Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just saying hello

SB241

I just started the laser hobby, I have read everything I could to gain knowledge, and as a firearms instructor safety is huge with me. I have learned with some lasers you don't get a second chance.

I am not good with electronics, this will force me to learn, that's a good thing.

I have made purchases from DTR, Rick Trent and Survival Laser in the last couple of days, I have two builds to start off with.

This forum has impressive knowledge, that I will continue to learn from. I am excited about my new hobby.

Thanks, Steve

Welcome friend :)
Good to see you're not afraid to do some reading but if you're having trouble understanding any concepts don't be afraid to ask.

Welcome! DTR is definitely a good choice to buy from so sounds like you have done your reading. Builds can be difficult sometimes but the sense of accomplishment you get when that beam of light comes blazing out of your first build is great. I remember my first one back when I was a build virgin and there isn't anything quite like building that first working laser yourself.

Just like VisibleGreen says don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions (if search fails). Also, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have and I'll do my best to get back to you with an answer.

SB241

Thank you for the welcome, and if I get stumped I will take you up on the offer.

joeyss

My recommendation is that you start with a 638nm single mode build as they need much less of a heatsink than other wavelengths and even 200mw will be amazingly bright. It's enough to burn and light matches and pop balloons. Don't go full crazy into those mutilwatt 445s until you get a grasp of lower powers IMO. My first burner was a 200mw 660 and it was alot dimmer then the new 638s.

SB241

[Qthejoeyss;1354389]My recommendation is that you start with a 638nm single mode build as they need much less of a heatsink than other wavelengths and even 200mw will be amazingly bright. It's enough to burn and light matches and pop balloons. Don't go full crazy into those mutilwatt 445s until you get a grasp of lower powers IMO. My first burner was a 200mw 660 and it was alot dimmer then the new 638s.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up I think I will try the 638nm first like you said. just like a noob I went for the 445 nm first, but I haven't even received them yet so I will shelf them and take your advice. on a good note I already own 4 pair of glasses three Eagles and 1 pair of 7+.