Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser as heat source for quartz

kecked

I had not considered titanium ferromagnetic but it appears exhibit such inductance in a magnetic field. Looks pretty weak so you’d need a lot of energy to do little work but I guess the amount of material is pretty small to heat.

if you want the light show and less danger use one of these heating methods with a low power laser. It will look cool and act like a high power laser. So you heat with say my idea of a regular heater and hit it with a couple mw laser. Lights up and still smokes but safer.

Tinshifu

Idk if this has been stated but I have to urge caution when it comes to shining a laser at glass. TIR and unpredictable optical properties could result in potentially damaging beams exiting the piece of quartz at an unexpected angle. Interesting project idea though, where it’s legal!
Yea you are right

Tinshifu

I had not considered titanium ferromagnetic but it appears exhibit such inductance in a magnetic field. Looks pretty weak so you’d need a lot of energy to do little work but I guess the amount of material is pretty small to heat.

if you want the light show and less danger use one of these heating methods with a low power laser. It will look cool and act like a high power laser. So you heat with say my idea of a regular heater and hit it with a couple mw laser. Lights up and still smokes but safer.
Ok thanks I’m gonna work on that