Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just ordered Viper 95mw from dragonlasers

I am new to this forum and I just ordered a Viper95. It is my first high powered laser, but I had a 5mw green ebay laser before. Should a 95mw be able to light black fireworks fuses? I hope so.

do you think that a dragon lasers 95mw will have a peak ouput power of around 115mw?

viper00716 said:
do you think that a dragon lasers 95mw will have a peak ouput power of around 115mw?

No, I think you should be praying for a peak output of 95mW from DL.

My laser came today! :) I don't have any balloons to pop though. :'( But I have managed to smoke leather and burn through a black trash bag.

MarbeL

No, I think you should be praying for a peak output of 95mW from DL.
I emailed dragon lasers asking what their duty cycle and peak output was for a 125mW laser.

Their reply to the duty cycle was
"operate it continuously from 7 seconds to 100 seconds."

Their reply to the peak output for a 125mW was
"The peaking output power of Viper 125mW is from 135mW to 200mW."

If the peak output for a 125mW from DL is claimed to be 15-75mW higher then the average output of 125mW, then wouldn't the 95mW from DL also have a peak output of 15-75mW higher then the average output of 95mW?

or was the email reply that the dragon laser rep. gave me full of it?

S

SenKat

There really is no way to tell for sure until you order one of them ! In all honesty, if their 95mw ones operate at higher than 125, they would most likely change the labes to 125, wouldn't they ? I am not speaking from experience - simply common sense. They ARE a company after all, whose primary goal is to make money, and if the laser performs that high consistently, then why shouldn't they sell it as a higher rated unit ? I am almost certain that CNI classifies their lasers based on the components used, and ensure that they meet minimum specs prior to shipping them to various companies - as a result of that, if they assemble a 95mw laser using parts meant for that unit, and it performs at 200mw ? They most likely still would ship it as a 95mw, since it was the 95mw parts they put into it. THAT owuld make sense to me - and then when the end distributer receives them, they classify them according to THEIR standards, relable them if needed and resell them to the end consumer. So - in summary (sorry so long winded) I would have to say that if Dragon receives a 150mw unit that came in the box with the rest of the 95mw units, they would slap a 125mw sticker on it, and call it a day. Since the highest power in the pen based units they sell is a 125mw, all the higher powered ones would be labeled as such, and any laser that is between 95mw and 125mw will be labled as a 95, and so on down the line. Make sense ?
Like I said, this is pure conjecture - BUT it makes sense to me ! :cool:

I've had a DL95 for about 6 months. My power meter can read total output of 135 mW Peak leveling to about 120 mW.
The DL125 I bought from a member here reads 128 mW peak leveling to about 120 mW.
This is with new e2 cells. It appears that my 95 is a luck of the draw hot one. I've never tried lighting fuse or BP with it. I presume that by black fuse you mean quick match (piped fuse) as used on big fireworks.

Mike