Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just came back from S.Central Thailand from the most amazing trip ever!

Hi, I think I mentioned that I was headed off to Thailand on the 19th of December. Well I just got back from a trip that defies words. My wife and I started out our journey in Bangkok. Just
a little note for those of you not familiar with this city. It is a big, dirty, fast paced, and at times sketchy city. If you have to come here you need your wits about you at ALL times! Bangkok central is relatively safe but getting outside the city centre, the infrastructure falls away to reveal the true nature of just how bad things are underneath all the glitz and glamour for local Thais. Disparity is in your face continuously.
Many taxis here will scam you if you aren't familiar with the fare system and there is prostitution everywhere including inside most of the hotels. Violent robbery is also common in broad daylight. Yes, that's right... Also to mention that (Yabah) also known as Methamphetamine is rife through out the city, and at least a few times seeing kids as young as 8 or 9 high as a kite on it either wading in open sewers up to their knees in filth or dumpster diving for rotting food. The smell of the open sewers is enough to make one gag, even from the comfort of inside a car. If you can imagine the the worst rotting cabbage smell/ rotting flesh smell. Things get ripe awfully fast in a Tropical environment.

I'll put it to you this way about Bangkok, there are places that are safe to go but stray from the tourist areas and you can quickly find yourself in major trouble. As a Farang (foreigner) you are marked as a quick easy source of $$$! Bangkok has it's own culture and it's corrupt to the core. This is also what many rural Thai's feel about the city as well. The city will eat you. They're aren't kidding either.

Now that we have one extreme aspect exposed, I'll expose another side of Thailand that makes Thailand famous. That is it's gracious hospitality.

So, My wife and I along with family and a few teachers from Macau got on a bus to go 500Km South to a rural area called BangSuphan. This is off the tourist map and very rural.
The bus frequently had to pull over and allow water buffalo to cross the road. Hitting a tonne of beef at 140Km/hr can do a lot of damage to a large bus! This is free range land and no fences.
My brother's wife is from the village of BangSuphan Noi.
We stayed at a locally run "resort" on the gulf of Thailand. It was stunningly beautiful. Clear air and not a hint of light pollution. The sky at night was amazingly clear to the point that you could see the spiral arm to the milky way galaxy. Our daytime temps were around 34-36c with lows 29-33c at night. Perfect temperature to have an ice cold glass of Singha at the pool.
As it turned out all sorts of nocturnal animals came to visit us during the night. Large lizards, Geckos, scorpions and toxic tree toads that spray venom, came to join us in the shower/ bathroom area as we quickly discovered. The scorpions around this area are big, black and thankfully not lethal but carry an extremely painful sting.
Early one morning I discovered that we had a very well fed resident spitting Cobra lying on the walk path outside our room. The owners of the resort were quick to shoo it away. It left without causing any problems.

The first night we arrived at the resort, my sister in-law's mother, treated us to dinner with a bunch of family and family friends. Even the mayor came to meet us. I have never met more gracious, warm, friendly people in my life than these. They want to share their stories, culture and living style with you. They WANT to know you!
My wife and I may be Farangs in this country, but we didn't feel out of pace in this town at all. We felt welcome. It's still hard to put into words.
My wife became a bit of a attraction due to the fact that the locals had never met a Korean before. Some of the locals had relatives that had fought in the Korean war alongside the UN, so they didn't know much other than stories.

The wedding day... OMG!!
Here are some pictures to show you.
( a little note: this was the first foreign - Thai wedding in the village's short 700 year history) so the mayor explained at the reception.
The monks for the wedding came by truck... literally, came in the back of a Ford truck.

The reception consisted of nearly 1400 people from the village.

I can say without a doubt that we had quite an adventure, and we will be going back to Thailand to visit our extended family in the spring for sure.
My wife and I also want to volunteer to help the locals of the village in whatever ways we can.
A big thank you to the village of BangSuphan Noi and my new Thai sister in law and her family.

Last edited:

Just a few more pics.

#1 The ladies on the scooter are Family friends of ours. They are all teachers at local schools.

#2 Our resort on the Gulf of Thailand. !!

#3 Bangkok, Wat Pho

Last edited:
Good to hear you made it back safe.
I bet it was good to experience both the goods and the bads of the country!

Good to hear you made it back safe.
I bet it was good to experience both the goods and the bads of the country!

Yes, and I learned as much as possible when I visited. So too did my wife.
It was a surreal trip of a lifetime. I realized just how much rural Thais share everything and that in the rural communities, everyone has a role to play. One family owns all the plates and glasses for events. One family owns a major restaurant and makes food for large events. Another family may have chairs... etc. The Mayor has a large house and opens it up for people if they need to use the washroom while the wedding ceremony is happening...
The other teachers from Macau, were given assigned roles for helping by the locals. It was quite funny to watch. One older lady came over to me and handed me a 15Kg tray with a whole roasted chicken and 2 bottles of Thai whisky and Tom yum Gai. She said to me in extremely broken English. You, Mister.. you take chicken and Sangsom. r~line up heeea... kaaa. Meanwhile my brother and his wife and family were looking over their shoulders making sure I wasn't getting covered in 4" firecracker shrapnel. The town mayor decided to use firecrackers instead of using guns because at the last wedding one person died from a bullet wound to the head. It's rural tradition to shoot into the air at weddings apparently. The laws of gravity are apparently ignored. What goes up must come down. oops..

Quite unlike the "me-first" city types... It's an extremely agrarian culture away from the big cities. The average education is only about a grade 5/6 level. most people can't go past this as there is no compulsory Eduction from middle school onwards. It's a luxury most can't afford. Despite this, it is simply amazing how the locals learn things, recycle and put things together that one would not think possible. Ultimate DIY'ers! One of the local famers had been running his 2 tractor tiller off of palm oil and methanol. It works and it gets the job done. Batteries come the local car wrecker.
There is a saying that you can be well Educated and stupid, and uneducated smart. This is SO true here.

The rural people come across as being a little rough (that's quite the understatement) around the edges, but considering their very EXTREME life style, you get the sense that they have good hearts.
The town we visited was 55% Theravatha (S.Eastern) Buddhist and ~45% Sunni Muslim. The wedding photographer belonged to the local Mosque. He was quite a delight.
My sister in law went to a Islamic based school for her senior years. They were close friends.
My brother and him both share a love of DSLR photography and they worked together at school in Bang Suphan Noi.
Many Muslims took part in the celebration as well. A good portion of the ceremony had quite a bit of hindu symbolism mixed in (that's what makes Thervatha Buddhism distinct from Northern Mahayana in China, Japan and Korea). Made for a very colourful wedding.
(religious tolerance in this part of Thailand seems quite evident)

However, we were warned more than a few times that it's not such a rosy picture in southern areas near the Malaysian boarder. Bombings and insurgency against the Thai Government is a daily occurrence.
The insurgency is largely a land based dispute against the Kingdom of Thailand occupying what is said to be traditionally Sunni territory. This has lead to attacks by I.J. and A.Q.
More than a few tourists have either been kidnapped and or been the victims of bombings.

Thais are extremely kind and open knowing you come to celebrate and possibly learn their language. I have already picked up some Thai from my sister in-law and started to read a little. (It's not as straight forward as Korean or Japanese).
Korean took me 2 weeks solid to be able to read it. Thai is based on Pali and as such has extremely complex sound combinations.

Last edited:
Pics part III

Bangkok

Pic 1# A TukTuk. Half Motorcycle, half car. This is the quickest way to get around Thailand.
It is NOT the safest way. Many people have been killed riding these. The operators are known for driving into oncoming traffic and up on the sidewalk. Yep. We saw this on more than a few occasions.
A few/ very few drive safely.

Pic 2# King Rama IX. The King of Thailand is the head of state and head of the ruling Royal House of Chakri. The king's power is limited to being a symbolic figurehead, but the institution commands the respect and reverence of the Thai people. Failure to stand for the anthem before a movie results in jail sentences.

Pic 3# Khaosan Road. You can find everything/anything being sold here. Many shops sell the typical merchandise you'd find in any other country. However, many weapons, and fraudulent items are for sale. I saw countless fake birth certificates, marriage licences, passports, US, Canadian, S.Korean passports and Fake US military id all for sale out in the open. The people around the id shop looked like they were part of a gang of sorts. Also to put it bluntly people are for sale too. There are many businesses selling mail order brides. You've never seen so many "greasy white pigs with underage/late teen girls" in one area. Looser alley. (sorry if that came across as being overtly racist). Also among the white pigs were older indian men looking for young brides as well. They were hunting for Single European women and locals. I guess each to his own...

Pic 4# Spirit houses. Spirits of the dead need homes too. Thai's believe that spirit houses will help bring fortune to their businesses.

Pic 5#
This drinking establishment obviously doesn't want the middle gender (Kateuy/Katoey) inside their place.
This isn't the norm. Most places are openly ladyboy friendly. It is said that South East
Asian males have some of the lowest levels of Testosterone in the entire world. Low testosterone at birth can cause boys to have their brains wired differently. They are born into a male body but are wired as girls. Also to note that Lady boys are highly protected in Thai culture typically. Many work as prostitutes to earn a living.

Pic #6 Most famous Kateuy in Thailand. "She" is none other than Bell Nuntita.
She is leading the fight to have the legal status of Transgender in Thailand officially
recognized by the Authoritarian Government. Society supports the move. Also fighting
along side her is none other than Lady Gaga.

Last edited:

Arleen

I also visited Thailand and enjoyed a lot to spend summer vacations peacefully. Thailand has nice and beautiful beaches to enjoy the breathtaking views. Koh Samui villas rental are admirable for the tourists stay.

http://justsamui.com/

Last edited: