Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

It's an intro post

ThirdTime

I'm old and make lots of questionable decisions, like moving to the southern US. I have 5 children who are learning to make their own sketchy choices.
I like playing with lasers and am always careful and considerate. Nevertheless, lasers seem to frighten my neighbors who are also old. They share their concerns with me by calling the police. I'm becoming very popular with law enforcement.

I hope that's enough about myself because it really goes downhill from here.

You don't need to use your lasers in front of your neighbors. I only use mine outside when it is late and use the tall trees across the street from me as a beam stop. You need to be aware of the concerns of other people and never shine a laser toward anyone or especially in the area where aircraft frequent. You can enjoy lasers in the comfort of your own home.

welcome I think..
Am I correct that you do not need/want us to comment on your 'intro'?
You have started a thread in the welcome section.. So if you do want to have a conservation about your situation you can just PM Paul or myself... LPF has many mature members. And we do care about problems like yours.

W/o getting into this, let me say this. I would find a way to meet with one or two of these OFs and show him the pics I will be right back with. Click link at bottom.
Sky/star/cloud scanning is very interesting for sure BUT other things done with lasers are just plain awesome to see. And they give no cause to be alarmed about. Kids here want to show their folks how a laser burns a hole in a black plastic bag--good move.. not.
Can can't change your neighbors they are old- like you.. and paul and me. So win them over one at at time.
I met with every neighbor when I moved here.. showed them some lasers- explained that I would never be lasing them or their homes pets, etc.
However some are SO pigheaded. if the see anything they call 911. And they know if the complaint is not a good one...nothing happens... so they add something.. same with road rage.. a cell fone in hand is not a gun.. but if the caller says maybe a gun or likely had a gun --they (the police) have no choice.

So you have a perfect opportunity to make someone living near you less fearful with a demo near or after dark on New Years Eve. The beams can be nice with smoke from the fireworks.

Get a neighbor (or two) to join you in a New Years resolution to be better neighbors. (and be sure they have a number to call YOU not the Po Po next time.
Pick your battles.
..and choose the right neighbor for this.

link to just a sample of what some member can do..enjoy!
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/some-new-pics-9-15-18.103405/
VR
hak

Last edited:
I have shown my lasers to my neighbors before. It always seems to interest many of them. I am no youngster either and live in North Tacoma where there are many retired folks. A few have small children, but not many. I have never had the police called on me for anything, so that includes my lasers. You might be able to go out on new years eve and do some sky beams for people. You might be surprised how well they take it.

ThirdTime

welcome I think..
Am I correct that you do not need/want us to comment on your 'intro'?
I dunno. It might be harder for me to volunteer my personal info in a "Be Personal Here" thread because my details all seem equally interesting (or uninteresting) to me. My tentative posts feel not-very-authentic.

You have started a thread in the welcome section.. So if you do want to have a conservation about your situation you can just PM Paul or myself... LPF has many mature members. And we do care about problems like yours.
I sincerely appreciate that. Doubly so because the reason I came here was to reach out to you (specifically) for help with a laser of mine.
I have this exact issue with the same make/model of laser. Should I start by appending to that thread?

W/o getting into this, let me say this. I would find a way to meet with one or two of these OFs and show him the pics I will be right back with.
I've had a couple of "unscheduled meetups" with LEO who've noticed my laser & stopped me to express some understandable concerns. We've had good dialog. My lasers are >1W & I was able to share some safe handling practices (eg: don't point it at your face when you take the cap off). My standard line is to say that I use firearm-like caution. I never point my lasers at another person (or where someone might be) - including at a structure or at a ground/air vehicle.
Beyond that, my lasers are off when a copter can be heard. Rotor pilots can get reasonably anxious, just seeing a laser. I really, really don't want to contribute to that.

Can can't change your neighbors they are old- like you.. and paul and me. So win them over one at at time.
I met with every neighbor when I moved here.. showed them some lasers- explained that I would never be lasing them or their homes pets, etc.
However some are SO pigheaded. if the see anything they call 911. And they know if the complaint is not a good one...nothing happens... so they add something.. same with road rage.. a cell fone in hand is not a gun.. but if the caller says maybe a gun or likely had a gun --they (the police) have no choice.
Yeah, I get that.
The good news is police here tend to be respectful & level-headed. However, they weren't always that way & I've lived in other areas with troubled police departments. That said, I appreciate the relationship we have.
As for my aged neighbors: I live in a retiree, golf course community w/ one of the most repressive HOA's around. For many residents, reacting poorly to the unknown is their preferred lifestyle. I try to accept that; sometimes I succeed.

So you have a perfect opportunity to make someone living near you less fearful with a demo near or after dark on New Years Eve. The beams can be nice with smoke from the fireworks.
Less so since I carelessly cracked the dust window on my new blue.
Go-Go-Gadget learning experience.

I'll close with my appreciation for the time you put into your thoughtful response.

The major difference between a laser and a firearm is a window or shiny surface won't redirect a bullet, but will redirect a collimated beam. So, this is also a safety issue.

The major difference between a laser and a firearm is a window or shiny surface won't redirect a bullet, but will redirect a collimated beam. So, this is also a safety issue.

That and I can put a laser on my gun but I never put a gun on my laser, one is a stand alone self defense tool and one is not.

Lets not confuse the two things, now there are laser weapons but you can't see their beams so tell those shaky knee neighbors to take it easy and everyone standing on the battery end remember that laws change after people are regularly concerned about something so don't cause undue concerns via careless actions and " questionable decisions " Don't let your 1st line of defense be " Well it's not illegal. " because you can be charged with creating a hazardous condition or with any number of cover all ordinance violations, that said I expect most people here are courteous and respectful and learn quickly not to make " questionable decisions " as much as possible.

Last edited:

ThirdTime

The firearm thing is just to quickly communicate a sense of caution to skeptical LEOs.
I wouldn't read too much into it.

The firearm thing is just to quickly communicate a sense of caution to skeptical LEOs.
I wouldn't read too much into it.

I wasn't, the main issue is protecting our hobby and understanding how concerned people might think, don't forget that people may mistake a pointer shown in their direction for an aiming laser so try not to cause unnecessary concern intentionally or otherwise.