Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Known Good DVD drives for harvesting

I figured I would start a topic to gather a list of DVD burners that are good to harvest LDs from. Meaning closed can, like the GB ones. Well seeing how I only harvested one so far I can't really add too much.

DVD_RW ND-1300A *Only a 4X but a nice diode still going strong at 150mA*

Gazoo

Kenom said:
I did a thread like this on CPF that I've just been referring everyone too. it's already become a pretty large list compiled. and just cause it's an open can doesn't mean it's better. The closed cans are actually better they just are harder to work with.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166188

Hello Kenom,
The open cans are much better at handling larger amounts of current which results in increased output. I have one I have been using for over two months. I normally run it at around 250ma's, have accidentally gone as high as 500ma's, and have occasionally run it 300 to 400ma's. Now I will admit I have been using TEC cooling, but I do run relatively long duty cycles at times considering the current I am using. However with no TEC and short duty cycles I believe the diode can handle the larger currents if properly heatsinked.

Now you may have not meant this because in your post you said the closed cans are harder to work with, and we both know the open cans are harder to work with...physically they are fragile. Electrically, they can take a beating.. :)

Kenom

Yeah, that's what I meant. being a open can they are harder to handle, harder to remove without damaging them and they are just more physically fragile. I've only gotten one open can diode out of my harvesting and it was rectangular. Of course it's also IR so I havn't even bothered with it. That and it has like 20 pins on the back of it. It's insane!