Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just used my 1.6W 445nm for self-defense.

ummm.... what? Where is the smiley for scratches head...

Glad i wasn't the only one who did not understand what the hell was going on, it looks like they're tricking dogs into giving the finger prints :crackup: here's the confused one :confused: and :thinking:

MojoLA

If for whatever reason you decided to open up a can of whoopass on someone, and he whipped out a 445nm laser and quickly put your eyes out with it, wouldn't you "actually decide to GO TO THE COPS, hire a lawyer and sue the guy with the laser"??

No, it's not a given that someone is going to go to the cops and say "I was in the process of mugging someone at knife point when they blinded me with a laser."

If they were actually blinded in both eyes (another highly doubtful part of this scenario) then maybe it's more likely they wouldn't care about incriminating themselves... but if the attack resulted in *damage* to their vision (much more likely), they might not be so quick to go to the police.

Either way, I'm glad I didn't hit the guy's eye (or eyes) and damage his vision. Everything ended up just fine the way it was. But if he would have advanced any closer to me with that knife, everything might have ended up a very different...

-Jakob

i had a very similar self defense situation except with a 250lb lineman as the attacker
and an olike 50mw transformable greeny with a focusable lens in my hand. shot my attacker from 20 feet with a 1 foot wide dot for 3 seconds.
needless to say the guy couldnt find his way back to his car.
-Nicholas

MojoLA

That must be some O-like... I could shoot MYSELF in the face with a foot-wide beam from a 50mw green for 3 seconds and I'd be lucky if I even saw spots.

Did this "linebacker" have a fear of the color green, or just forget where he parked?

And before anyone jumps on me for always disbelieving these stories, perhaps you should tell the people posting them to make them a little more believable.

I mean come on, you really think a pissed off FOOTBALL PLAYER, running at you with blood in his eyes, is going to be stopped by a 50mw green - especially set at a WIDE dispersal?

How would you get him to stop running at you for 3 seconds while you shined the beam directly in his eyes, no blinking and no using your hand to block the light?

Do you have any idea how much ground a person can cover when running over a three second period? Especially an athlete? That 20 foot span would be closed in less than a second!

So you must mean you shone it at him from SIXTY feet away, and somehow he stopped in his tracks and just stared at the beam for three seconds and then ran away, clutching his face in agony and screaming "my eyes! my eyes! Why oh why did I pick on the guy with the 50mw O-Like?! I have learned my lesson!!!"

Actually, thanks for posting that, it was pretty funny.

You know what i really hate,.....

I hate it when some flemish dude and some dutch dude from a party agency abduct your fingerprints in a real clever and stupid way,....... :tired:

Umm :confused: Nanolaser, what are you talking about? Please clarify.

MojoLA, I agree, I wouldn't expect to see any kind of laser stopping an angry man in his tracks, especially a LINEMAN.

@ nkgamer1990, if you ever ACTUALLY find yourself in this situation, I strongly advise against shining your laser, as he will probably beat you with it, and shove it in a place where you won't ever want it back.

I strongly advise against bringing a laser pointer to a knife fight.

As comedian Rodney Carrington says, "if someone was going to try and beat my ass, I just pull my pants down cause nobody wants to fight the naked guy"
:crackup:

Glad you didn't shine it in his eyes, bad for you if he sued, bad for the hobby.
I have had a couple of knives pulled on me over the years, the recovery time is longer than if you had been shot.
Pulling a trigger is a simple action, it takes a screwed up person to look into someones' eyes and put a blade into them....
Good job on the quick thinking, better job on keeping all parties involved uninjured.
+1

if he tried to sue then wouldn't you just claim self defense???? he was threatening to stab them. thats personally what i'd do: anything it would take to get away from the guy unhurt.

Spengo

if he tried to sue then wouldn't you just claim self defense???? he was threatening to stab them. thats personally what i'd do: anything it would take to get away from the guy unhurt.

Civil courts are not the same as criminal courts. Except in some states that specifically prohibit it, injured bad guys (or their families) will sometimes sue the would-be victim after the successful self defense. Personally I carry a firearm for self defense and the risk applies the same to guns as any defensive weapon.

Still, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If a laser is all you have with you, use it. When it comes to defending the lives of myself or my family, I'll take any unfair advantage I can get. If you choose to carry a defensive weapon of any sort, I recommend finding out who the best self-defense lawyer is in your area. Have them do something cheap like help you write up a will so they know who you are and put their number on your cell phone.

