Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob Solarforce L2P + custom focusing bezel; 445nm, 18650

lazd

The Kit

Jayrob's Solarforce L2P 18650 kit

The Build

• 445nm "1W+" blue diode from XJA-140 projector
  • AixiZ 445 lens
  • Black HA-III Solarforce L2P 18650 host
  • Jayrob heatsink with thermal glued flexdrive design
  • Jayrob Ez-Focus adaptor with custom stainless steel focusing bezel
  • Flexdrive v5 at 1.4A
  • AW 18650 2900mAh battery
  • UltraFire WF-139 Charger
  • Artic Silver Alumina thermal glue
  • Artic Silver 5 thermal compound

Cost: including shipping, rounded around to some random value of my choice

• Kit: from Jayrob (starts at $55)
  • Diode: from Laser Surplus Parts ($50)
  • Flexdrive: from Flaymin Pyro ($25)
  • Charger & 2 Batteries: from LightHound ($75)
  • Thermal paste: from somewhere ($15)
  • Goggles: NoIR AL2 Style 33 OD3+ datasheet ($125)
  • Vision: priceless
  • This community: priceless
  • Various tools; soldering iron, vice, multimeter, digital thermometer, screwdrivers, wire cutters, wire stripper, heatshrink, solder, wire, resistors, diodes, sponge, electricity, Mountain Dew, Canon Rebel, tripod, remote shutter, apartment, jeans, desk, trashcan, computer, lamp, thing my aunt gave me which I don't know what it is, time it took to type this, beer, taquitos from somewhere: $50 mil~

Total: ~$325 (laser + power source) + $125 (goggles) + $50 mil (tools) + 1/0 (things without a price) = $infinity

Photos: Complete

Disassembled

Assembled

Beam-(close)

Beam

Beam-and-jar

Photos: Build

Ez-focus-and-lens-(front-quarter)

Ez-focus-and-lens-(from-top)

Ez-focus-and-lens

Ez-focus-and-lens-(back-quarter)

Ez-focus-and-lens-(from-bottom)

Heatsink-and-diode-(front-quarter)

Heatsink-(top)

Heatsink

Heatsink-(on-head)

Flexdrive-in-heatsink

Test load (running)

Diode (soldered)

View all at http://www.lazd.com/stuff/lasers/

Notes

The Flexdrive was configured for 500mA-1.5A by taking a 5mm section of thin lead off a 1/4 watt resistor, tinning it, heating it on the soldering iron, then placing it on the Flexdrive with tweezers and cleaning up the edges (while holding the lead in place). The pot was left as it came (by chance, it was where I wanted it to be). I covered exposed pins with a small piece of electrical tape and placed the Flexdrive in the cavity of the heatsink, installing the heatsink in the host and running the leads out the front for testing.

The test load drew 1400mA, dropping to 1250mA when it heated up after 10-15 seconds. The diodes in the test load reached 145F after 10-15 seconds, whereas the resistor reached over 155F. The ambient temperature in the room was 77F.

I thermal glued the Flexdrive to the heatsink, and using a small piece of plastic, placed the assembly in my vice with very slight pressure for 10 minutes. I let the thermal glue set for over 1 hour before applying current.

I pressed the diode into the AixiZ module using the back of the module, flipped around with a medium sized suction cup vice.

I used 0.022" diameter 62/36/2 silver-bearing rosin-core solder and a 25W soldering iron to solder the wires that came with the flex drive. A wet sponge was also involved. Flux was not used.

I did not measure the current drawn by the diode. I assume it was 1400mA as the test load was accurate when tested by Goosesensor.

Also, in case you were wondering: No, it's not actually on display, running unattended at eye level on the shelf in my apartment next to a wine bottle and a fountain. That was just for the picture.

I first built three handheld MXDL 310mW open can 665nm reds with a custom built LM317 420mA "DDL" driver and RCR123 batteries in 2008 with heatsinks machined from Jayrob's specifications, Sony Optiarc DVD drives from Newegg, the hosts/batteries/chargers from Dealextreme, and goggles from NoIR. Goosesensor got me back into lasers when he showed me the 445nm builds people are doing today.

Finally, I'd like to say that Jayrob is a true gentleman. The kit went together like military-grade tinker toys; assembly couldn't have been easier unless it assembled itself, and quality couldn't have been better if it was manufactured by Northrop-Grumman. Every kit component I received showed the quality of a job well done by an experienced hobbyist who, without a doubt, knows precisely what he's doing. I proposed the idea of attaching the Ez-focus knob to the bezel, and he cleverly designed it. I received every part I ordered in perfect condition and was kept updated on the status of the order throughout the process. Shipping was extremely prompt.

What more can I say? Probably nothing, that was a long post!

Last edited:

jayrob

Great detail with excellent pictures!

Solid build man... I would estimate 1.2 Watts. (normal efficiency diode)

:gj: :beer:

But... but... 1/0 is not equal to infinity!

I smell limit troll.

Anyway, added to RT!

drevil

Nice, The 445 looks just amazing in the lp2. My gunmetal lp2 is my favorite laser for a reason.