Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I've been seeing an eye doctor

floaters are usually the refraction of light when it passes the curved surface of tears that have trapped foreign particles like dust.

Floaters are also particles suspended inside the eye, they can come from microscopic bleedings from those little capilars inside the eye. Time clears them, while more are produced. Some people has more than others, but to have some is pretty normal. Hypertension is a common, well known cause of this floaters being more numerous than normal. I am 43 and still have a perfect vision, but from I can remember I have had them always.

Edit: forgot to say that this kinda floaters doesnt have much to do with lasers because they are freely moving particles. If you have been hit by a laser on your retina then that type of floater is permanent and DOESN'T MOVE when you look around, it is there even when you close your eyes.

Last edited:
I've seen them since I've been like 5-6 years old. Nothing severe, mind you, but occasionally I'd see them while staring off at the sky or something in distance with not much else to look for.

If you are noticing yellow spots while looking at a white or light colored area on a computer screen, you are actually detecting the polarization of the screen. This can also be observed in certain areas of the sky. Look up Haidinger's Brush on wiki

Im 27 and have also seen the black spots before but not anymore. Im not sure what made them go away but i dont see them anymore. I went to an optometrist 2 years ago and got some glasses for the computer, maye thats why they have disappeared and i no longer have any issues but then again i have had no exposure whatsoever to lasers, just starting to get into it actually.

health-floaters.jpg
Thats the marburgvirus. You certainly wouldn't need any kind of eye doctor for that. Its more like you need to call the CDC & pray. :whistle:

I'm quite convinced that looking at lasers has caused floaters in my vision. Around the time I was making my 3 colour spirograph and possibly caught a few stray beams, energy spread out by the mirrors but still... I see no reason why a low grade damage to the retina wouldn't result in damaged retinal cells shedding off and being seen as floaters. I won't waste money on eye doctors, it's not adversely effecting my vision and there's nothing they could do even if it was. I'm just saying, too much of a coincidence going from no noticeable floaters to 3 or 4, coinciding with first exposure to lasers.

I remember the floaties back to kindergarten. I assumed they were just blood cells trying to make their way through my eye... Either way it's fun to try to look at them and watch them run away from you:)

The reason everyone who said they started seeing floaties when they got their first powerful laser is because you started paying more attention to your eyes' safety. They have always been there, more/less visible depending on the surrounding light/color, but now you are noticing because you are trying to be careful.

Ash

I remember the floaties back to kindergarten. I assumed they were just blood cells trying to make their way through my eye... Either way it's fun to try to look at them and watch them run away from you:)
Reminds me of Family guy:

@ 40sec