Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers PL-E PRO Beam expander gallery + update

gismo

Forum readers,

I'd like to briefly share my short experience with Beam expander specifically made for the PL-E PRO 800mW I own. This thread is not about detailed reviewing of the product, it's based more or less on introducing it through pictures that supplement the writing;).
All the necessary description which includes the BE's parameters and attributes are to be found at the following link:

Basically as some other members who already own PL-E PRO I've participated in the following GB organised by Gray himself, the true jetlasers.org representative on lpf.com:

Despite the prolonged waiting time (UPS delivery difficulties:mad:) once I've received the BE and the Titanium B 532nm laser I could start exploring the long light green beam horizons:D.

Beam expander gallery

The actual product consists of 2 key parts: adapter ring which serves as a middle section that is attached to PL-E PRO's outer focus ring (with the original lens cover cap of the main lens removed beforehand) and the bigger up to 10x magnification lens adapter which is screwed onto the smaller adapter ring. Connecting all parts within is extremely simple and they all hold together tight and secure. Using the BE's focus ability is achieved by rotating the fine thread, it's a smooth and problem free operation.

Pictures of the adapter ring

10364999386_4f37f296bd_c.jpg

10365016915_54d67e0bd0_c.jpg

10364564154_29128165e2_c.jpg

10364715683_18085ebc82_c.jpg

Pictures of the magnification lens adapter

No flash, room light on.
10363963975_c6fd9ae30a_c.jpg

Flash on, room light off.
10363735876_9761d5edaa_c.jpg

Front side.
10363644186_25f9cd9bdd_c.jpg

Front side closer look.
10364425313_c046069f7c_c.jpg

Fine thread as a focusing section of the BE.
10364552623_f00fac95f7_c.jpg

Back side.
10363803786_2144dc7b3b_c.jpg

Beam shots gallery

I apologize for not providing more details of the beam focused to distance, any measurements are a subject of further investigation. I understand it'd be fun to try to light a match or pop a balloon from a longer distance, but since I was on my own and also was limited by area/place dimensions where I've been taking pictures and the risk to catch attention of public would have been too great. Not to mention it was dark enough and using a decent flashlight was a must:shhh:.

At least, let me come out with a series of portrait and distance shots:). A heavy tripod had to be used to get the extra long PL-E PRO with BE securely attached.

10368450676_63e404b697_c.jpg

Wider beam achieved thanks to breath condensation and cooler air condition:D.
10368548433_62dc840ceb_c.jpg

10368135034_0e2be604b2_c.jpg

10368016154_2ed0e7bfa3_c.jpg

10368060846_050cd48d1f_c.jpg

10368149674_8c955b7f08_c.jpg

Some angled distance shots:).

Full moon.

10367926835_ff0efd9166_c.jpg

10368100674_e7f02d0b21_c.jpg

10368219304_884f506b82_c.jpg

10368483733_e76c63ea73_c.jpg

Sky high.

10368386073_3fe7a12774_c.jpg

10368065104_ccd6ff75dc_c.jpg

10368083114_9d221e26c3_c.jpg

10367961904_a8f4ff2dcf_c.jpg

10368271586_f131513d25_c.jpg

:thanks: jetlasers/Gray for this great PL-E PRO Beam extension and everyone else for reading!

Last edited:

sinner

Re: Jetlasers Pl-E PRO Beam expander gallery

Awesome shots gismo +1 I really like the angles from which the photos are taken

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

More super pics!
Super job on those beam shots, your choice of backgrounds really makes them stand out! :beer:

I only wish that these new 10x B.E.'s fit J/L's older models.

Great job! I'd rep you if I could.

gismo

sinner, BowtieGuy, spacebirdfameus: appreciate the comments, guys:wave:.

I was lucky to get some really decent weather background, clear skies and relatively mild for this time of a year (end of October), plus the nearly full moon occurrence. I could take the angle shots (beam sky up) thanks to Nikon d5200's rotatable screen which allowed me to let the DSLR lying on the ground (the lens facing up direction) next to the laser standing up, twist the screen so I could see and try to focus the beam the way I wanted and then just push the release button and let the exposure time of 30sec do the job:).

I've spent nearly 3 hours outside, ultimately both batteries squeezed to critical level (that's a clear weakness of this otherwise great camera) and then only I left:D.

NO4H99

Amazing review, as always. You and Brucemir are killing it with the pictures!

