Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlaser PLE-Pro questions before purchase

Species8472

Hello.
I’m about to purchase a Jetlaser 2.5W PLE-Pro and had a few questions. I’ve emailed Jetlasers but haven’t heard back from them yet. I know they are busy at times.

What type of lens does it come with and would it be worth (or possible) changing it to a G8 for better long range beam specs or should I just stick with the beam expander? Does the newer model of 10x Beam Expander work with the Pro model? At first glance it seems like it’s only for the mini but in the details on the website it says it’s for both. I’m looking at the 2.5 watt 980nm model and it has a fairly high beam divergence. Would the beam expander cut off a lot of the beam?

Does the PLE-Pro come with the push button AND the key lock tail cap?

I read the batteries can be charged inside the laser with the additional power supply. Is this safe to do or would I be better off getting a 22650 charger? Also, what brand and model of high capacity, protected 22650s that will fit should I get? Should they be button top? I don’t mind spending the extra money for quality batteries. The Jetlasers website doesn’t specify what batteries they sell.

I have a few high powered lasers and the proper safety eyewear for them and I’m very safety conscious. Im still learning about all this stuff and feel that I’ve got the basics down, but I just wanted to be clear about some stuff before I dropped a lot of money down for one of these. I prefer to have a few high quality lasers than a lot of lower quality ones.

I’m also looking at getting a Sanwu 7.5W 445 later on. I saw that Jetlasers has a 5W version but that’s it. I wish they sold a 7.5W as I like the aesthetics of the Jetlaser better. I wonder why they don’t sell an equivalent watt model?

I’m waiting until Black Friday to order to see if anything goes on sale. I saw there is a 5% discount code available right now.

Any comments or advice on anything else that I should know are welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:

Species8472

Are you aware that 980nm is not visible to the human eye?
Yes. This will be my second IR laser. I have an IR laser on one of my rifles and also have night vision goggles, binoculars and flashlights. I have a thermal camera too.

julianthedragon

Best to contact JL support for these types of questions. Gray from JL is great at customer service and a super nice/helpful guy. I've bought from them twice.

I can't answer all your questions but I'll do a couple
I’m looking at the 2.5 watt 980nm model and it has a fairly high beam divergence. Would the beam expander cut off a lot of the beam?
I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "cut off", but beam expanders typically lower divergence at the cost of a thicker beam.

Does the PLE-Pro come with the push button AND the key lock tail cap?
Only one or the other, however I purchased a PL-E Pro and requested both and Gray fulfilled it free of charge. This was super nice of him and I can't guarantee it will happen again but may be worth a shot.

Should they be button top?
If it were me I'd get flats. Case A: the flats work, case B: Jet Lasers sends magnetic button top converters with their lasers that need flats.
Also worth it to grab a good/safe charger like this and purchase li-ion batts elsewhere unless you live in China, as JL will have to source from an arbitrarily chosen shop in your country that can ship domestically.

I wish they sold a 7.5W as I like the aesthetics of the Jetlaser better. I wonder why they don’t sell an equivalent watt model?
JL's 4-5W blues are equivalently strong for all intensive purposes. The 7.5W blues are impressive, but they have awful divergence and JL's beam quality is top of the line (divergence aside, that's par for the course with the high power blue diodes). Beam quality will do as much as power for you when it comes to burning/cutting/etc. Source: my 3.5W 465nm from JL is terrifying.

If you take away nothing else, talk to Gray from JL and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Species8472

Best to contact JL support for these types of questions. Gray from JL is great at customer service and a super nice/helpful guy. I've bought from them twice.

I can't answer all your questions but I'll do a couple

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "cut off", but beam expanders typically lower divergence at the cost of a thicker beam.

Only one or the other, however I purchased a PL-E Pro and requested both and Gray fulfilled it free of charge. This was super nice of him and I can't guarantee it will happen again but may be worth a shot.

If it were me I'd get flats. Case A: the flats work, case B: Jet Lasers sends magnetic button top converters with their lasers that need flats.
Also worth it to grab a good/safe charger and purchase li-ion batts elsewhere unless you live in China, as JL will have to source from an arbitrarily chosen shop in your country that can ship domestically.

JL's 4-5W blues are equivalently strong for all intensive purposes. The 7.5W blues are impressive, but they have awful divergence and JL's beam quality is top of the line (divergence aside, that's par for the course with the high power blue diodes). Beam quality will do as much as power for you when it comes to burning/cutting/etc. Source: my 3.5W 465nm from JL is terrifying.

If you take away nothing else, talk to Gray from JL and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!
Thank you for the info. I’ve emailed him but haven’t heard back. I’ve been saving for awhile now and just want to get it right the first time :)

Not many or no JLs with removeable lens. They use the best choice for tight beam and full power. Gray majored in English so NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with translations. If you dont hear back soon PM me for his email addy. hak