Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser as in-home Self Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have a concealed weapons permit I had to go thru a class and in that class they told us that if you have to defend your self in a home invasion never ever wound someone, make sure that they are dead. If you only wound some one they can sue you. If you permanently bind someone you will be supporting them for the rest of your life.

If someone breaks into your house and you wound them and they get out of your house you are screwed, even the police will tell that. They will also tell you to drag them back into your house and make sure that they are dead.

I took my concealed weapons class from a detective, so I would imagine he knows what he is talking about.

If you would like to take a laser or a tazer to a gun fight be my guest, but you will lose.

When I was 19 I saw a guy(Warren) I know get stabbed with a knife in the thigh, as Warren pulled out the knife he looked at this guy that stabbed him and said " it takes more of a man to pull a knife out than it does to stick it in". Then he handed the knife to the bartender and grabbed the guy that stabbed him and drug him outside and beat him severely, he was unconscious when the police and ambulance arrived. Put him in the hospital for 4 days with a broken jaw, nose and some ribs before being taken to jail and locked up. Warren got 4 stitches and was sore for 3 or 4 days. Warren is probably one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, but never piss him off. So if you think stabbing someone with a knife will stop them I would think again, you might piss someone off.

Last edited:

EXACTLY! 00Giorge is right.
Shoot to kill, self defense until they are dead.
Only one side for the court to hear if you do it that way.
+1 (if it will let me)

^^Thanks! After having friends that are police officers and 1 judge, they all say the same thing "dead men tell no lies and can't sue you!"

Sauron

I guess I'll have to hold my 1W on the guy's chest until it burns through his heart lol.

And, if you own a firearm you need to train with it. Because you don't want your adversary to get it from you. As far as lasers go, it's never legal for use as a weapon. You can never legally point a laser pointer at anyone. A laser site is legal to point, to save your life with a kinetic projectile.

Last edited:
S

Stephen j gilman

I take just injuring someone over killing them always! If you want to murder someone who just needs a crack fix and is unarmed go for it! What if it's some dumb kid trying just to steal a tv? What if a drunk 15 year old kid walks in to just grab some thing he saw threw a windo? I agree only a gun beats a gun. But moast home invasions don't have a firearm because it's a much bigger crime with a gun! You can get out in a day or so for just breaking and entering without a weapon! Be sure YOUR life is in danger... Not just you hot-wheels collection... Or you are a murderer!

Ps
Also you can't kill the people next door with a taser from your home!

^^Thanks! After having friends that are police officers and 1 judge, they all say the same thing "dead men tell no lies and can't sue you!"

I am sure you are joking or just taking a position, and i respect it.

But i think if you take a life, even to defend yourself, you will fight with coscience the rest of your life.

We having lots of defence effective, not lethal, devices out there, just ideal for homeless or drugg-addicts, that may break inside a house...starting with loud pocket alarms and several grade of stun devices, that can be EFFECTIVE even if an attacker is armed.

Show a gun to someone armed, and one of you will finish severely hurt and dead. will all the terrible consequence.

Run a 150db pocket alarm, and only a crazy will keep staying in your house, if someone is doing something wrong, hearing a strong electronic noise, by istinct, makes him to run away. If someone is a troublemaker, a 500.000v stun gun or air taser, will calm down his spirit for 30 good minutes. Just the time the police come to catch him, and after a such electroshock, he will barely remember what happened, and never come back again.

Make a permanent damage to someone or even kill him, you will fight with your coscience, with law and with friends/parents of that person, for the rest of your life.

I've been robbed in the street, years ago..a guy put a knife on my side, he first checked if i had a gold watch or chain and checked on me, he asked my car keys, i said i had no car (they keys was in the bag) then and asked my pocket..i had $15 in the pocket and 200$ in a bag.. so i threw the $15 from the pocket, and i tried to distract him, and told him if he could leave me $5 for taking the bus to get to my mother in the hospital.. he threw the $5 to me, and ran away..then stopped, put the knife away, came back, and asked me if i knew a bar in that area.. and i told him where to go.

