Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is this a good laser for a beginer??

Have a look at >Olike.com<

As you'll find they're up to spec and are of a better quality then the one you listed.

Also PLEASE purchase some laser safety goggles to suit!

Last edited:

rhd

lol, yep - wrong thread. My bad.

Last edited:

Fenzir

I would not go up to 200mw for a starting laser. Stay at 5mw, the beam is visable and much more safe than 200mw, and you can get them for $5-7.

Lumify

I haven't been around recently enough to know about O-Like's reputation, but it's probably in the 50mW neighborhood. I wouldn't count on it being able to burn anything. In my opinion, many people who are new to lasers focus far too much on burning stuff. At 50mW, you could probably burn black plastic a bit if you focused it very carefully, but you aren't going to get the explosive results you're drooling about. You could easily see the beam at night or even dim lighting. Unless you are using goggles, that is best for outdoor usage. If you do use it indoors, either use goggles or EXTREME caution.

50mW would be an excellent power for someone who has not had a high powered laser. I'm assuming you have used standard 5mW lasers. I don't know anything about O-Like's quality control, so I wouldn't be able to rate that particular laser.

Again, you MUST get safety glasses. It is incredibly easy to cast the beam across a somewhat reflective object such as glossy plastic or smooth wood and blind yourself. Ask around the forums, and you'll find someone who has been blinded this way.

Keep a 5mW laser handy in case you want to do some careless pointing. You don't pull a flamethrower out to kill a fly. You could find one for next to nothing either online or at a drug store or something. Hell, I've seen them at gas stations.

Fenzir

As Lumify stated, he's assuming you have used 5mws before. Please for the love of god buy a 5mw before you jump up to 50. 50 can still be quite dangerous.

as for your questions, a 50mw laser could pop a baloon assuming it's focused well. O-like is a reputable dealer. The beam will be visable at night.

BUT also, a 5mw green laser beam will be easily visible at night! If you hold it parallel to your eye during the day in a medium illuminated room (terminology is poor) and point it at a dark fabric or a flatscreen LCD TV, or anything else with really low reflectiveness, you WILL be able to see the beam.

Last edited: