Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Build

I have been reading up on the forums for a week or so now as well as watching YouTube videos on laser construction. I am looking to buy (or build) a laser for both astronomy and burning. I know that green appears to be brightest to the human eye, but if possible I would like to avoid green. I want the lasers beam to be as bright as that of a 100mw green. I don't want to spend over $95 overall (including parts, shipping, taxes etc.) The parts list I have now is below. Please let me know if everything will work together and if the brightness will be equal to that of a 100mw green as well as any changes you would make to the list.

Module: 445nm M140 Diode In Copper Module With Leads & Three Element Glass Lens
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

Driver: 18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm)
18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Host: DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Pointer ( Complete Set )
DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Pointer ( Complete Set )

Battery: 18650 Battery with Universal Charger Set
18650 Battery with Universal Charger Set

Thanks,
theRadish

Last edited:

hi theradish,

More people out here with more knowledge than myself, but, I believe that the circuit board is a Linear driver meaning you would require the voltage in would have to be equal to the voltage you want out, I may be wrong, I have not used the circuit board.

If you only want one 18650 @ 3.7v your best bet would be for instance the Micro Boost Drive.

Carl

hmm ok. Will the host work with the microdrive and these parts. I can't machine anything and I don't have a decent shop to work in. I want it all to be hand assemble-able

Thanks

The Micro Boost Drive is something in the region of 11mm x 9mm so is very small. Not sure as have had no dealings with this host

for my build of 1w 445nm i used this host

http://dx.com/p/5w-luxeon-lumiled-3-aaa-mxdl-flashlight-3405?item=1

the micro Boost drive had plenty of room in this one, Hand assembly should not be a problem as basically if you can solder, thats the only hard bit you need to do. remember though that you will require a heatsink for the particular host you get.

Remember also that the driver will also need heatsinking as the 140's need lots of power to run, so short on times followed by of times for cooling.

Carl

Last edited:

gillza

Microboost are hard to find or are very expensive (35) as the maker of these drivers (drlava) has not been seen on this forum for a while. The only thing special about them is the fact that they are adjustable and they at this point have "historic" value around here ;)

For boost capable driver contact Le Quack, Foulmist, Lazeerer or perhaps benmw (I haven't heard of him making drivers upon request though). Also DTR used to sell Anthot's boost driver set at 1.1A. Search is your best friend :)
There are also drivers available at cajunlasers as I have mentioned before.

gillza

Carl,

Good luck with your order. I would be very interested in finding out if dear Dr. Lava ships those two. Last I heard that site was pretty much dead... I hope it is not the case!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks guys have had purchases from him in the past, if I remermber from the last time the website is like a hobby so only gets to process orders on weekends. that was about 9 months ago. If/When I receive them I'll let you guys know.

Carl