Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob maglite 2D 445nm laser review

Bounty

Link to this build http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html
After looking at Jayrobs kits for many weeks i went for the Maglite. I got it because it looked beastly, sturdy and powerful. That is exactly what i got, i couldnt be happier with what i received. All i needed to do was fit in a diode mounted in a module (which i got from daguin) took me roughly 2 mins. The batteries were fully loaded so i was ready to go. If i could get it working ANYBODY can get it working.

To any new laser hobbyist who is new to lasers like me and who is looking for a kit these kits are perfect, and the price is extremely good. I mean this altogether with everything (including diode and module) along with a G1 lens was about the price of an Arctic 3 and it is hundred fold better. Heres some pics of it.

DSC00306.JPG

DSC00308.JPG

For people who are wondering exactly what has to be done, all i had to do was put the module in the heatsink (by a grub screw) and attach the red and black wires to the driver. You can tell where that is by the black electrical tape covering the solder. Its much better to use shrink tubing, but i ran out.

There are also further options for the driver such as a FlexModP3 'Hot' option which is extremely nice. The link in the top of the thread will take you to jayrobs build kit there you will be able to see what other options there are. Such as different style maglite hosts, a copper heatsink i believe and of course the very nice driver option along with several other things.
DSC00307.JPG

Heres some beam shots at night, as you can see its insanely bright, i metered it at 1.75W peak, but it can vary depending on the diode. So the same build can go up and beyond 2W depending on the diode efficiency.
DSC00317.JPG

DSC00320.JPG

DSC00326.JPG

And in case anyone was wondering its very capable of popping balloons and lighting matches:D. The expected wait time was 2-3 weeks but i received it within 2 weeks. I ordered another, different kit days after this arrived. Truly did exceed my expectations.

Cheers!:beer:

Last edited:

jayrob

Glad you got it going...

I would like to mention that the back 'barrel' part of the AixiZ module is not needed with any decent size heatsink build. Most do not use it. Just the front 'business' end of the AixiZ module is used.

I thought I should mention that because there is a possibility that the barrel of the module could hit the driver or something...

But obviously it was all good in your build! :beer:

Also, this is the Jib driver 'Hot' option, and there is also the FlexModP3 'Hot' option available for this kit if desired... :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Last edited:

kazzos

Hey Jayrob with the FlexModP3 vs the Jib driver. What is the advantage in taking the FlexModP3 other than the fact that it can push out up to a maximum of 4 amps. I mean surely this extra current will not be needed until 5 years down the track? And what is the maximum safest current for a driver in this build?

jayrob

Hey Jayrob with the FlexModP3 vs the Jib driver. What is the advantage in taking the FlexModP3 other than the fact that it can push out up to a maximum of 4 amps. I mean surely this extra current will not be needed until 5 years down the track? And what is the maximum safest current for a driver in this build?

With a 445??

People have pushed them to 2 Amps for testing, but generally, 1.8 Amps is considered about max...

The FlexModP3 is actually 'over kill' I guess you can say.

But to answer you question about the P3 vs the Jib driver. In my opinion, the biggest advantage would be the ability to easily adjust the current higher or lower...

That said, the Jib driver is a very nice driver when heatsinked properly. See this post to show just exactly how I have it heatsinked:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...button-forward-clicky-57278-4.html#post923379

I contacted jib77 for his advice, as well as did my own testing for heatsinking. It's a nice set up...

Last edited:

jayrob

drlava posted on Photo Lexicon that they will be available at the end of June...

Which is past now, so hopefully the delay is not bad. I have paid for my order, and am just waiting it out.

They will definitely come. He would not have posted if they were not in the works...

Dutch

drlava posted on Photo Lexicon that they will be available at the end of June...
Which is past now, so hopefully the delay is not bad. I have paid for my order, and am just waiting it out.
They will definitely come. He would not have posted if they were not in the works...

I don't blame you, i know its out of your hands.

drlava is starting to get a bad rep here and on other fora, no responce on pm's, mail or his own website, People keep ringing but he's not awnsering:horse:

Last edited: