Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this everything i need?

urvi

So this is my first laser build. So far i have a axis laser housing (empty), i have also ordered a mdlx 3450 host. I will order a heatsink from jayrob and the flexdriver from drlave. Not sure what diode to get though (red). Is this all i would need or am i missing something still. Also if i choose to go with a 16x dvd burner diode what would the flexdrive be set to, what about a 20x diode?

I think people were setting the 20x or 22x diodes to 400mA or so.  Make sure you buy a multimeter and build yourself a dummy load (1N400n diodes in series with a 1W 1-ohm resistor; measure the current on the resistor).

For your diode, if you don't buy one already pressed into a module, you'll need a vice to press it in evenly.

Oops, fixed it. I had 350 on there but forgot to kill off the zero on the end when I put 400.

urvi

I have a multimeter to test with, however as i understood it i could just order it setup from drlava. I have a vice also to set the diode in place. So if a 20x or 22x is set to 400ma would the 16x be set to 300ma? Also what is the disadvantage of using the stock lens from the axixs housing? Should I really just by a lens kit from a forum member (can't remember who made them)? Thanks for the quick responses. Im glad i found this site before building that mag lite version!

Well Drlava will preset it, but I find it's always good to verify it yourself, and anyway, if you want to set it to a different value (like if you use a lower-powered diode), you'll need to be able to change the value. The stock lens might not have as good an anti-reflective coating or just optical characteristics, which can reduce the output power. I don't know if they suffer from the heat of the laser light either.

urvi

Ok thanks guys. Ill look into getting a diode from somewhere then and also try to find the lens kit.

urvi

one last question, after reading the faq on how to build one/where to get parts, there was mention of an adapter. Do i need this adapter if i want to use the 16x diode with the axixx housing?

Eku

I think thats just for mendrith modules because they are for 9mm diodes and ours are 5.6mm so they need a adapter.

urvi

Sounds good, i have ordered everything else. I ask for more help when everything arrives if i cant figure it out from the tutorials.

I took good care of him :), his MXDL turned out beautiful! has a 4X blu-ray diode in it.

Picture16.jpg

not the best picture. it definately doesnt do his 4X justice.

just thought i'd post and let you guys know it turned out ok. i built it for him.

Dark