Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just my quick intro

AsteroidsOnSteroids

Hi everyone,

I'll keep this brief since I'm really not all that interesting.

I've been a sciency kind of guy from a young age and I've had a fascination with lasers ever since I somehow convinced my dad to get me a cheapo red pointer from some crazy store at my old local mall called Spencers.

I've been inspired to pursue this hobby now that I have the means to, and I'm here to learn. I've been lurking for a good while already and I've already built a 2W 445nm laser using an old mech mod vape as my host and a ben boost mini v5. I've also made up a nifty beam expander for it as well using scavenged parts from a spotting scope, some lenses from surplusshed, and a 3d printed coupler I drew up to fit everything together. Once I manage some good pictures I'll make up a post showing the details of all that.

I like to make things, and making things with lasers is even better.

I'm older now compared to that kid in Spencers who didn't know half the things he was looking at, and I've learned enough to begin to understand how much I don't know. This forum has already taught me a lot and driven me to push my limits (that ben boost mini v5 was the first board I had custom manufactured, and it was my first attempt at reflow soldering), and I look forward to what the future brings.

Benjamax

Hi and welcome!
Hope to see you build crazy stuff and post it here too ;)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Ah yeah I remember spencers. Last thing I bought from there was this cute little novelty megaphone that doesn't do crap haha. But it does make your voice sound mechanical. I knew it wouldn't do much but wanted it anyway. I never noticed any lasers but they did have a crap ton of nude playing cards :O

Thanks, guys. I really hadn't noticed until it was mentioned in a post. Hope you are doing well, Len. Be careful as Texas is seeing huge spikes of infection now.

THANKS bro- Now I feel that we are FAR from putting Covid behind us.
The 3rd wave will not be the last I fear. Much more could have been done back in March. (first 'surge') however that mindset is still going on. Some are predicting a huge number of new people will be infected on Thanksgiving Day. WE ALL need to be tested (again) then do what is needed for US- our family and friends and the general public to be safe. The Pandemic in 1918-1919 touched everyone.
It only stopped when there was nobody left un-infected.
2/3rds of the world population caught the 'Flu' and became immune- the other 1/3 died. wow. That flu ( misnamed Spanish Flu) is still around but we now have flu- shots. It was in the USA before it appeared in Spain - it was carried to Spain by USA troops.

Countries involved in WW1 intentionally held back the truth., not wanting to make them look weak. Spain was not involved in WW I at that time. MYB is should have been named the Philly or New York Flu.
The troops got infected at a huge War Bond parades and spread it to many places later. More lives were lost by that flu than were killed in both World Wars combined-- 30 million or more. .

The world needs badly to have everyone united== NOT divided.
Stay safe and well- wear face covering (actually using BOTH a mask AND a shield is much better BUT not done by many- shield w/o mask is safer. A Face mask leaves our eyes unprotected- the virus can 'hang' in the air for HOURS not minutes as was at one time believed.
..hak..

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I had to yell at a guy last time I went food shopping to step back because he was practically breathing down my neck. I don't like to have to yell but with some people it's the only thing they understand. Gave a huge attitude too but I don't care. My safety is at stake.