(System says I gave you too much rep already, sorry)

gismo

will manners & NO4H99: glad you like them pics:). Brucemir is definitely a master of the indoor laser art photography, I rather prefer the outdoor photo-activity, but in the end I'm just a guy who likes to shoot the photons:eek:.

:thanks:

Another amazing set of great pictures and i know what you mean by being careful with using at night, i always get paranoid about being seen and the "knock " at the door your busted. I would Rep you but system , need to spread more around first ........

I complain about this often. All laser beams look the same pointing into the sky. Specifically to expanded laser beams pointing into the sky do not demonstrate what a beam expander does. Certainly you can see a wider beam, but it does not demonstrate how it allows a laser beam to project a smaller diameter spot at distances greater than possible without the beam expander. So my suggestion to the OP is to do comparative photos with and without the expander on distant targets of know distances. If not done, then it's just a series of photos we've all seen ad infinitum before.

gismo

Blaster: thanks for the comment, bud:beer:. Public safety precautions are extremely important, so they are.

steve001: Point well taken. I totally understand that the true nature, but mainly the actual potential of a beam expander can be tested under greater distance circumstances only. As simple as you've stated. I'm not sure if you've read the entire OP:thinking:, where I've mentioned further investigation, i.e. measurements have to be taken to achieve such a task. Your response suggests like you are giving me an ultimatum:D.

I'm aware of the fact you've experimented yourself with long distance beam of much less powerful laser 532nm pointer -
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/beam-expansion-boom-85141.html#post1232515 - fair play to you for that. Now imagine what would it be with 800mW+ with BE on top of it. For that I'd need a damn large area. Again, the purpose of this thread was an introduction, not into a deep detail digging & measurement based review. I'm already thinking of testing the set-up in a landscape range, which isn't as easy as it sounds, due to my own laziness:na:, but mostly because it would require either way another assistant or telescopic based lens for the DSLR. It's doable I know, no excuse for that. But requires preparations;).

All in all, I'll come with comparative shots with and without the BE, I can promise you that. It won't happen that soon though, I'm busy enough during the week, so weekends would be an option (not the coming one, Halloween is on:evil:).

:thanks: for the comment, appreciate it!

Last edited:

Blaster: thanks for the comment, bud:beer:. Public safety precautions are extremely important, so they are.

steve001: Point well taken. I totally understand that the true nature, but mainly the actual potential of a beam expander can be tested under greater distance circumstances only. As simple as you've stated. I'm not sure if you've read the entire OP:thinking:, where I've mentioned further investigation, i.e. measurements have to be taken to achieve such a task. Your response suggests like you are giving me an ultimatum:D.

I'm aware of the fact you've experimented yourself with long distance beam of much less powerful laser 532nm pointer -
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/beam-expansion-boom-85141.html#post1232515 - fair play to you for that. Now imagine what would it be with 800mW+ with BE on top of it. For that I'd need a damn large area. Again, the purpose of this thread was an introduction, not into a deep detail digging & measurement based review. I'm already thinking of testing the set-up in a landscape range, which isn't as easy as it sounds, due to my own laziness:na:, but mostly because it would require either way another assistant or telescopic based lens for the DSLR. It's doable I know, no excuse for that. But requires preparations;).

All in all, I'll come with comparative shots with and without the BE, I can promise you that. It won't happen that soon though, I'm busy enough during the week, so weekends would be an option (not the coming one, Halloween is on:evil:).

:thanks: for the comment, appreciate it!

I see your point.
How about this then for starters? Just a demonstration of the spot size on a target say 100 feet away with and without the beam expander. The target should be beyond the Rayleigh Range to make sure the spot size is showing its true divergence. If you do, use a dark surface to cut down on spot blooming. When you get around to long distances use a white or similar color surfaces for higher visibility.

gismo

<^>Thanks for the tip:beer:. The 100feet distance is fully doable in my safe (public excluded) area. I will come with pic results within the next 2 weeks (hopefully:D).

532th post reached:angel:.

Last edited:

<^>Thanks for the tip:beer:. The 100feet distance is fully doable in my safe (public excluded) area. I will come with pic results within the next 2 weeks (hopefully:D).

532th post reached:angel:.

Lookin' forward to seeing the pics. :)

Thanks for sharing and the pics... I tried to rep you, but couldn't yet.

Good stuff.

gismo

^ :thanks: for your support, Clayton! Hope you're enjoying your beam expander out there, in fact your thread inspired me when creating my own gallery.

:beer:.

Last edited: