Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just how strong is class IV laser actually is?

bungy

I was just commenting on someone else's post and trying to make sense of the numbers. Thanks for your clarifications and also for the scolding :). As someone in this thread already mentioned, it's good to have a reference that's easy to relate to.

Just because I'm a newb to the forum, doesn't mean I'm a newb to lasers. I'm no expert, but I do understand the gravity of instant permanent blindness. That said, safety reminders can't be overdone.

Trevor

I was just commenting on someone else's post and trying to make sense of the numbers. Thanks for your clarifications and also for the scolding :). As someone in this thread already mentioned, it's good to have a reference that's easy to relate to.

Just because I'm a newb to the forum, doesn't mean I'm a newb to lasers. I'm no expert, but I do understand the gravity of instant permanent blindness. That said, safety reminders can't be overdone.

Heh. Sorry if I came off overly aggressive - I just wanted to be clear in no uncertain terms that 1W lasers aren't to be trifled with. Especially since we've got a couple cases here on the forum of people taking a watt to the eye.

Cheers, and welcome! :D

Trevor

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

bungy

No worries! And thanks for the welcome. Lasers have come a long way since I made my first one about 7 years ago. I have been mostly in the safety forum after deciding to get my feet wet again.

Heh. Sorry if I came off overly aggressive - I just wanted to be clear in no uncertain terms that 1W lasers aren't to be trifled with. Especially since we've got a couple cases here on the forum of people taking a watt to the eye.

Cheers, and welcome! :D

Trevor

I remember reading from somewhere that a 1mW laser light entering your eye is roughly the same as staring at the sun in broad daylight, more or less. Could be wrong, but just a reference

I'm sure if you used a magnifying glass and focused the sun into your eye it would be instant blindness...

Edit: When I was little and we went on road trips, I used to focus the sun coming through the backseat windows onto my brothers jeans. They would smoke quickly >:p

Last edited:
There's a lot of invisible radiation coming from the sun, idk how strong that is but yes, it is probably capable of permanently damaging your eyes, especially if you focus it