Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just got my Wicked Laser Krypton (520nm)

I know that a lot of people on this forum have disdain for Wicked Lasers, but I had to have one...mainly because I was going to flip it on eBay. So, I found a third party in Canada to buy one for me at a small discount. It's big, but not disappointing in quality. Plus, it's supposedly over 900mW. How do these compare with the Jetlaser PL-E (or other lasers) in the same power as far as quality, features and reliability?

I understand that 520nm is only 70% as bright as 532nm, right? Also, the beamspot is a "line" instead of a spot. I understand that 520nm lasers are direct diode. Does that improve efficiency and longevity?

Attachments

• WL 1.jpg
    WL 1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:

Matt R

Wicked Lasers is a TERRIBLE Company ! They ripped me off and hundreds of others in there so called " FINAL 40 " sale. That said, I don't know if there quality is good if it actually arrives. Up until May or June of this year they only had dpss 532nm Krypton with 750mw power output. It had been out of stock for more than 6 months. When the Krypton became available again they switched the design to a 520nm direct diode model claiming a 1watt power output. I haven't heard of a 900mw model. From what I know the beam shape is oval/rectangular, similar to a 2-G lens. I think it probably has the NDG700 diode in it: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndg-700mw-520nm-laser-diode. If a 3-element lens is used in an aixiz module(diode and lens holder) the beam is very close to the circular dot shape of a dpss laser, but at the price of about 30% power loss from correcting the shape. As far as the 70% brightness of 520nm when compared to 532nm the "dot" is what is being referred to, not the "beam." The beams are closer to the same brightness. Here is a link to a brightness calculator: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (423nm 1mw) vs. (467nm 1mw)
Hope this helps. :beer:

Thanks! Now that I've been playing with it, I think I prefer the 532 nm lasers. This laser seems to have a wide divergence and a beamspot like a "slot". The beam seems stable, tho while my 200mw Dragon Laser seems to slightly mode shift over time.

Last edited:
The 'line' is due to the laser being a multimode laser. All 532s are single mode (well, ideally), which give their nice round spot. I'll not go into the differences, but generally speaking multimode diodes are capable of higher power output, and the high power 445s, 450s, 650s etc are all this way.

As for the 520 being a direct diode laser, that improves its heating characteristics and power consumption, since it's a fair amount more efficient than DPSS.

Last edited:

Encap

Thanks! Now that I've been playing with it, I think I prefer the 532 nm lasers. This laser seems to have a wide divergence and a beamspot like a "slot". The beam seems stable, tho while my 200mw Dragon Laser seems to slightly mode shift over time.

You're right---divergence is not as good.

The real reason WL changed to 520nm is because it is less expensive to make --they didn't lower prices thus they make more money than the outrageous amount they were already making given the host probably cost around $25 to make.
THe former owner WL reported that the Arctic host cost was about $15 to make someone post here on LPF at one point.
WL is all about money ---how to make something as cheaply as possible, still call it a laser and not sued for it.
The larger part of the money spent by the original WL was on clever and fancy marketing to people who don't know any better---that is how they made a fortune--along with and attractive design---the WL marketing was 95% smoke and mirrors, misrepresentations bordering on complete untruths.

Last edited:
Wicked Lasers is a TERRIBLE Company ! They ripped me off and hundreds of others in there so called " FINAL 40 " sale. That said, I don't know if there quality is good if it actually arrives. Up until May or June of this year they only had dpss 532nm Krypton with 750mw power output. It had been out of stock for more than 6 months. When the Krypton became available again they switched the design to a 520nm direct diode model claiming a 1watt power output. I haven't heard of a 900mw model. From what I know the beam shape is oval/rectangular, similar to a 2-G lens. I think it probably has the NDG700 diode in it: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndg-700mw-520nm-laser-diode. If a 3-element lens is used in an aixiz module(diode and lens holder) the beam is very close to the circular dot shape of a dpss laser, but at the price of about 30% power loss from correcting the shape. As far as the 70% brightness of 520nm when compared to 532nm the "dot" is what is being referred to, not the "beam." The beams are closer to the same brightness. Here is a link to a brightness calculator: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (423nm 1mw) vs. (467nm 1mw)
Hope this helps. :beer:

Thanks for the Link. I've been wondering the bright difference

If only you got the funds.... There's ton of people on eBay who don't know much about lasers and you could easily sell a wicked laser even 1W blue for more than 300$! They think it's good because it's well-known and probably make them look cool by just having one(lol).
before I came onto here I was actually going to buy one (used) from a guy who asks 600$ for a 2W blue!!! Just to calculate you would profit 300$(or more if NEW) and that's a deal if you got a friend who's in Asia and would be willing to bring it to you.

