Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Large Fiber Optic rod for combining lasers

If a person could order a special fiber optic cable about 1 foot long and have a large diameter of about say 3/16th of an inch large enough to capture in full the "focal" point of several laser diodes say 650nm red they focus to a really small point...and if several lasers were focused this way aimed into this large diameter fiber optic cable and the other end of the fiber optic cable was inserted straight into a aixiz laser housing with a glass lens with the housing drilled larger to allow the fiber optic to be put directly up to the lens then after passing through the fiber optic cable the laser light should act just like a diode before it is collimated just larger with more photons comming out it because of the combined lasers focused going into it then once the final lens collimates the cable it would yield a strong single beam right in theory! Let me know if you have any knowlege or experience to prove or disprove this idea...because I think the idea would work!

I dont know if your idea will work, sounds interesting tho. but here are a few websites to help you. I think what might work is solid core fiber optic cable, used for swimming pools. I know a little about fiber optics since Im certified to install it. I want to use this solid core design for when I get a pool.

Swimming pool fiber optic light Swimming, Pools & Jacuzzis at BizRate - Shop online for Sports Equipment & Outdoor Gear

Solid Side Glow Cable (GTCV-18) - China side glow fiber,optical cable in Stage Lighting

Very high power laser diode bars consist of a row of laser diode emitters mounted on a copper heatsink. There are fiber couplers that act like light funnels which take the output from all those emitters and direct it into the one fiber, which is exactly what you are describing. The only difference is you want to take the output from multiple loose diodes and combine them. If you take multiple diodes and place a mirror in front of each diode at a 45 deg. angle spaced so that they direct the beams into a tight row of parallel beams, you could then use such a coupler to take all that output and combine it into one fiber and collimate the output. It does work and has actually been done many times. Here's a datasheet for a 10W 405nm diode array from Nichia which works in a very similar way, only without the mirrors. By collimating the fiber output you eliminate most of the bad beam effects that come from using multiple diodes or emitters.

Last edited:
The main part you are missing is the Numerical Apature of a fiber. Please read up about it, then realize it will be about 0.6 for your idea. Caculate what the beam would be. I'll give you a hint...

If a person could order a special fiber optic cable about 1 foot long and have a large diameter of about say 3/16th of an inch large enough to capture in full the "focal" point of several laser diodes say 650nm red they focus to a really small point...and if several lasers were focused this way aimed into this large diameter fiber optic cable and the other end of the fiber optic cable was inserted straight into a aixiz laser housing with a glass lens with the housing drilled larger to allow the fiber optic to be put directly up to the lens then after passing through the fiber optic cable the laser light should act just like a diode before it is collimated just larger with more photons comming out it because of the combined lasers focused going into it then once the final lens collimates the cable it would yield a strong single beam right in theory! Let me know if you have any knowlege or experience to prove or disprove this idea...because I think the idea would work!

WOW thats one long sentance!

I also think that will work.. I have see this done some where on youtube, but for the life of me.. I couldn't find it!!

Switch

It is going to work if you want to burn with it up close but you're not gonna get a collimated beam.As a matter of fact I think you can lose the aixiz housing at the end, no point in trying to collimate that, and it would burn pretty well anyway if the fiber is thin enough.