Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this the tool for changing lenses?

Hi
I just want to confirm thhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Spanner-Wrench-1-32-Great-Tool-for-Lens/201921608990?hash=item2f03773d1e:g:K1QAAMXQMXRQ8y5x

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Depends on what kind of lens you're talking about, I have a tool similar to the tool that you have linked, and it's good for removing larger lenses and other things that have a retaining ring, such as beam expanders, cameras, and even battery board retainers.

IMO, they generally will be too big to work well with the small 9mm dia. lenses we use in our lasers.

Below is a pic of mine that is similar to what you have linked, only it has two ends, a round and a flat blade type on the other end.
I also have a pic of a lens removal tool that I made for our smaller 9mm focusing lenses.

In reality, many things will work fairly well including regular old tweezers and screwdrivers.

Sorry for the big pics.

vVnXJ77.jpg

1Xiaa0K.jpg

dBnVKEU.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks BowtieGuy and LewDude.
I want to try out one of the lenses from DTR to improve the spot of my 1Watt 520 multimode.

QUOTE=BowtieGuy;1545871]Depends on what kind of lens you're talking about, I have a tool similar to the tool that you have linked, and it's good for removing larger lenses and other things that have a retaining ring, such as beam expanders, cameras, and even battery board retainers.

IMO, they generally will be too big to work well with the small 9mm dia. lenses we use in our lasers.

Below is a pic of mine that is similar to what you have linked, only it has two ends, a round and a flat blade type on the other end.
I also have a pic of a lens removal tool that I made for our smaller 9mm focusing lenses.

In reality, many things will work fairly well including regular old tweezers and screwdrivers.

Sorry for the big pics.

vVnXJ77.jpg

1Xiaa0K.jpg

dBnVKEU.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I do not mess with lenses much, but I have used a pair of snap ring pliers for many similar tasks. Something like these: http://a.co/d/7gUnQkt which has interchangeable tips.

Hi Lew,
For retaining rings on some builds the snap ring pliers are great, but for the lens barrel bushing just dedicate a flat head screw driver and Dremel it down to fit inside the barrel . I made one 4 years ago and it works perfect.

Rich:)

Thanks!

Hi Lew,
For retaining rings on some builds the snap ring pliers are great, but for the lens barrel bushing just dedicate a flat head screw driver and Dremel it down to fit inside the barrel . I made one 4 years ago and it works perfect.

Rich:)

Benm

It depends a bit on the design of the actual laser.

Those general two-pronged torque tools are often intended to remove the backplate from watches, and often have a lower limit to which they can be adjusted.

Sometimes they cannot be set to a narrow enough working space, and if the inserts in the lens holder are holes rather than slots that go all the way through you may have to improvise a bit.

And yeah, that my involve (carefully) using some small needle nose pliers instead of the proper tool to get things to fit.