Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton groove duty cycle @1A + SWITCH FIX inside!

daguin

My guess is because this particular switch is really crappy, and the fact that a boost or flex
can draw up to ~2 amps or even more from the battery, depending on the setting
and the batteries voltage.

@daguin:
I just modded my last 3 switches, ordering more from DX.:)

I've got ~18 of the gold spring switches in tail caps now that will need to be removed and a handful of unused ones in a bag. I also have an order of the silver spring switches already in transit from DX.

I can probably get some to you sooner if you are willing ;)

Unless we find a workable alternative, LOTS of people are going to need these once Kenom starts shipping the finished Krytons.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Had another switch fail.

I got a laser back that had a failed switch. Owner reported "blinking" before failure. The microboost is heat sinked. I tested the laser with power from my bench PSU. No probelms. 4-minute burns without fail.

I decided to see how it acted with it being powered by the battery. I wired the battery to the positive spring contact and clamped the negative contact to the laser head. I have performed several 4-minute burns with the battery. It works perfectly. The only thing left is the switch.

I have tried the switches that came with the Grooves. I have tried the switches that Anselm got. Both fail at 1A.

We need a higher rated 16mm clicky switch. I sure as heck do NOT want to rebuild every switch the way that Anselm did :(

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** -- I just did a test run with the laser head in the body with me shorting the negative of the battery to the host. It ran fine for a 5-minute burn. The problems are in the switches :(

I had this exact problem when I did a 1 amp 445 in my Groove mk1 back in december and gave up looking for a replacement switch after wasting money buying ones that didn't fit. I might have to give the Anselm fix a try..

btw.. I like your rep power where it's at ;)

daguin

I had this exact problem when I did a 1 amp 445 in my Groove mk1 back in december and gave up looking for a replacement switch after wasting money buying ones that didn't fit. I might have to give the Anselm fix a try..

btw.. I like your rep power where it's at ;)

I'm going to send him a potful of switches to rebuild.

If this works, I think that a lot of Kryton owners are going to be very happy (and sending a few $ Anselm's way) :beer:

Peace,
dave

anselm

OP update with more pictures, tutorial style.
Daguin, I now am totally confident that this works, I'm going to send you and Kenom a switch each and you can torture them.

Last edited:

daguin

OP update with more pictures, tutorial style.
Daguin, I now am totally confident that this works, I'm going to send you and Kenom a switch each and you can torture them.

Sounds good.

I'm going to go ahead and ship the first batch of switches (20) your way.

I'll send the next batch as soon as it arrives.

Peace,
dave