Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kaidomain 50mW CR2 - inital review

Benm

Yeah, looks like a bit of hackjob there too... The 2 resistors on the right (1k and the one i cant read) seem to be soldered in differently from the rest, perhaps even by hand.

chimo

Got mt DX version.  Cct board is different than yours (somewhat like the other DX models).  I will try to get time to take some pics and post this weekend.  

Prelim: brighter than my DX30 but collimination is not as good (mind you, my old DX 30 is excellent in that regard). Battery draw from a fresh cell is 290mA. Included cell was not fresh. This is a heftly little laser.

Paul

Benm

Nice to hear it has arrived - i'm looking forward to reading more of your findings!

chimo

Something I noticed when looking at your board pics.  Compare to the following - look familiar?

newwishbackzp1.jpg

newwishfrontwh4.jpg

These are pics I snagged off the net at some point.  

Here are pics of mine:
img0223smlws2.jpg

img0224smlpm6.jpg

img0211smalleg1.jpg

They look familiar too.

Benm

Familiar.. yes.. but are all pics above from the same single laser?

Otherwise, i'd suggest the kai is a mix of both technologies - but not identical to either.

Also, i found that focus is adjustable by turning the lens below the aperture. It's easily adjusted, and divergence is back to a proper 1.2 mrad or below for my unit. The specle in the output remains however, and doesnt seem to be caused by dust on the ouside.

chimo

Sorry, should have been more clear.  The top two were snagged off the net at some point.  They were labelled as a newwish brand.  I noticed the resemblance of the board on yours to those pics so you could "see" what is likely inside the part of the board that sticks into the head.

The bottom three are my DX30_CR2.

And, as a side note, I found a dollar store that sells CR2s.  I picked up a half dozen.  :)

Benm said:
Familiar.. yes.. but are all pics above from the same single laser?

Otherwise, i'd suggest the kai is a mix of both technologies - but not identical to either.

Also, i found that focus is adjustable by turning the lens below the aperture. It's easily adjusted, and divergence is back to a proper 1.2 mrad or below for my unit. The specle in the output remains however, and doesnt seem to be caused by dust on the ouside.

Benm

Okay... that makes sense.

The picture at the very top looks identical to that in the kai50, at least the part that i can see. I labeled a component as 'power transistor', but that might very well be the 6358N opamp visible in your picture. It's covered under the glue, and i can see only pins on one side, but there might be on the other too.

At least we are now certain that the kai50 and dx30 are different lasers, not only the circuit board, but also the way its mounted suggest different manufacturers.

As for the batteries: CR2's are insanely expensive here, but i ordered a couple of rechargeables with the laser and they do a good job.

chimo

I found out how my DX30_CR2 came apart. I just pinched the threaded area between a strap wrench and my fingers and twisted. It unscrewed easily (no glue).

img0266smallny1.jpg

The lens unscrews. It is slightly smaller than the Aixiz lenses.
lensjw8.jpg

From the top.
img0268ff5.jpg

Inside the barrel.
insidebarrelfp0.jpg

Benm

Interesting!

I think the kai is a bit different, there are 2 notches on the sides of the lens that are accesible from the outside to ajust focus. Otherwise, don't see much to grab hold of, except for the threaded part that screws into the rest of the housing.

I could grab that with a vice, but i'm sure i'd damage the thread doing so. If i had 2 nuts that fit the thread it would be easier, but i doubt the thread is standard.

Re: Kaidomain 50mW CR2 - initial review

My KAI 50 died tonight...  It was only on for about 4-5 minutes as I was experimenting with trying to burn some ink black paper (the paper never burned, smoked or complained)..  It was lasing fine and then just blinked off....

I was still using the original battery so I replaced the battery and measured the current draw at ~225mA, still no lasing.  I left it turned off for a couple hours and tried again....It's definitely malfunctioning as there's nothing green coming from the aperture.  There is a faint deep red glow (yes, I know..IR) but that's it.

I took delivery of the laser on November 17th and I don't think it has more than 45 minutes total run time since I've had it. The beam quality was always good but I don't think the power was close to the "true" 50mW claimed. It couldn't do any of the tricks you might expect but it did have a nice looking beam for star pointing.

Oh well.. It has a 30 day guarantee. I sent KAI an email; I guess I'll find out what kind of customer support they have.

In the meantime (and to make myself feel better), I just ordered the 90mW UltraFire laser from DX. :)

Benm

Too bad to hear yours died! I hope kai will replace it... perhaps you got a lemon.

Mine is still going strong, and i've been using it quite a lot on rechargeable batteries. It must have a couple of hours runtime on it so far, including stretches for more than 15 minutes continous operation. It dims when running continous for more than a few minutes due to heating, but it's still as bright as it ever was when cooled back down.

Btw, i hope you'll write a review once you get the 90 mW ultrafire - it seems like a promising product.

Benm ---

I got one of these about a week ago.  I forgot I had ordered it.

Mine put out a feeble 5 mW because of a dirty switch.  I finally tore the switch apart and cleaned it.  It went up to about 35 mW !!!  I've gone as high as 55 mW on a new cell.

Big problem ---- If it cools below body temp, it mode hops immediately putting out the bad news double beam  :mad:   and about 10 mW.

If I carry it in my pocket, It's OK.

Mike

I'm using 3.0 volr CR2 rechargeables.

LarryQ said:
[quote author=Hemlock Mike link=1193766153/15#27 date=1197060621]
If I carry it in my pocket, It's OK.

Mike's Packing Heat... ;D

Larry
[/quote]

Is that a laser in your pocket?

You mean my Walther PPK or the 40 mW laser. I also carry my 280 mW red and my DL95. Dangerous ;D

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
You mean my Walther PPK or the 40 mW laser. I also carry my 280 mW red and my DL95. Dangerous ;D

Mike

Mmmm PPK! one of my favorites. .32 or .380? Interarms, S&W, or one of the imported PPK/S?