Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just got my first apple product, now I need apps

I just went to microcenter and got an iPad 2 16gb wifi (black) this morning, and now I need some apps for my new gadget. Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get an ipad and i7 3770k in the same trip though, microcenter had the 3770k for $290 with a $20 gift card as a bonus.

there are apps for everything... what are you into?

I'm a news addict, so I have every local and regional for my area , plus the major national news outlets. Most are free.

If you like music, try Pandora. also free.

Last edited:
I just went to microcenter and got an iPad 2 16gb wifi (black) this morning, and now I need some apps for my new gadget. Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get an ipad and i7 3770k in the same trip though, microcenter had the 3770k for $290 with a $20 gift card as a bonus.

If you are into time waster style games:
Angry Birds (any of them)
Cut the Rope (Original or experiments)

If you are interested in astronomy:
Star Walk

Star walk is indeed awesome if you like stars. dont have to be in astronomy.
Droplr is awesome too. Just click a image it gets uploaded and the link copied to clipboard so you can instantly share it on a forum ect :)
Teamviewer is awesome to control your pc.
Ambiance is the best to let you fall asleep on your own mixed nature sounds.
Skype to have call functions on your ipad. works very well since last update.
Living earth is the best for when you put the ipad in dock if youre going to do that.
Plane finder is generally awesome in any occasion.

For games i recommend modern combat 3, infinity blade 2 if you like action and response.

If you wanna have any fun with it i recommend a jailbreak :) It makes the device much more capable, although you'll void any warranty you have. I have an ipad 2 16gb wifi + 3g and i owned it for 2 months without even touching it because they didn't release a jailbreak for Ios 5.1.1 until after the hackinthebox conference in Amsterdam

I can see the benefits of jail breaking a iPhone. You can get your in contract iphone unlocked for use on a different GSM career. ATT will now do this for you as soon as your out of contract.

But what benefits does one get from jailbreaking a ipad, other then to steal apps?
Piracy of iOS apps really sucks, as these are the apps that already sell for just a few dollars.

Tweaks and 3rd party applications that for one reason or another one cannot get from apple. There used to be more of these that I used back in the iOS 3.x days. Apple has taken a lot of the ideas from these apps and built them into newer iOS versions.

Btw: unlocks are different then jailbreaks. A jailbreak lets you run unsigned code, some of which can help you unlock your phone for other carrier.

One other reason is teathering with a normal service plan. There are rumors that AT&T has caught on to this now at least for heavy data users with grand fathered unlimited data plans.

Last edited:

benmwv

Tweaks and 3rd party applications that for one reason or another one cannot get from apple. There used to be more of these that I used back in the iOS 3.x days. Apple has taken a lot of the ideas from these apps and built them into newer iOS versions.

Btw: unlocks are different then jailbreaks. A jailbreak lets you run unsigned code, some of which can help you unlock your phone for other carrier.

One other reason is teathering with a normal service plan. There are rumors that AT&T has caught on to this now at least for heavy data users with grand fathered unlimited data plans.

At&t caught me and I didn't even use it very much. I wasn't on an unlimited plan. They have some other way of knowing besides seeing a very large amount of data. They will send you a warning text and then they bump you up to the tethering plan

Jailbreak is definitely the way to go. So much cool stuff.

AnthoT

At&t caught me and I didn't even use it very much. I wasn't on an unlimited plan. They have some other way of knowing besides seeing a very large amount of data. They will send you a warning text and then they bump you up to the tethering plan

Jailbreak is definitely the way to go. So much cool stuff.

I used to love my jail broken iPhone, it was awesome, then I updated to 5.1.1 & it sucks :( it even lags now :cryyy:

Oh well hopefully the iOS hackers jailbreak it soon :D

benmwv

Im jailbroken running 5.1.1 ;)

I usually keep an eye on redmondpie, they always post the new jailbreak software as soon as they are out. There is a banner at the top of the page that will take you to the 5.1.1 jailbreak stuff.

Last edited:

AnthoT

Im jailbroken running 5.1.1 ;)

I usually keep an eye on redmondpie, they always post the new jailbreak software as soon as they are out. There is a banner at the top of the page that will take you to the 5.1.1 jailbreak stuff.

I don't follow it much :p

I keep an eye on them via facebook. they post a bunch of rumors sometimes but who doesn't when I comes to Apple. :D. They are usually right about upcoming jailbreaks.

@ben: That sucks. I only usually teather for a few moments a few times a year at best. My iPad is WiFi only but it's rare that I'm not near a wireless connection somewhere.

vk2fro

But what benefits does one get from jailbreaking a ipad, other then to steal apps?
Piracy of iOS apps really sucks, as these are the apps that already sell for just a few dollars.

And stealing from customers with an app that promises to provide but doesnt deliver also sucks. Since the app store isnt running the correct model (try first, pay later), I have no option but to try apps via alternate means to see if they are suitable, and then delete them and buy if I like, not buy if not suitable. Needless to say all the apps on my ipad apart from the stock apple ones are paid for, I dont mind paying for an app if it does as it should.

I have moved to an android phone now (but still have an ipad 3). Their system is a little bit fairer; as if you buy an app and don't like it, you can "return" it within 15 minutes (should be 24 hours) for a full no questions asked refund. I've had the samsung for 14 days now and have already refunded 2 "crap" apps. This system puts the onus on the developer. Create crapp apps, and watch the refunds fly.