There are some lasers marketed specifically as dazzling weapons iirc that do not cause permanent blindness. It could be a good idea if you live in or travel to places where carrying something more effective is not legal. Temporary dazzling would greatly reduce the risk of lawsuits. I believe it would probably be more effective than pepper spray (doesn't always work, especially on people high on drugs) but not as effective as a taser (actual taser brand taser that shoots the little prongs, not those retarded little shock devices. The C2 is a good, compact device).

@david1235102 - There was a case here where a jewelry store owner was sued into bankruptcy after successfully defending himself three times from robbers. He had been involved in three shootings (and cleared by the DA) where the preps opened fire 1st.

A bunch of activist anti gun lawyers made a civil rights case out of it because all of the robbers he shot where minorities. He could not afford to take on a case where the other side was getting unlimited free counsel. He had to close up shop (which was the goal of the lawsuit).

a former cop friend of mine would tell you that in most cities in the USA "Mutual combat is illegal"

even if you both want to fight or beam each other's eyeballs with your 445 lasers, you'd both get arrested/jailed potentially ...

but i do agree that if it were life/death and some gun-toting idiot was dicking with me, i'd surely whip out my 445(did I really just type that?)and beam his face and run ....

RECON

Just a delayed comment about all the above mentioned "harming or blinding the suspect." 8 feet was the distance right pianoman?? It takes most people less than 1.5 seconds to charge you from a distance of exactly 21 feet with an edged weapon, making this a justification for deadly force. So pianoman, theoretically you had less than 1 second to react. Bottom line...its you or him. So contrary to some posts here, there is clearly no means of a tactical retreat and no way out. Sorry but that's the truth...take it from someone highly experienced in this subject matter. Many responses here address the outcome to the suspect by using whatever means possible to preserve the life of a family member and/or yourself. Hind sight is 20/20. When the need to survive kicks in and tunnel vision is initiated...believe me...there doesn't exist a time or a place to address the what if's pertaining to the assailant and his well being. Furthermore, anyone here who says they wouldn't do or wouldn't have even gone a step further than pianoman is full of crap PERIOD. Flaminpyro said it best in his posts and good work to pianoman.

This thread has quickly strayed from a laser discussion so I feel it is necessary to address it as such. It is true you may get sued for your survival efforts, but nowadays people can get sued for practically anything. Ford faces a new lawsuit multiple times a day. Anyone who states they will give up their life in fear of being sued or facing an assault charge seriously needs to re-prioritize their life. That is all.

Sauron

Personally, I feel that a knife is a terrible device for self defense or attack. Unless you have a 12" kabar sheathed to your belt, you probably won't be able to whip it out quickly enough to defend yourself, and I'm accounting for illegal things like switchblades. I was once attacked by a crazed guy with a knife, and I was able to disarm him quickly and break his arm for the inconvenience. Then again, 17.5 years of Isshin Ryu under your belt will give you that advantage. No matter what item(s) you use to defend yourself, if any, the point is that you don't have time to think about minimizing damage when someone is assailing you. If you fear for your safety, you take out the attacker without hesitating, because hesitation only gets victims killed.

Spengo

Personally, I feel that a knife is a terrible device for self defense or attack. Unless you have a 12" kabar sheathed to your belt, you probably won't be able to whip it out quickly enough to defend yourself, and I'm accounting for illegal things like switchblades. I was once attacked by a crazed guy with a knife, and I was able to disarm him quickly and break his arm for the inconvenience. Then again, 17.5 years of Isshin Ryu under your belt will give you that advantage. No matter what item(s) you use to defend yourself, if any, the point is that you don't have time to think about minimizing damage when someone is assailing you. If you fear for your safety, you take out the attacker without hesitating, because hesitation only gets victims killed.

As I mentioned in another thread, I also consider knives a very poor choice for a defensive weapon. Even so, I thought I'd point out that switchblades are not always illegal, though I guess it depends on where you live. In my state auto-knives are legal so I carry one, not for self defense, but because it is a useful tool that I use all the time. Any knife will do really, but autos are good for showing off. :) Besides... you never know when you might get attacked by a horde of zombie cardboard boxes. :crackup:

Though I hate using wikipedia as a source, Switchblade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will give you a quick reference as to where they are legal in the USA.

Glad to see you're doing martial arts. Even if you use a firearm as a primary defensive weapon like me, nothing needs to be said about how important improving your coordination and speed is no matter what. I do Krav Maga myself and at the very least it is a great way to stay in shape and makes exercise fun. After all, the most dangerous killers in the world are poor health and old age.

Last edited: