Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just for fun, Lasers in the lowest possible quality :D

Hello all, been a long while since I've been here, thought I'd come back with something a bit on the niche and interesting side of things.

Years ago I got my hands on a GameBoy Camera, and just the other day I found a nice tutorial on how to get the images off of the GameBoy Camera using an Arduino, and now that I have a way to actually share the photos I take with it, thought it would be fun to take a few quick pictures of my lasers with whats possibly the lowest quality digital camera in existence. ;)

Heres my 510 green:
RacJ7SWl.png

My 638 501B red:
d5x723Wl.png

My 445 501B blue:
IGCuvV3l.png

And another of the 510, by itself in a dark room:
wkvzn6al.png

Truly these are of groundbreaking quality XD.
Jokes aside though, I do like how the camera basically turns real life into pixel art :D

For those interested, the GameBoy Camera shoots 128X112 images with 2 bits of monochrome value, which means the camera has a palette of black, dark grey, light grey, and white to work with.

Last edited:

Congratulations, I guess. That has to be the worst imagining I've seen at anytime. Even though they are monochromatic black and white the resolution sucks big time. Thanks for these terrible photos. :crackup:

+ Rep.

That's an excellent point, Jeff. It seems like many of the videos I have been inflicted with were shot with a camera just like this one. Why is it every time there is a space ship from another planet nobody has a decent camera to get a video of it?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I love the colour of that 510. :crackup:
Very funny Blarg, I wonder what brucemir world think of the idea of using a game boy camera? :whistle:

Oh, as you’re images are 128x112 px, you may want to resize them to make them forum friendly. ;) :D

Last edited:
Yes, well done.
This really demonstrates the monochromatic property of lasers.

RB
:crackup:

Benm

Hehe, the worst camera's... i doubt these even are the worst possible ones out there, though far lower resolution ones are not intended to be used as camera's at all, but more like solar trackers and such - all the way down to 2x2 pixels, though 8 bits for each of those 4 pixels :D

As for ufo's: those have detection systems for camera's, avoiding them the better they are. So when flying around at mach 1000 they avoid getting in the field of view of things like phantom 2640 camera's, while they will not really avoid your phone camera :D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
As for ufo's: those have detection systems for camera's, avoiding them the better they are. So when flying around at mach 1000 they avoid getting in the field of view of things like phantom 2640 camera's, while they will not really avoid your phone camera :D
Oh, that makes sense. Phone cameras are getting better hence why we are not seeing as many sightings as we should be. :D

Last edited:

GSS

The pixel pattern of the beam is actually kinda cool:)
Wish there was a way to get to look like that to the eye:cool:

Last edited:
I'm surprised you could get it to look as good as it does. How much fog did you have to use to get the beam to show up?
The images actually look kinda cool.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was going to be about low quality lasers, not low quality images of lasers :D.

I'm surprised you could get it to look as good as it does. How much fog did you have to use to get the beam to show up?
The images actually look kinda cool.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was going to be about low quality lasers, not low quality images of lasers :D.

No fog actually! Though all 3 lasers are powerful enough to have visible beams in a well lit room anyways.

The sensor seems quite sensitive, based on a handful of teardowns I've seen, theres no filters for UV or IR in the camera, not to mention no bayer filter either. Also the sensor is about 1/4 size, which is pretty large compared to smartphone and point and shoot sensors, and its only 128X128 pixels, so each pixel on the sensor is massive compared to a modern sensor, and bigger physical pixels can gather more light.

The pixel pattern of the beam is actually kinda cool:)
Wish there was a way to get to look like that to the eye:cool:

I suppose you could play with some high power lasers without goggles.That might get you close. :/