Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just got some new 'toys' ^_^

Razako

Found one. I don't think I'll be buying one though. After shipping it would be >$1000 for the transformer alone and then you would have a ton of trouble moving it around. Also you would need a generator to even power the thing unless you have a 50A breaker in your house. I would rather buy like 8 more of these neon transformers and connect all 10 for 15KV/600mA ;D
http://www.amazing1.com/tesla2.htm
Heavy duty 14.4KV 5 KVA 2 bushing oil filled unit. 220/110VAC input. Good for Tesla Coils, up to 12 ft. discharges!
Price does not include extra shipping and handling charges.

14.4KV/.5A.........................................$895.95 Call to order.

Yeah to tell you the truth I got it from my neighbor who works for the power company in my city. Just 100 bucks!! ;D Ill get some action pics soon. It is a refurbished transformer that was never put into use after it was refurbished. So it's in awesome condition! I wanna make a big Tesla Coil but the breakers in my house are only like 20 Amp. Plus I have to unplug the dryer every time I run it. But it makes a killer Jacobs ladder!

Things said:
Thats probably more like a oil burner ignition transformer, they are commonly around 1-6kV. Or a very small neon sign transformer, I havent seen them in 3.5kV b4.

THis makes me wanna go back down to the neon sign shop and grab 1 or 2 more  [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

My only NST is @ school right now  :(

Damn, I was just messing around with an oil burner and blew my Fluke 87 multimeter because i accidentally measured the high potential on the ignition transformer. The DMM says 1000v max.
luckly you can download schrematics from Fluke, and order components. and i think i only blew a few varistors and a surge protector. but its still a $300 meter and i hope its okay. :'(

It powers on but when i measure 120vac from the wall it only reads around 65vac.

Note to self, when doing favors for friends, always use your beater meter...

rip.jpg

Things

I hope its fixable, looks like a nice meter!

I just went down and picked up my neon sign transformer again, + I found a piece of circuit board layin around with a few nice big chips on it  :D

EDIT:

Picture067.jpg

Picture068.jpg

(taken with the camera in my eee pc, so not the best quality, but meh :p)

I fixed my meter! ;D

I LOVE FLUKE!!!! they make an awsome product!

Seems that i accidently applied 10K volts to a 1k max meter, and yes it blew only the over volt protection circuit.

How did i fix it??? well i opened a really cheap fluke70 and it seems the over voltage circuit is universal. so i swapped a few MOVs and a surge protector and presto! plus the fluke70 still works (its just not protected)

Plus by doing this i have re-calibrated the meter with a very nice (keithly) meter. so its accurate down to 0.1mV.

;D :D