Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Cat Toys

Remco2

Hi ,

I just want to know, can you get a keychainlaserpointer to play with your cat?

But then the questions,

1 What will be safe for a cat,or another pet?
red 1 mW?
Red 5 mW?
Green 5 mW
Red 100 mW?
Green 250 mW?

2 And what about a friend of mine, who has a real 1 watt (1000) mW green laserpointer of 1000 dollars/euros.

He asking if he can play with his cat with his 1000 mW 1 Watt green laser.

What do i have to tell him?

Answers and help are very welcome.

Remco2

1) Nothing over 5mw is good practice. Not sure if it would be any different for pets.

2) Really? Only if he prefers that his cats be blind

2.1) If he is really asking that, he needs to get rid of the laser, since he doesn't know enough about it to need it.

IF HE REALLY CARES ABOUT THAT CAT, he'd BETTER spend $150.00 + Dollars USD for a VERY GOOD pair of KITTY SIZED SAFETY GOGGLES, otherwise that cat is gonna need a white cane with a red tip, & for good measure (get this), a seeing eye dog ! HA HA HA HA HA !!!!
PS That is IF that BIG BAD GREENIE doesn't leave Mr. Kitty with 2 smokin' holes where his eyes used to be (& the itty, bitty, kitty brain behind them) !!! J/K

I love animals & wouldn't want to see ANY harm come to someones pet (or any other animal). This was just my twisted (at times) sense of humor !!!! Sorry, rob

I also agree with answer 2.1 in the above post. HE might be the one needing the cane & dog unfortunately.............

Last edited:

Remco2

1) Nothing over 5mw is good practice. Not sure if it would be any different for pets.

2) Really? Only if he prefers that his cats be blind

2.1) If he is really asking that, he needs to get rid of the laser, since he doesn't know enough about it to need it.

Thanks for your help,

And yes, he really ask me that, he did not know anything about lasers i think.

I really hope, he does not dangerous things with his green 1 watt laser.

I have a 1 mW red keychain laserpointer, and i play with my pets, cats, at times, because that is pretty safe i think.

Remco

5mW is the absolute maximum output power(of any wavelength/color) I would ever suggest be used around a pet... ever.

I also second that your friend probably knows nothing about the laser he has and he really really needs to spend some time here reading about safety. The pointer he has is capable of blinding himself and others instantly and permanently.

Last edited:

Remco2

5mW is the absolute maximum output power(of any wavelength/color) I would ever suggest be used around a pet... ever.

I also second that your friend probably knows nothing about the laser he has and he really really needs to spend some time here reading about safety. The pointer he has is capable of blinding himself and others instantly and permanently.

I called him 2 minutes ago, and i asked him, to look at the Danger sticker on his 1 watt ,1000 mW greenie, and he says its 1000 mW exactly, and testet at 1008 mW.

I have alot of laserpointers ,a nice collection, of red,green blue and violet, from 1 mW til 3 watt 3000 mW , but more later elsewhere on the forum about my lasercollection. just received a 3000 mW handheld laser, and a 300 mW blue and green.

Very nice material i can say, but im very carefull with these things, because i know how dangerous they are, when you use it wrong.

But for cats, 1 mW red is the absolute limit i think.

Remco

For the purpose of this thread past occurrences do not matter as the question was legitimate however the question had already been answered throughout this website hundreds if not more times. I am in a good mood so I don't mind helping though.

For future questions Remco, you would be better off translating it into a search and spending some time finding it because it has very likely already been answered. Others on the forum will take more kindly to ones who spend time doing their own research.

Remco2

For the purpose of this thread past occurrences do not matter as the question was legitimate however the question had already been answered throughout this website hundreds if not more times. I am in a good mood so I don't mind helping though.

For future questions Remco, you would be better off translating it into a search and spending some time finding it because it has very likely already been answered. Others on the forum will take more kindly to ones who spend time doing their own research.

Thanks for your answer.

I see, you have also alot of lasers.

Me too, its one of my favorite hobby,s.

And im from Netherlands Europe.