Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Choices: Burning laser for DIY Cutter

Hi,

I live in South Africa and lasers are hard to come by.
I found a supplier and I would like know which laser would you suggest and what driver should I build for it?

Laser,diode,pulsed,nanostack,905nm,75W,200x10μm,SPL PL90_3
OSRAM Opto Semiconductors | Optoelectronics and Displays | Optoelectronics | Laser Diode | Laser Diodes |SPL PL90_3
Laser,diode,hybrid pulsed,FET,905nm,70W,200x2μm,SPL LL90_3
OSRAM Opto Semiconductors | Optoelectronics and Displays | Optoelectronics | Laser Diode | Laser Diodes |SPL LL90_3
Laser,diode,pulsed,905nm,4W,60x2μm,SPL PL90_0
OSRAM Opto Semiconductors | Optoelectronics and Displays | Optoelectronics | Laser Diode | Laser Diodes |SPL PL90_0
Laser,diode,hybrid,pulsed,FET,850nm,14W,200x2μm,SPL LL85
OSRAM Opto Semiconductors | Optoelectronics and Displays | Optoelectronics | Laser Diode | Laser Diodes |SPL LL85

I would love to be able to cut through 3-5 mm perspex but i'd settle to be able to cut through triplex cardboard (model building).

Thanks

HIMNL9

Cutting through materials in a decent way, requires watts range, not milliwatts, especially for high thickness ..... other than this, for cut perspex, you need a 10500nm laser, cause perspex is transparent to "common" wavelenghts, and this means a CO2 laser tube, and ZnSe optics .....

Ok forgetting perspex for a while.

If i want to cut triplex cardboard and foamboard is there a choice from those that i can use?

HIMNL9

The better way, can be to use an UV (blu-ray) diode, due to the higher energy and burning capability ..... you can DIY something from an 8X or 12X diode, or some of the users here can build for you an 8X or 12X module, including the heatsink/body and the focusing lens assembly (being not a pointer, it can be legal almost anywhere) ..... names that came in mind on-the-fly are Jayrob, Daguin, Yobresal, but i'm sure there are others that can do this (i'm actually out of powerful BRs) .....

Or you can try to build (or have built) a similar module, using a 445nm 1W diode ..... cannot give you prices for the work of other peoples, you have to ask them, for this.

A possibly cheaper alternative, can be to find on ebay or ebid some IR modules, but these ones are invisibles, and for this reason, more difficult to focus and use, and more "risky" of visible ones, if you are not experienced in laser use.

I will have to ask later today.
Its rather difficult to do this kind of thing at work.

My manager is of the micro kind.

But thanks a million!

HIMNL9

the diodes in the links said output power 70W

LOL ;)

Sorry for the laugh, but, please read their datasheets .....

The 70W of that nanostack chip is referred as peak pulsed power, where the pulse is 100 nanoseconds (or 0,1 milliseconds, if you prefer) ..... this gives you an equivalent CW power of 0,007W, or 7mW .....

Going over this power in CW mode, the diode simply burn itself .....