Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JetLasers 10X Expander for Arctic III 3.5W?

ZpankR

Hey guys, long time lurker, new poster here.

I've had a few lasers before but around 7 months ago I bought a WickedLasers (I know I know) 3.5W 445nm Arctic iii Laser and I've been tinkering around with it ever since and it's a ton of fun.

Only thing is, the divergence is kinda awful and I was looking for a proper beam expander.. Thing is, these monsters are pretty darn expensive.

I found the JetLasers 10X Adjustable Beam Expander and I was wondering if it's a good match for my Laser.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I've looked up immensely on this and DIY and the resources you can find online are pretty limited.

Thank you!

Sta

Welcome to the forum.
The JL beam expander is an excellent product, but it is highly unlikely that it will have the same threading as the Arctic. So you would have to jury-rig a mount to actually utilize it. I believe WL has their own beam expander, but it will not be as good as JL's.

ZpankR

Welcome to the forum.
The JL beam expander is an excellent product, but it is highly unlikely that it will have the same threading as the Arctic. So you would have to jury-rig a mount to actually utilize it. I believe WL has their own beam expander, but it will not be as good as JL's.

Thank you for the quick reply, WL does have its own beam expander but it's been out of stock for around 2 years now and it's a bit pricey for what it is.

I'll look into the JL one if the shipping to Europe isn't too bad. Thanks again.

If anyone else has any good ideas I'm all ears!

I have a Jet 10X and the input is 5mm, the output 25mm.

Even if your ribbon shaped 445nm beam can squeeze mostly in at 5mm when expanded to 50mm half of it will be on the inner walls of the expander, some have said to defocus the 445nm, but still you will clip the beam, it can be used, but with significant power loss, that 10X is made for a nice 2mm - 2.5mm 532nm beam with good divergence.

Here's a jet 10x strapped to a NDB7875, that's a 2.5w 445nm and you can see the bar fills the output lens, it should be 80% or less but it fills it and is clipping, the zoomed beam diameter is not much better than without it.

Here I got that Jet 10x to work with my NUBM07 using a G2 primary not the 3 element that comes with the Arctic and defocused at short range I did get a proper spot shape, but it was still clipping some of the beam.

You can use it, but it's not the right expander, you want a sanwu 3.3X.>>>>> SANWU

You would have to get at your lens and use a possibly a hollowed out lens body and a samwu adaptor, or just an adaptor if your arctic lens has exposed threads, I believe they are M9 x 0.5 . You can message Podo at sanwu

Last edited:

ZpankR

I have a Jet 10X and the input is 5mm, the output 25mm.

Even if your ribbon shaped 445nm beam can squeeze mostly in at 5mm when expanded to 50mm half of it will be on the inner walls of the expander, some have said to defocus the 445nm, but still you will clip the beam, it can be used, but with significant power loss, that 10X is mage for a nice 2mm - 2.5mm 532nm beam with good divergence.

Thanks! I was interested in knowing if that'd happen.
What would you recommend for it? I saw some DiOptika DBX Beam Expanders but they're so expensive :(

ZpankR

You can use it, but it's not the right expander, you want a sanwu 3.3X.

>>>>> SANWU

Thanks man! I'll look into it. That was incredibly helpful :)

Edit:

As for adapting the Sanwu 3.3X BE for it, do you guys have any tips? I could probably find someone to 3d print me some sort of fit if necessary

Last edited:
I think the arctic uses the same M9 x 0.5 lens barrel, on this NUBM44 I screw my lens into the adaptor then use a couple of washers to hold the focus, I focus a 3 element to 15 feet with the washers as spacers and then screw in the expander.

53439d1476233752-jetlasers-10x-expander-arctic-iii-3-5w-sany0777.jpg

53440d1476233752-jetlasers-10x-expander-arctic-iii-3-5w-sany0784.jpg

53441d1476233752-jetlasers-10x-expander-arctic-iii-3-5w-sany0785.jpg

LASER SAFETY GLASSES MUST BE WORN AND WERE.

Attachments

• SANY0777.JPG
    SANY0777.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 241
  • SANY0784.JPG
    SANY0784.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 229
  • SANY0785.JPG
    SANY0785.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited: