Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Core HDD 10TB

Hitachi Aims for 10TB Drives With Laser Heat - Tom's Hardware

20nm, must burn GOOOOD :D

Pretty much if the disk is hotter when read it can pack in more data.
I wonder how a 20nm laser will heat the almost perfect mirror like disk in a hdd?

it can heat a shiny surface like that because it's 20nm and therefore easier to focus smaller and absorb. Downside is that it's 20nm. That's close to being x-ray!!

and on focusing lasers onto hard drives, have you ever tried it? It's really neat to focus the laser onto like, a piece of dust you can barely see, and yet the reflected image on the wall is the size of a poster.

where are you getting that the light is 20nm as far as I can tell the width of the beam is 20nm :confused:

nm is a wavelength in which light occupies.
It could also be a measure meant but i think its referring to its wavelength

There's not way they could measure that, a nanometer is ONE BILLIONTH of a meter.

zaery

There's not way they could measure that, a nanometer is ONE BILLIONTH of a meter.

Use the laser to burn something and then use an electron microscope, it can be done. Anyways, my guess says that it's the wavelength.

EDIT: It has to be either the wavelength or both, it cannot be the width and have the wavelength of something larger(e.g. Blu-ray), because that's just plain impossible.

Edit2: While lasers are awesome, the data storage they give is nothing in comparison with Nanotechnology

Last edited:
where are you getting that the light is 20nm as far as I can tell the width of the beam is 20nm
nm is the wavelength of the beam. Divergence is the width of the beam, measured in mrad's.
They can divide the nm X1000, if necessary.

Width is not the same as divergence. It would depend on what point in the beam you measure to get the width, while the divergence always stays the same.