Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Labby Driver Options? Please Help :D

Guys please don't spoonfeed people information. Give them pointers on where to find the information themselves.

KRNAZNBOY: You need to study up on some basic electronics before you even attempt something like this. This is going well beyond just finding some power supply and a driver. If you don't even know how to rig up a basic LM317 driver you need to do some of your own research with the tutorials and other guides that are out there.

Last edited:

Wow, you are just....wow. Some things never change. Oh well.

FYI I have bought a book on electronics and i have been reading for the past couple weeks. I have been trying very hard to learn and then here you come, comparing me to a baby. Sometimes i wonder how you are even well regarded here. I am trying my best, i am not asking to be spoon fed, i have earned my rep and respect here on the forum, and you should honor that. I see you are knowledgeable in this subject, but that doesnt mean you get to do this ^. I don't disrespect other members. You shouldn't either, even if they aren't a veteran like you. I am asking for help, that is all. If you have an answer, great, thanks. If not, go somewhere else. Leave me alone. Don't waste your time posting stupid, offensive images like that. I don't need this ^

Thank you.

Last edited:
That spoonfeeding image above is less for your benefit and more for the people performing the spoonfeeding. Still, in your case, the problem is that you visit the forum having done little research on the subject yourself expecting to be carried along through the process.

I do believe there are stupid questions and they are the questions that should not be asked because the asker hasn't done enough prior research to ask an appropriate question. An example is like asking how a LM317 driver circuit works. Don't ask. Go look it up. You're not a baby that needs to be spoonfed that information. If you want drivers fitting a certain criterion, look up the various drivers available. Ask specific questions only after you've looked up what you could. If you don't know what to ask, then you haven't done enough general research on the subject and should step back and do some reading.

But don't expect us to do the legwork or ask every damn question about specific things because you have no idea what you really want. It's like asking "I want a car that has four doors, can you suggest one?" No. Go look up the various models on the net and if you have specific questions then ask.

Unfortunately, people sometimes spoonfeed people information anyway. Their heart is in the right place, but that is like giving a man a fish, rather than teaching the man to fish: it only encourages people to ask for specific directions rather than having those people do the legwork themselves in learning about a subject. It harms the community more than it helps it.

And don't put much stock into "rep." It's not that impressive a metric, or relevant for most things. Rep can be received for numbers of posts, funny jokes, sales, agreeing with opinions, or just because we're forced to spread it around. These things don't necessarily mean the person is trustworthy or that useful, and many people have been burned by people with high rep, but a pattern of failure.

I don't care much about rep points -- though I do appreciate reading the messages and seeing if people agree (or even disagree) with what I've said. My posts aren't meant to be feel-good, but rather to say what I think needs to be said -- even if it offends the feelings of some people here. For giving rep, I give it only to let someone know I approve of what they're doing and expressing; the message is more important than the points.

Last edited:
I totally understand, i just don't see how the picture is necessary :D

Im trying to help from a thread here and posting those kinds of images isn't going to encourage answers you know? It will seem like the matter at hand has digresses from driver options to baby pictures.

And ill try to do more research before posting.

Thanks for the info anyways.

Last edited:
I'll remove the image since you've acted very adult in your response to it. Good luck with your research and learning!

if you didnt figure it out, you can use a LM338 in place of the LM317 and it's good up to 5A. if you are gonna run it at 5A you damn well better have a good heatsink on it. it is wired the same for constant current as the LM317 so the schematic listed earlier will work great
you can also get a sample of this regulator from TI:evil:

LM1085 is better, i have already used it. Good for up to 3A. The LM1084 is for 5A.

Thanks guys!