a lot everyone ! :thanks:
can anyone please help me with the circuit ? it guess connecting the solar panel and a buzzer through a transistor should work

There is no need to Bump this Thread...
If any members want to post here... they will.

I see by your questions that you will need some
basic electronic skills.
There is plenty of informative Basic Electronics
knowledge and tutorials on the internet.

Try Google searches for Electronic circuits that
you would like to build and Laser modulation
techniques.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics