Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser 303 dimming.

I always just ask for a new one, the sellers usually comply if you send pictures, i now have like 8 of them lol there fun if you just want to point or play with a cat without setting it on fire(hint hint bad idea, 2w blues are not cat toys) all jokes aside, the moment you decide to suck it up and get a good one is the moment you really get into this hobby

Reactions: GSS

With the money you're wanting to spend, this is your only option. Open a return request with eBay. Ship it back, and buy another 303 laser. But be prepared for more disappointment. A 303 laser was my very first laser. It runs just fine, but only measures 25 to 30mW, not enough to burn even the blackest of items. Lol. Unfortunately, with your budget, your only option is buying them and returning them until you (hopefully) get lucky and find one that satisfies you.

Yeah, but a friend of me had a laser 301 from dealextreme, which I think is the real one, now he got a laser 303 from dealextreme. He haven't got it, but I want to see if the "real" one from dealextreme is better than the "fake" one from ebay. That's why I decided to buy a laser 303, becauseof the star cap thing. The dealextreme one is a little more expensive, and sometimes don't even ship with a battery. But actually I wanted a green laser pointer with a rechargeable battery, because the pens with 2xaaa batteries drain battery so fast. Aren't there any good laser pointers with a rechargeable battery for a low price?

Last edited:
I always just ask for a new one, the sellers usually comply if you send pictures, i now have like 8 of them lol there fun if you just want to point or play with a cat without setting it on fire(hint hint bad idea, 2w blues are not cat toys) all jokes aside, the moment you decide to suck it up and get a good one is the moment you really get into this hobby

Yeah, but I don't have that much money to spend, I just bought some other stuff I always wanted, like a Nixie clock, and they are expensive.

GSS

Yeah, but a friend of me had a laser 301 from dealextreme, which I think is the real one, now he got a laser 303 from dealextreme. He haven't got it, but I want to see if the "real" one from dealextreme is better than the "fake" one from ebay. That's why I decided to buy a laser 303, becauseof the star cap thing. The dealextreme one is a little more expensive, and sometimes don't even ship with a battery. But actually I wanted a green laser pointer with a rechargeable battery, because the pens with 2xaaa batteries drain battery so fast. Aren't there any good laser pointers with a rechargeable battery for a low price?
Do you mean 301. I dont think there is a real 301 or 303? Vets tell me if im wrong, I know you can find one with a 405nm but again dont know if the 405 are a gamble also. I got 2 301s and one isnt that good an the other is. Just like everyone posted its a gamble. Im confused if the 1 you want from deal DX is a pen or 303 style. The 301 and 303 are brutal to take apart if your thinking of pot modding, everything is glued in and I dont even know if they have a pot. If your talking about the pens forgive me but you know the dangers of pot modding. If you can get your money back go for it, but if not I guess you can dissect and learn from it. Like everyone said you might have to pay. Look around a decent one might not be that expensive OK saw that you changed to a 301

Last edited:
Do you mean 301. I dont think there is a real 301 or 303? Vets tell me if im wrong, I know you can find one with a 405nm but again dont know if the 405 are a gamble also. I got 2 301s and one isnt that good an the other is. Just like everyone posted its a gamble. Im confused if the 1 you want from deal DX is a pen or 303 style. The 301 and 303 are brutal to take apart if your thinking of pot modding, everything is glued in and I dont even know if they have a pot. If your talking about the pens forgive me but you know the dangers of pot modding. If you can get your money back go for it, but if not I guess you can dissect and learn from it. Like everyone said you might have to pay. Look around a decent one might not be that expensive OK saw that you changed to a 301

I am just waiting on my friend's opinion on the dealextreme laser 303. If it is good I may buy it too, or a 301 if it is bad. But the laser I want to get from dealextreme is the "true" 5mw laser pen. And yes, I know the danger of pot modding it, but yeah, that's the only option I think of getting a cheap and a bit powerful laser.

Last edited:

GSS

This sight looks good, ive seen posts that members say if it says military mabey its decent (I know its advertising) All of my pens and my 2 301s came from TMart.com. If you order from thier US warehouse shipping is quick, at least to the US. I dont know about the Neatherlands. Prices are cheap. and half of them that i got were overspec. Let the vets steer you better

I can't believe nobody mentioned this,

But it actually sounds like a battery issue to me. When was the last time you recharged that 18650? Do you have a multimeter, what's the voltage level when it's fully charged?

If you plan on having a 18650 powered laser anyway, I would recommend first getting a decent 18650 cell or two, and then worry about lasers. It's entirely possible that using a decent freshly charged cell will bring the laser you got to life.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

But it actually sounds like a battery issue to me. When was the last time you recharged that 18650? Do you have a multimeter, what's the voltage level when it's fully charged?

If you plan on having a 18650 powered laser anyway, I would recommend first getting a decent 18650 cell or two, and then worry about lasers. It's entirely possible that using a decent freshly charged cell will bring the laser you got to life.
Shame on us! I guess its a 301 laser thing:yabbem:I mean when we see 301 battery or not its supposed to burn!

Last edited:
Shame on us! I guess its a 301 laser thing:yabbem:

I never had 301 or 303 lasers, but a number of greenies and even non-DPSS lasers displayed the same thing when ran at empty, or faulty battery: Light up, then dim down to nothing within a second or so. After a while it'd just be a very quick flash and then nothing, if the battery is really dead.

Rechargeable lithium ions most noticeably produce this effect, because they apparently have a tendency to produce the last oomph before admitting defeat, every time you turn the laser on.

Alkaline driven lasers I've had do not do this, as far as my experience goes.

When battery is fully charged it is 4.2v. Even when I fully charged it, the laser is dimming. As I said earlier, when I unscrew the focussing cap thing, the big dot on the wall is round at first, but gets dim and oval shaped.

Last edited:
I've been doing some tests with my laser, and it actually can light a match in the first second of powering the laser on, with the focus. Then it gets dim again.

I am just waiting on my friend's opinion on the dealextreme laser 303. If it is good I may buy it too, or a 301 if it is bad. But the laser I want to get from dealextreme is the "true" 5mw laser pen. And yes, I know the danger of pot modding it, but yeah, that's the only option I think of getting a cheap and a bit powerful laser.

You keep saying "true" and "real" 301/303, but what you're missing is that these are all incredibly cheap, low quality lasers from China. They will all be hit or miss, even if you happen to find the "original" 301/303. No matter where you order it from, it's a gamble. My wife ordered mine from the app Geek. Mine doesn't burn, but it's a nice little beam to play with at night, and it has held up well.

You keep saying "true" and "real" 301/303, but what you're missing is that these are all incredibly cheap, low quality lasers from China. They will all be hit or miss, even if you happen to find the "original" 301/303. No matter where you order it from, it's a gamble. My wife ordered mine from the app Geek. Mine doesn't burn, but it's a nice little beam to play with at night, and it has held up well.

That's why I used the " " , people say dealextreme only sells the real one, but even with them, there are always peoplw ho got one which doesn't burn.

I still wouldn't rule out a battery issue. A decent 18650 battery could cost close to what those ebay lasers sell for, so you are likely getting a fake battery (by fake, I mean if you cut open the cylinder you will find a tiny little battery and then some kind of filler to make it seem like the right weight for a battery of that size). Try it with an efest or imren battery instead of an unmarked or *****fire and see how it does.

I still wouldn't rule out a battery issue. A decent 18650 battery could cost close to what those ebay lasers sell for, so you are likely getting a fake battery (by fake, I mean if you cut open the cylinder you will find a tiny little battery and then some kind of filler to make it seem like the right weight for a battery of that size). Try it with an efest or imren battery instead of an unmarked or *****fire and see how it does.

I don't think it is an battery issue, the laser can light a match in the first second when the laser is bright, the dot is round at first, but it will dim and turn oval shaped.