I "heard" that guy was arrested the same night... so, they are usually very intelligent people!!

Never recovered the $10 anyway.. what a shame ;)

Last edited:
I recently purchased an S3 Artic for home protection.

I added a wrist strap to the safety interlock so that the laser can't be taken away from my wife and used against her (pin will be pulled and laser disabled if taken away from her. The flood light lens is the lens of choice.

I've read a lot of POV's against lasers being used as any kind of weapon and certainly would not want to have one used against me.

In the country where I live guns are not a viable option. Knives are used often as the weapon of choice. If someone breaks into my house (while I am home) they are dangerous. I might not go on the attack with the laser but it is an execelent last line of defence, and i wouldnt worry about damaging a criminals eyes and being sued or prosecuted.

I know it worries a lot of posters that lasers will be regulated because they are sometimes used as a weapon, if you are in the situation I described above and feel that way I suggest you grab a knife (after you have blinded your invader) and gut him in your living room, if it will make you feel better.

First of all, thanks for posting in a dead thread. Two years old, in fact. Second, have fun trying to shine a pinpoint of light at someone while they're running at you with a knife. Unless you're a sharpshooter (which you're not, since guns aren't an option), there's a very little chance you're going to hit an attacker in the eye. Let alone twice, unless they're a pirate with only one eye. If they're crazy enough to try and attack you with a knife, they're probably not going to stop and think about that laser blinding them. Overall this forum has agreed that lasers are one of the worst self-defense solutions possible. Little stopping power, little accuracy, and the fact that there are much better solutions out there make it a bad decision. Heck, a metal pole would be a better option in a knife fight than a tiny dot of light.

First of all, thanks for posting in a dead thread. Two years old, in fact. Second, have fun trying to shine a pinpoint of light at someone while they're running at you with a knife. Unless you're a sharpshooter (which you're not, since guns aren't an option), there's a very little chance you're going to hit an attacker in the eye. Let alone twice, unless they're a pirate with only one eye. If they're crazy enough to try and attack you with a knife, they're probably not going to stop and think about that laser blinding them. Overall this forum has agreed that lasers are one of the worst self-defense solutions possible. Little stopping power, little accuracy, and the fact that there are much better solutions out there make it a bad decision. Heck, a metal pole would be a better option in a knife fight than a tiny dot of light.
Thanks, It's not dead thread for three reasons. It appears on the internet when searched for, It is not a closed topic, and there will always be a guy who doesn't know what he is talking about who will post a SA reply (thanks for that ).

Nobody is talking about a tiny dot of light, do some research and keep posting crap... your needed.

SOG

Let me add one more common...

I don't understand why would you want to focus the bean into someone's eyes,
I think flood laser light would work... a flood light would be enough of a distraction and also
it would bind for at least a min or two under indoor lights situation... should be good enough for you to run away.

Is pepper spray / mace available in your country?
It would seem to be a better solution. Large canisters have decent range, provides a lasting effect, no permanent damage / no risk of prosecution or civil suit.

Just recaping what's been said before a bit...

Lasers are a terrible choice for home defense.

If you manage to use one to successfully blind someone, which is not likely, you will end up in court, and likely paying the robber for the rest of your life.

If guns are not a good option, and home invasion is a real possibility, consider instead spending money on defensive measures such as an obvious security system, with a loud alarm. Strong locks. Barred windows, etc.

If that first line of defense fails, you're much better off with a very powerful flashlight instead. Why you ask?

Because a flashlight is EASY to aim, and on strobe, to dark adapted eyes, it is extremely disorienting. Add in an airhorn to alert everyone within a mile while you're at it.

Pepper spray is an excellent option OUTSIDE.

If you use pepper spray indoors, you're going to have a problem yourself from it too.

Honestly, a metal bat, and a good flashlight set to strobe is your best bet, short of a shotgun.

JLSE

I know when I break into homes in the middle of the night, I wear my Eagle brand
laser goggles :tinfoil:

jakeGT

I know when I break into homes in the middle of the night, I wear my Eagle brand
laser goggles :tinfoil:

282319470360749059_QR6j9wSl_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.