Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just how safe are you behind your laser glasses?

I purchased a pair of 445nm laser glasses with an OD of 4+ and while wearing them and putting my 1 and 2 watt 445nm lasers next to each other on the wall, the one watt appears white and the two watt still shows as blue, I assume this means less is being blocked, but just how much makes it through the glasses and how dangerous is it if I were to take a direct hit?

If you want to feel properly safe, get a pair of ARG goggles and you will be protected from anything violet, green and blue that any civilian could realistically get their hands on. They're like armour for your eyes.

Your current pair at OD4+ should still be doing their job, your seeing a small amount of blue isn't necessarily a worrying point.

According to this tool, the minimum OD required is 3.3 for a 2Watt blue: https://www.lia.org/evaluator/od.php

Your goggles are probably reducing the dot to, at most, one or two mW.

Last edited:
Depends what goggles you have. Whats the make and do you have an LPM to test them? :beer:

I do not have a laser power meter to test them but I did a simple test of shining the laser through them and the dot is reduced to almost nothing, I know that isn't the best test but it does show that they are blocking the majority of the light

Ok, but what make are they and did you get them from a reputable source? Not all goggles are as good as they claim to be. Take for example the wicked laser, or cheapie ebay ones...:beer:

Not very.
Safety glasses are rated for reflected beams .
If you point a laser directly at it , it'll MELT the glasses.
It served its purpose , but it does show even with safety glasses , you're not 100% safe.

On the ebay advert they mention: T(405nm-450nm)= 15 %.

This means they have an OD of less than 1 in this wavelength range!

15 % transmittance = 0.8 OD

This means if you get hit by a 2 W laser they will let through 300 mW! :tsk:

Real OD 4 = 0.01 % transmittance and would expose you to only 0.2 mW
Real OD 4.5 = 0.003 % transmittance and would expose you to only 0.06 mW.

No these goggles are not proper laser goggles, are falsely advertised and, if the transmission really is 15 %, they are dangerous to use.

I would suggest buying a set of eagle pair, or other tested goggles.

The best of course would be to buy properly certified goggles, but these will be much more expensive.:beer:

Last edited:
On the ebay advert they mention: T(405nm-450nm)= 15 %.

This means they have an OD of less than 1 in this wavelength range!

15 % transmittance = 0.8 OD

This means if you get hit by a 2 W laser they will let through 300 mW! :tsk:

Real OD 4 = 0.01 % transmittance and would expose you to only 0.2 mW
Real OD 4.5 = 0.003 % transmittance and would expose you to only 0.06 mW.

No these goggles are not proper laser goggles, are falsely advertised and, if the transmission really is 15 %, they are dangerous to use.

I would suggest buying a set of eagle pair, or other tested goggles.

The best of course would be to buy properly certified goggles, but these will be much more expensive.:beer:

assuming they'll look away instantly and not stare into the sun like a retard lol

The only truly fail-proof safety goggles is this.
brick-glasses.jpg

I am glad i asked, and i will always be skeptical to buy stuff like this from china, finding a propper pair of glasses now, thank you

Eagle Pairs are made in China lol

True, but provided you get an original pair from a reliable source they will be good. Two that come to mind are Survival lasers and Odicforce.

The problem arises when unknown, untested/unverified goggles are sold on websites like ebay and advertised as laser goggles. Often the sellers are clueless and wouldnt be able to discern proper laser goggles from (clear;) ) safety goggles. :beer:

Last edited:
True, but provided you get an original pair from a reliable source they will be good. Two that come to mind are Survival lasers and Odicforce.

The problem arises when unknown, untested/unverified goggles are sold on websites like ebay and advertised as laser goggles. Often the sellers are clueless and wouldnt be able to discern proper laser goggles from (clear;) ) safety goggles. :beer:

just saying almost everything is made in china these days lol
Its the cesspit of the world where you manufacture stuff that would otherwise be illegal or impossible to make it clean anywhere else lol

Rifter

I feel better behind my ARG's than my eaglepairs but im sure both are up to the task.