I've owned my Krypton for over a week now and am impressed with the quality and performance. I was going to buy it and flip it. Now, I'm thinking of just keeping it. I was blasting at stars last night from my apartment balcony and had a mob come see what was going on....it was so bright.

I am comparing it to my 532nm Dragon Laser Spartan with 200mW output...and it is significantly brighter at not much additional power consumption. That is taking into account that this wavelength is only 80% as bright as a 532nm beam of equal power.

The only flaw I see in it is a rough machining spot on the tailcap. I wrote WL and they'll send me a new one (not under warranty) for $10.

Last edited:
I've owned my Krypton for over a week now and am impressed with the quality and performance. I was going to buy it and flip it. Now, I'm thinking of just keeping it. I was blasting at stars last night from my apartment balcony and had a mob come see what was going on....it was so bright.

I am comparing it to my 532nm Dragon Laser Spartan with 200mW output...and it is significantly brighter at not much additional power consumption. That is taking into account that this wavelength is only 80% as bright as a 532nm beam of equal power.

The only flaw I see in it is a rough machining spot on the tailcap. I wrote WL and they'll send me a new one (not under warranty) for $10.

I think wicked lasers only problem is too underspec as their products are too big. But overall quality I think it's the best host around. they should made a smaller version of the arctic and krypton. Also it fits only one battery for such a big host :crackup:

APEX1

I think wicked lasers only problem is too underspec as their products are too big. But overall quality I think it's the best host around. they should made a smaller version of the arctic and krypton. Also it fits only one battery for such a big host :crackup:

What makes you think that they are underspec? I absolutely hate wicked lasers and am not sticking up for them! One could say it's underspec because of the price of the laser it self! But they are not underspec. It also doesn't really matter about how many batteries can fit in the host, what matters is what the driver is doing! They are also far, very far from the best host out there. MrCrouse, Ehgmus, Jayrob, etc.. all make better hosts than WL

Last edited:
So...if I'm actually happy with my WL Krypton...I'm just deluding myself?? :)

Yes, the host is big...but 900mW is also a bit of power. I had an earlier Krypton with only 150mW output and that host's size was certainly overkill. Are the other Class 4 laser hosts much smaller? I hold my new Krypton with both hands (when outside and no goggles) cuz I don't want it to get away from me and hurt me or another person miles away.

My next laser will probably be a Jetlaser PL-E except that i don't like the momentary switch. They scare me. That's why I sold my Optotronics 125mW greenie...too easy to activate.

Last edited:

Clearly you are missing a few :D

7xLdFne.jpg

APEX1

smeerworst, that's an awesome looking collection and display you have there! I keep all mine looked up in one of my oversized lock box lol

smeerworst, that's an awesome looking collection and display you have there! I keep all mine looked up in one of my oversized lock box lol

Thank you.... i should capture them all on one frame, one day :)

here are a few more..

If anyone needs to say they are underspec....
I can show you otherwise ^^

Some of those beams are needle thin... i love it :D

0IWqF0T.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you.... i should capture them all on one frame, one day :)

here are a few more..

If anyone needs to say they are underspec....
I can show you otherwise ^^

Some of those beams are needle thin... i love it :D

0IWqF0T.jpg

Dang, smeerworst! You are a laser'er. What's your favorite greenie? Also...which ones are "needle thin"?

Last edited:
Dang, smeerworst! You are a laser'er. What's your favorite greenie? (BTW...that Jetlaser(?) in silver is stunning). Also...which ones are "needle thin"?

My favorite ... pfiew ... hard to say :D i like them all really (not just WL, but in general)

The JL thingy is not a JL... it's a Photonic Disruptor Pro from 2009..
Waterproof up to 50 meters, rated 100mW but does >150

The older models like executive, or advanced, or whatever in that ara, are needle thin ..
There source was CNI at the time.

X8xHyGS.jpg

Last edited: