Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser 303 Disassembly

irish303

I decided to disassemble one of my two Chinese 303s ... having never done it before,
I decided to share this short but exciting experience with YOU (with a little surprise on my part about the ending)

Below I am attaching photos

https://ibb.co/wBc7bFw

https://ibb.co/gzFhDtb

https://ibb.co/qrPNqxv

https://ibb.co/vkXQjty

To my astonishment and amazement I realized that the collimation lens that they inserted inside these two 303s are two G-2 lenses,
I carried out two small tests (I didn't take photos of the tests)
On CD cover, burn and hole, with match it burns neither the light wood nor the red bulb ....
( IMO perhaps on the strong black root the beam .... on light colors or other colors no! Who knows actually what power has )

I'm pretty sure these aren't G2 lenses. They might be glass, though many of the 303s use acrylic lenses and they look like glass even though they aren't.

Encap

I'm pretty sure these aren't G2 lenses. They might be glass, though many of the 303s use acrylic lenses and they look like glass even though they aren't.
Exactly--had same thought when first reading the OP. Could be true but extremely unlikely.
Would guess it has to be creative imagination and/or lack of knowing what a G2 lens is and what they cost.
Maybe the OP just meant glass which possible but again not likely.

Might be a glass lens however as you say most laser 303s have an acrylic lens that looks and feel like glass.

On a cost basis alone a G2 lens in a low power, low end and quality, mass produced red laser that retails for $7 to $10 including shipping doesn't make any sense. If the OP is saying each Laser 303 has 2 G2 lenses, that is obviously preposterous.
Real G2 aspheric lenses alone cost run $10 to $25 depending on quality and vendor. Wouldn't make any sense to put them in low cost and output power Laser303s --not necessary for any real reason and costly to do.
There are thousands of resellers of Laser303s none of them care or say what lens is used and their customers don't even think or know to ask is my guess. Is all about volume of product sold and $s. If you are selling one with an expensive lens then you are not competitive price wise and sales due to a more expensive product or your lose money due to cost if sold at a competitive price.
Even on eBay a G2 lens costs more than the entire Laser303 even including shipping, battery, and charger--generally speaking.
See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...osacat=0&_odkw=replacement+lens+for+laser+303

Last edited:

irish303

Even if I remove the lens, can I tap it with an awl and hear the sound it emits?
Plastic has a sound, glass another!

irish303

Exactly--had same thought when first reading the OP. Could be true but extremely unlikely.
Would guess it has to be creative imagination and/or lack of knowing what a G2 lens is and what they cost.
Maybe the OP just meant glass which possible but again not likely.

Might be a glass lens however as you say most laser 303s have an acrylic lens that looks and feel like glass.

On a cost basis alone a G2 lens in a low power, low end and quality, mass produced red laser that retails for $7 to $10 including shipping doesn't make any sense. If the OP is saying each Laser 303 has 2 G2 lenses, that is obviously preposterous.
Real G2 aspheric lenses alone cost run $10 to $25 depending on quality and vendor. Wouldn't make any sense to put them in low cost and output power Laser303s --not necessary for any real reason and costly to do.
There are thousands of resellers of Laser303s none of them care or say what lens is used and their customers don't even think or know to ask is my guess. Is all about volume of product sold and $s. If you are selling one with an expensive lens then you are not competitive price wise and lose sales.
Even on eBay a G2 lens costs more than the entire Laser303 even including shipping, battery, and charger--generally speaking.
See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...osacat=0&_odkw=replacement+lens+for+laser+303

The doubt is always there! regardless of the seller or not, I believe that if one wants to make you fool ... it makes you fool is enough! even the most experienced seller with lots of feedback!
Today the scam is on the agenda in my opinion!
Now I understand why many of you laser hobbyists build your own laser pointers yourself, choosing every single component piece by piece!
Who offers you the nice thing done at a good or salty price .... not always going to sell you something really like its description article / product

Last edited:

irish303

I checked the collimation lens,
It's a real G-2 in glass ....! I can feel lucky then!
Little expense .... and great lens (y)

Try some acetone on it. If it is glass, no harm no foul. But, if it is acrylic it will begin to melt almost immediately. If you can't find acetone use fingernail polish remover. Basically, the same thing.

irish303

Abnormal as a test, but I'll try it!

Last edited:
I am in my 60s and still have brown hair, but I did have blond hair as a youngster. And, yes, my daughter does have blond hair. The test is not abnormal at all. It is a very scientific way to prove the lens is not made from acrylics.

irish303

I am in my 60s and still have brown hair, but I did have blond hair as a youngster. And, yes, my daughter does have blond hair. The test is not abnormal at all. It is a very scientific way to prove the lens is not made from acrylics.

Ok Paul ....i try it ! Thx

Encap

Ok Paul ....i try it ! Thx
What difference does it make? Why bother with acetone or acetone based nail polish remover and risk melting the lens unless you plan on tossing the whole thing in the rubbish bin anyway?

It is what it is --- one of tens of thousands of very common, low quality, lowest end, Chinese mass produced lasers worth about the price of a good cup of coffee on a good retail day when new and about 1/4 to 1/3rd that from the maker when new, with no "used" resale value.
Is a throw it away if it malfunctions and get a new one type laser.

Put it back together, use it, and be happy you have any kind of a laser for the small price paid.

Last edited:

irish303

Too late Encap .... I tried to do as Paul had advised me, other than glass ... ( WTF_JC_HS_MF ) the lens melted like snow in the sun :mad:

Last edited:

irish303

What?! Do you think its funny? People here want to help you even after all you've written and you still can't behave like normal person?!!

Normal person ? I wrote so many things you only anal passion did you read? mah ....!