Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Issues with soldering

Well I've realized tonight after destroying three diodes and four drivers that soldering is probably out of the picture for me, at least for soldering wires to drivers or diodes, I'm pretty sure I can still solder wires to each other just fine.
Before anyone says anything I have tremors and I can't stop my hands from shaking, and its gotten progressively worse it seems especially with my job and all. I used to do a lot of soldering when i was younger but I think it's pretty much out of the picture now.
Gonna give it one more try tomorrow tonight with a 20mw 638 so I dont destroy me new 445 from DTR.
If anyone else has an issue like this and was able to get around it i'd love to hear it, i've tried something to steady my hands and helping hands for the diodes/drivers among a few other tricks and nothing seems to help.

Blord

Are you using a soldering helping hands ? It could make the soldering much easier.
I use it a lot because the wires, components etc get too hot to hold by my own hands.

cables38.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using a soldering helping hands ? It could make the soldering much easier.
I use it a lot because the wires, components etc get too hot to hold by my own hands.

Yes actually I have that exact one that you have pictured.

jimdt7

Don't tell me you burned the driver i sold you ?

BTW, the best way is to buy some dead diodes for dirt cheap and simply practtice :beer:

Jim

Last edited:
My hands tremble as well. Have you seen your doctor about it? There may be a medical solution.

When it comes to the act of soldering, having good tools will make the difference between success and failure.

Using the "helping hands" to hold the pieces steady is a lifesaver. Although if your hands shake, sometimes it is challenging adjusting the position so the wire and diode/driver line up right.

The next problem is not knocking everything out of alignment with the soldering iron tip. If your iron is too cool you will have to try and hold it steady while the solder gets hot enough to flow. This is where a good, temperature controlled soldering iron is absolutely necessary. You need an iron that is hot enough to make the connection almost instantly, but not so hot it cooks the diode or melts the surface mount bits off the board.

I can't speak highly enough of the old Metcal STSS-001 system I bought off eBay.

Last edited:
You have any pictures of your soldering, perhaps?

Maybe it's not the issue. You'd need to hold your iron on the driver for like, what, 10 seconds flat to MAYBE have a chance at damaging something.

Perhaps your soldering iron is too powerful? That could also be the issue...

The iron is a stahl variable temp soldering station, sorry but my connection is too slow here to even upload pictures.
@jimdt7 im actually still waiting for your driver to come in, since it's already pressed i should just have to solder to the diode wires right?
@T_Warne unfortunately the kind of medicine doctors usually give to people with consistent tremors is seizure medicine i believe which i wouldn't be able to take because of my job.

Last edited:
Well yea looks like I fried a fourth diode and possibly another ghostdrive, eh gonna take T_Warne's advice and see the doc in a day or two. I think its the surface mounting on the ghostdrives that's givng me the problems for the drivers so maybe I'll have better luck with my benboosts.

Going to see the Dr can't hurt.

What style of tip are you using? Is it a chisel or conical?

408-530.01_s310_p1._Vaf93d656_.jpg
Metcal-STTC-045.jpg

Are you using the right size tip for the job? Too small is just as bad as too big.

tipsize.jpg